Thread: 2015 shuts down while riding

apriliaforum newb

2015 shuts down while riding

Hello Guys and Gals,
    My bike shuts down while riding and then usually comes back to life with a jerk. Sometimes the rpms just drop to zero and the bike quits. The bike always restarts. It can be tricky in traffic - coasting, jerking, revving. I've seen somewhat similar stories, but not exactly the same.
    Today I rode the bike to the shop to get a front tire installed. 25 miles to the shop. No problems. Tech rode the bike briefly with the new tire. No problems. I headed back home after hanging at the shop for awhile. On the way home it acted up again. Shut down, revs drop, jerk back to life. Revs go to zero. Bike dies. Restarts. Again, difficult to modulate in traffic. Any thoughts about what to look at would be very much appreciated. Just turned 5000 miles. Thanks! Chris

apriliaforum newb
    Fall sensor?
    Side stand switch?

apriliaforum Member
    My TP had no sidestand switch.

apriliaforum Member
    Seems like I remember Micah doing a little research on this. Search tip over sensor, think that’s what was randomly acting up.

Might check that you have the latest map loaded also. Ours did the same early in its life(maybe twice), but not for the last 25,000 or so miles. Ours happened after just pulling off the highway. I clutched, put on some brake....and she stopped running..dead as a doornail. We pulled off the road and restarted. It never never happened again after that second one.
    If this issue happens consistantly, a sensor (sidestand) sounds like a good starting point.

richy
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks everyone. I will check the sensors and map. I will let you know how it goes!

apriliaforum newb
    Took it out for a ride today. Sadly, same old song and dance. 40 miles into the ride the shut downs started. Most of the time, when the revs dropped I could pull in the clutch and rev it a bit and continue - many times for just a few seconds and then repeat. Once in awhile the revs would drop to zero and I would have to restart. It always restarts. I had another 5 miles with no issues on the 65 mile ride. Another strange thing I have noticed - for a half hour or more after turning off the bike, it makes a two tone humming noise for about 5 seconds with intervals of maybe 20 seconds. Weird stuff. The bike does not have a side stand cutoff switch.
    Any thoughts where my next move should be?
    Thanks

apriliaforum newb
    I do have the Lonelec cables. Have not quite figured it out at this point. I would hope I could get some diagnosis capability from the setup

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    You mentioned you took the bike to a shop for a tyre renewal. Is that an Aprilia dealer and do they have the PADs diagnostic set up?
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum newb
    The tire change was not done at an Aprilia shop. The closest shop is four hours away. If the Lonelec could do some diagnosing, that would be great. Otherwise I might have to take it to the dealer

apriliaforum Member
    Try unplugging your tip over sensor under the passenger seat.

Sam

apriliaforum newb
    I had same thing happen quite a few times, pretty dang annoying while in heavy traffic on freeway.
    Mine was from 2 separate causes, now fixed.
    The tip/tilt sensor (inside tail section) failed, now disconnected, AND a faulty Start/Stop/Mode switch in right switch cluster (was told both were common).

apriliaforum newb
    I forgot to mention that I did disconnect the fall sensor before my ride yesterday with no change. I will look into the start/stop switch. Thanks!

apriliaforum Member
    Mine also made a humming noise like you describe, turned out to be pressure in the gas tank trying to bleed off. Did away with the whole canister, check valve deal and no more noise and pressurized tank.

apriliaforum newb
    Ok. Thanks!