Thread: Erratic idle/rough running (apols for vagueness)

apriliaforum newb

Erratic idle/rough running (apols for vagueness)

Good afternoon all.

Iím afraid Iím in need of some advice/assistance please.

The bike is a 2008 Caponord (second generation I believe, indicators on stalks, not faired in Ė in case that makes a difference) on just over 34,000 miles.
    The bike has been running quite poorly at tickover, the revs are quite erratic as can be seen on this video the bike would sometimes stall of its own accord.

I figured that the bike needed a good service and hoped that would sort it - new plugs, oil and filter, cleaned the K&N filter and checked the valve clearances (all well within tolerance) but the problem continues.

I bought the bike from Sloth/Diablo when it had just over 30,000 miles on it. Iím told the bike has the Catfish map, along with twin Remus end cans. Iím reluctant to think the map/cans are the cause because theyíre not new to the bike and the bike was running fine up until 600 miles ago.

Also when idling, the bike sounds like itís coughing or gasping for air. Not a backfire, just persistent Ďsucksí from the exhausts for want of a better term.

Appreciate this is like shining a torch into a cave but if anyone has some ideas on where I should start looking I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Sounds like an in leak of air somewhere. Not too helpful I know, but check all the vac hoses for cracks, slippage. May be as well replacing with silicone as the pipes will be 10 year old plus by now and a few metres of pipe won’t brake the bank.
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord
    NC705X DCT - The Blue Toad
    Honda PCX125 - White Lightning

I've chimed in with this largely useless story a few times in response to identical queries:

I don't know what it is. My 2003 used to do it intermittently -- as in, daily for a couple months, and then return to normal. During these periods I would change nothing to cause the lumpy idle nor to bring about its cure. A few years ago, it seemed to just stop. I think it's electrics related, but I don't have any usable info other than, "Yeah, that's a thing."

I'll get my coat.

apriliaforum expert northernkiwi's Avatar
    I have had a post with similar problems, have changed vac hoses, cleaned steper motor, injector flanges and seals, plus injector relay. Also had coils and leads checked .it now runs better and doesnt cut out at low revs, or stop while idling at normal temps. It does hesitate,splutter when given the gun at low revs in 1,2 or 3rd gear. I have learned to live with, and do not live close enough to an afficianado like grant or aprilia performance. If my health permitted i would try these avenues, first get a full check in regards to an air leak and then get grant to remap, check the mapping. Do not know enough about it to know if the mapping can go out of sinc or what.
    Current:
    2004 capo - the grey one
    Oberon clutch slave, 4cm extra foam in riders seat, RR back shock , Hagon progressive front springs, 4 techauto coils, AF1 fuel line and metal connectors, both brown connectors replaced with direct wiring, kappa racks and Big Husky 46l cases, hepco becker junior top case,mandatory capo stickers, cbr honda mosfet rectifier. Grant of watford,s map.
    Previous:
    Honda CB 360
    Kawasaki Z1 900
    86 Yamaha xj 900
    knees in the breeze is my only disease

Sync the throttle bodies.
    One if the bleed screws should be fully seated (screwed down all the way) and the other cracked open to balance the vacuum at idle. If they are both open somewhat the engine will lope around and the idle will be erratic.
    Some of these bikes have cracks develope in the throttle body to cylinder head boot and the CanAm replacements work. Those cracks can be tough to find.
    The suggestion to change all your vacuum lines to silicone just because is sound advice. They live in the hottest part of the bike so a good idea methinks.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    At idle, spray some WD40 on the boots. If the idle settles down they are likely cracked. A quick check without having to take them off.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum expert northernkiwi's Avatar
    good advice guys, shall check that out NeXT year, season pettering out here, and i live With it.thanks.
    Current:
    2004 capo - the grey one
    Oberon clutch slave, 4cm extra foam in riders seat, RR back shock , Hagon progressive front springs, 4 techauto coils, AF1 fuel line and metal connectors, both brown connectors replaced with direct wiring, kappa racks and Big Husky 46l cases, hepco becker junior top case,mandatory capo stickers, cbr honda mosfet rectifier. Grant of watford,s map.
    Previous:
    Honda CB 360
    Kawasaki Z1 900
    86 Yamaha xj 900
    knees in the breeze is my only disease