Thread: How does the headlight wire up?[RSV4]

apriliaforum expert brandonmccann's Avatar

How does the headlight wire up?[RSV4]

I am wiring a Morimoto h1 mini and a halo ring into my rsv4 that's setup with track fairings but has a cuttout for a projector.

I have like 4 connectors on the wiring harness for the bike. Does anyone know which one goes to what?

I'm trying to wire the projector, and then wire the cutoff for the highbeam to the bike switch.

And for the halo ring I want to run it as the driving/running lights that start at key ON.

Edit: from looking at the OEM headlight pictures, it looks like the 2 small connectors power each low beam bulb?

And the other small connector is for high beam?

And then I assume the DRL light wirings make up the pins for the largest of the connectors? Not so sure about that one.

Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190812-222426.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	386398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190710_141127.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	386399
    Last edited by brandonmccann; 08-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    *WANT to BUY, sell 2 me plz* - Gilles/Racetorx Ti shift holder, Apex Mfg GP clip ons, Domino MotoGP grips, Robby Moto SBK rearsets; ​FOR 2012 RSV4

[SLAVE I] - 2009 Stage I Aprilia Shiver; 2013 - 2019(highside May 17th).
    [SLAVE II] -2012 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; current - Race ECU, Ti Racefit exhaust, EuroRacing throttle, CRG Arrows, HSBK seat, Melotti upper, tail tidy, road/track fairings, MWR filter, TWM GP levers, GBracing covers, Rizoma sprocket cover, Motobox signals, Marc1 screen, Samco kit,

Don't forget that the headlights don't normally switch on with key, they come on a couple of seconds after the engine is running.
    Controlled by the dashboard I think.

The parking light does come on with key on & P (park) on the ignition.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Yeah trying to do the halo light as the parking light. I just don't know which wires to splice for everything because of the largest of the connectors.

Judging by the images the wiring for low beam and high beam should be the ones I mentioned. But idk how to make use of that third, largest connector.

Everything should just splice together though. I have canbus wiring and all that as well.
    *WANT to BUY, sell 2 me plz* - Gilles/Racetorx Ti shift holder, Apex Mfg GP clip ons, Domino MotoGP grips, Robby Moto SBK rearsets; ​FOR 2012 RSV4

[SLAVE II] -2012 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; current - Race ECU, Ti Racefit exhaust, EuroRacing throttle, CRG Arrows, HSBK seat, Melotti upper, tail tidy, road/track fairings, MWR filter, TWM GP levers, GBracing covers, Rizoma sprocket cover, Motobox signals, Marc1 screen, Samco kit,

apriliaforum Junkie
    A Fluke meter (DVOM) is your best friend.

I don't have one, but will probably have to source one for this project.

Can anyone confirm any of the connectors pictured or provide a diagram? I don't think anything will actually snap together but I just need to wire the 2 pins on the bulb(they're separate), the high beam solenoid to the high beam switch, and the halo ring to one of the accessory lights.

RSV4 FACTORY_wiring diagram.pdf

Have a look at this one, if it doesn't open, PM me your email address & I'll send it to you.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

thank you very much! I think with that I might be able to find the last few clues to the puzzle.

Got a test light today, here's my findings.

FLAT CONNECTOR WITH WHITE WIRE = this is for the horn

FLAT CONNECTOR WITH BLUE WIRE = I couldn't get this one to light but I'm almost certain it's for the headlight switch judging by the connector type(exactly like the horn switch).

MIDDLE TWO PRONG CONNECTOR = This is where it starts to get confusing. At "key on" there is power here. Judging by the connector type, I really think this is what provides power to the high beam bulb. It is in the middle of the OEM headlight and bike harness.

LARGE 5 PRONG CONNECTOR = This one has 2 positive wires.

Aside from these notes, there's also a separate RSV4 wiring harness. Perhaps I can connect everything up better with that? For the most part, the kit is plug and play with the OEM headlight assembly. But since I don't have an OEM headlight assembly, rather just the bit of the wiring harness that it connects, to, it's a bit difficult.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Be careful which wires you probe using a test light. Just a suggestion. ECU,s can be damaged by most test lights.

Well, I didn't know that. I can say though I purchased the smallest one I could find.

But at least we can say that the bike starts fine I guess?

Anyways did some more thinking and research. Are the relays for the headlight ONLY in the headlight assembly?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to determine if I were to find the wiring for the beams, that without the relays they're probably being powered on key ignition?

I want to just tap the only connector available that has the 2 prong connections(since I feel like this a headlight one), and connect the switch for the high beam to the projector's solenoid cut-off shield thingie.

For the halo ring, I don't think there's a way for me to wire it as an accessory where the projector DOESNT come on at key on, and only the halo, due to the lack of OEM headlight harness & relays.