Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motogp silly season 2019

wow. zarco. huh?
    "death from misadventure"

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

I am gunna put it out there and say that mm will win two more titles with Honda to equal the hated ones record. Then jump ship to another bike. I’m gunna say Suzuki or Ducati. Yuall heard it here first.

ape66

apriliaforum expert
    And for those who said " Zarco went to KTM for the big paycheck", Zarco said he's OK to give back the full 2 years money to KTM when he announce it, Pit said.
    Now he didn't comment whether he said yes or not

apriliaforum expert
    London, (England) 213miles NNW Paris (France)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    I think Yamaha aren't going to want him, I think he burned that bridge. .
    Did he leave Yamaha acrimoniously ? He was riding for a team that were losing their Yamaha bikes, was he even offered a seat in the Petronas team on a Factory spec Yam and turned it down ?

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ZarcoChamp View Post
    And for those who said " Zarco went to KTM for the big paycheck", Zarco said he's OK to give back the full 2 years money to KTM when he announce it, Pit said.
    Now he didn't comment whether he said yes or not
    If they(KTM) don't want it back, I'll have it

apriliaforum expert

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    Did he leave Yamaha acrimoniously ? He was riding for a team that were losing their Yamaha bikes, was he even offered a seat in the Petronas team on a Factory spec Yam and turned it down ?
    He had already signed with KTM before the Petronas team came about. But he did not even wait to see. I can respect that, but that likely did not go well with Yamaha. Of course, I could be wrong.

apriliaforum expert
    Plenty of riders moved on from Tech3 over the years because they knew Rossi and Lorenzo were staying put. Spies got promoted only because Rossi left. When Lorenzo left they recruited Vinales from outside tech 3 . It was not a feeder team

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    I think Yamaha can figure out a way to deal with the straight line advantage of the Ducati and Honda, not equal or beat them but mitigate the advantage. They did it for Rossi against Stoner and Ducati in 2008, they set up Rossi's bike so it could just stay with the Ducati on the straights so Rossi could out brake Stoner into the turns. Granted it won't be easy and Dovi is a demon on the brakes and MM is really only limited by the Honda's braking stability issues. Quartararo had the slowest top speeds of the weekend yet qualified 2nd and finished 3rd and he was down about 14kph on Dovi and MM who were exactly the same in top speed and fastest over everyone else. Rossi was 10kph down and Vinales was 8 down. Morbidelli was fastest of the Yamahas in a straighline being 7kph down. Some of this could have been gearing, or who had a fresher engine, though Quartararo's deficit makes me wonder if he got the lemon of the engines.

I don't think Yamaha changing engine configuration to a V4 will do them any good. It would be a completely, ground up new engine, requiring an all new chassis and it would take years to develop it into a competitive package (if ever).

Yamaha might have better luck trying different firing orders, maybe going back to a screamer engine to get more power if they don't lose too much elsewhere. They're power disadvantage isn't as big a deal at alot of other tracks so I don't think they'll want to sacrifice too much handling for more straight line speed.
    I don't think Yamaha need a V4 (although it could be nice). But they clearly need more power and better engine / traction management. A lot. They are further away on top speed than I think I can ever remember them being. They have never been the fastest down the straights, but they are worse off than I can recall them ever being. And that the Ducati and Honda, while not handling as well as the Yamaha, don't handle badly anymore. Before, Yamaha was so much faster coming out of the corner that their acceleration deficit was not as big a handicap. But now they can't make it to the next corner before the Ducati or the Honda. And once they get passed it gets even worse because they can't make it back up by rolling the corner.
    The only real issues I know of with the inline four is packaging and where / how to mount any extra rotating weight. When the engine cases are sealed you can't simply open it up and add or remove rotating weight (that you made bolt on / off in the first place). The V4's allow you to do that, while the I4 engines have their weight in the middle of the crank compared to on the end with a V4, so you can lighten the rotating mass of the engine to make it rev quicker or add weight to slow it down for better traction. Being able to adjust that from one track to another is a big advantage.

apriliaforum expert
    The 90deg V4 doesn't need a power sapping balancer shaft. That's the main reason I believe that honda went from 75 deg to 90deg

Was it really impossible to make this bike competitive?

“This was my speech at the beginning of the year: ‘It will be better in the next race, we will find a solution.’ But now, as we’ve just passed the halfway point of the season, I needed to make a decision. I have to ‘open my mind’ to other opportunities, even if there aren’t any here now. It seems blocked for 2020. But to continue for the good salary that KTM gives me, riding only for the money, it would be not ‘respecting myself’. I want to fight for podiums.”
    https://www.motogp.com/en/in%20the%2...-so-sad/305055
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by V4Victory View Post
    The 90deg V4 doesn't need a power sapping balancer shaft. That's the main reason I believe that honda went from 75 deg to 90deg
    But all the engines run more weight on the crank then they need to balance the crank. Too light a crank and the engine is actually too responsive and spins too much. But some engines, mainly the V4's, have bolt on crank weight on one side of the engine. This weight can be added or removed as needed. This allows you to change the character of the engine to suit various tracks. Suzuki a few years back (also an I4) made a mistake in picking the weight for their cranks, and because of the nature of their engine vs the V4's they were stuck with it all season as it could be changed without splitting the cases and that isn't allowed. The I4 tends to have there flywheel weight in the middle between the cylinders. Thus it can't be easily changed by the rules.
    As to the angle of the V, sure. A 90 degree V is better balanced but not as compact. That is a different matter.

apriliaforum expert
    The adding weight to a crank issue was highlighted by some last season. It could have easily been rectified for 2019 and may well have been. It isn't the same issue as a balancer shaft.
    Everyone back in 2012 was saying that the Ducati problem was the 90deg engine being too long so this doesn't make a good turning bike. BUT Ducati like a 90deg V or L motor because it makes the most power. Then low and behold Honda changes from a 75 deg v to a 90. It's not about crankshaft weight it's about a power sapping balancer shaft robbing horses at high rpm. Yamaha many seasons ago also changed from a cam chain driven from the end of the crank to a chain driven from the middle of the crank. This was to make the engine narrower to increase lean angle. It may also be a handicap to power. Anyway the bottom line is this year Marc has stepped up his game because his Honda now matches the Ducati power down the straights.
    Last edited by V4Victory; 08-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    I've heard it said that the inline 4 is also wider which extra creates drag down the straight compared to a v4. The Yammie sure doesn't look wide though.
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Aja - When all my dime dancin' is through
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Zarco out at the end of this season... https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2019/...e-split/304917 F***k its not linking in, i copied it perfectly.
    https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...split/4512390/
    “The sad thing is you will never be freer or more yourself than when it’s five in the morning, the sun’s about to rise and you’re out of your mind” Nick

“Trump? He’s as stupid as a man who bought his stupid at a two for one sale.” Nancy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12