Thread: Dash Cams and Modern Technology

Dash Cams and Modern Technology

Hey Gang-
    Asking for a friend... who, uh, "shows" his bike routinely and wants to "hide" his license plate from prying eyes in the public. Security risk apparently.
    He hates taking his plate off for each show, and wanted to know if there was an actual device (pane of glass?) that goes over the license plate and can be toggled remotely between opaque and transparent? He doesn't want it to be a noticeable contraption, cuz that would, uh, take away from his show bike's looks... He's used hinges and cables to remotely operate that, in the past - but that looks a bit naff... surely now-a-days there's a better techy solution?
    I just thought I'd seen around the traps such a device, but haven't heard any first-hand feedback on them? Anyone?
    Oh, the subject line, is uh, maybe a bit misleading... The product would only be used for shows. Not to obscure the identity of the rider/bike, at all, while doing silly things on public roads. Cuz he doesn't do that. Ever.
    We could chat about dash cams, as well - I love 'em.
    Cheers-

apriliaforum expert brandonmccann's Avatar
    I was going to get the HLD folding tail tidy and just have it folded underneath like most sportbikes are. This is technically how my rsv4 is setup as well, but I've got a super bright LED as my license plate light as a tongue in cheek way to guarantee that you can see there is a plate on my vehicle. Now being able to read it when you're not on foot and more than 10 feet away from the bike is a different story.

For dashcams, there's that one on FB I always see that you can have a camera in the front and in the back and it has a small LCD screen for you to view. That one's actually pretty decent, my father in law has one. It's completely wired into the bike and hidden away.
    -----------------------------------------
    *WANT to BUY, sell 2 me plz* - Gilles/Racetorx Ti shift holder, Apex Mfg GP clip ons, Domino MotoGP grips, Robby Moto SBK rearsets; ​FOR 2012 RSV4

[SLAVE I] - 2009 Stage I Aprilia Shiver; 2013 - 2019(highside May 17th).
    [SLAVE II] -2012 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; current - Race ECU, Ti Racefit exhaust, EuroRacing throttle, CRG Arrows, HSBK seat, Melotti upper, tail tidy, road/track fairings, MWR filter, TWM GP levers, GBracing covers, Rizoma sprocket cover, Motobox signals, Marc1 screen, Samco kit,

I believe from a friend that if you put inferred led's around things cameras can't see anything just a vid on Tube worth a watch I like a hinge Idea ,didn't Aus make it Illegal to cover number plates with a product I think it's still cool that we only have to display one plate as well .

apriliaforum expert brandonmccann's Avatar
    for cameras you can totally get a ghost plate.

They also make one that blacks out the plate, but I haven't seen it in stock in years.

Lastly, you can get a frame that has a black curtain that comes down to obscure the plate.
    -----------------------------------------
    *WANT to BUY, sell 2 me plz* - Gilles/Racetorx Ti shift holder, Apex Mfg GP clip ons, Domino MotoGP grips, Robby Moto SBK rearsets; ​FOR 2012 RSV4

[SLAVE I] - 2009 Stage I Aprilia Shiver; 2013 - 2019(highside May 17th).
    [SLAVE II] -2012 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; current - Race ECU, Ti Racefit exhaust, EuroRacing throttle, CRG Arrows, HSBK seat, Melotti upper, tail tidy, road/track fairings, MWR filter, TWM GP levers, GBracing covers, Rizoma sprocket cover, Motobox signals, Marc1 screen, Samco kit,

IR LEDs, eh... that's interesting... High Intensity variety apparently. cool, I thought I'd get some ideas here. For my mate.

I guess our flashy cameras might not work there is some fun stuff out there ,but tell your friend there is always a way

to bring it full circle, and explain the ambiguity... it's not even for speed/red-light cameras (my mate knows how to control himself in those situations) - it's for the dashcam owners (everywhere), that would be accidentally recording your every move, everywhere, all the time. And thus, recording your details when you, uh, or a mate of yours, is forced to do something a bit unlawful but "self preservation" over-rules. So, that's why I was thinking of something "opaque" for most instances, then you switch it to normal-mode once a rozzer is coincidentally behind you... but yes, the research is Hilarious!!!