Thread: V4 1100 gearing recommendation for Track Tuono

apriliaforum Member

V4 1100 gearing recommendation for Track Tuono

Hi there - just checking what gearing ratio recommendations all you track/racing folks use for your V4 1100 Tuonos. I have a 2019 TF. I'll be doing a 520 chain conversion and looking at changing sprockets while I'm at it. I've searched the forums and it just seems all over the place, but I don't think the typical -1/+2 formula that you see a lot on 600cc sportbikes can be applied here.

Context: this is track only bike, I'm riding at bigger tracks like Thunderhill and am moving to Texas in a few months so COTA would be another track.

Stock ratio 15/42 (2.8)
    Dillon Telford who raced Gabro's Tuono mentioned 16/44 (2.75)
    Steve @ AF1 mentioned 15/43 (2.87)

Thank you for your time as always!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I use standard gearing with standard 525 chain ,seems to work fine in UK fast group ,for me sprocket and chain changes may only be of a very small benefit if you are looking for the last half second to be on the podium,and this would be based on which track you were at as you would have to constantly change sprocket combos for each track ,the same as you would have to change suspension settings ,personally I got my ohlins revalved and sprung on my 2016,got a set of oem second hand wheels for wets and put a gabro ecu on with akra and decat ,job done,more power etc and chains and sprockets are all great until someone smokes you on an sv650 and you think why did I spend all my time trying to make a very fast bike faster ,obviously if you are serious about racing and you are as quick as gabros rider or quicker then you may want to look at different sprockets etc for different tracks

apriliaforum Member
    thanks James --- that's the same conclusion I've come to after digging through the forums, chatting with AF1, and with Gabro.

Gabro was like...just buy...ALL the sprockets that way you can swap them based on the track
    I don't have that kind of budget and it isn't a race bike, just a track bike.

I think for now, I'll stick to standard gearing - I'm moving to Texas in a few months so COTA will be the new home track, which *might* necessitate gearing change then. But as you pointed you...we drop thousands on power mods and this and that, and then we get dusted by some 13 year old kid on a SV or KTM RC390.

I'm just gonna grab a slipon + race ECU (either OFT or Gabro) and call it a day.