Thread: Bedding in new brakes...

apriliaforum Junkie

Bedding in new brakes...

Track day tomorrow, and I have brand new EBC Double H sintered pads on my ZX10. No time to bed them in. Will a couple warm up laps suffice? Any suggestions? Rotors are not new, system fully cleaned and bled.

apriliaforum expert
    Warm up laps should do it, they cool quickly on the grid, I’ve never had a problem, but lever travel may alter in the first session
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I use Brembo RC pads with 5.5mm Supersport discs, just drag the brake when you go out the pits and your ready to go. Last race I replaced them for the race so I had 1 outlap before going full throttle

apriliaforum Junkie
    Thanks guys, worked a charm. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by YVRFACTORY View Post
    Thanks guys, worked a charm. No issues.
    How was track day?

going to any upcoming events?

apriliaforum Junkie
    It was a great day put on by Optimum Performance. Weather was perfect and they did a good job of running the show, including dealing with an oiled track. It was my first time in the intermediate group, so a little nervous initially, but felt right at home quickly; I was getting passed occasionally, and passing some groups occasionally, so I guess that's about right... one of the monitor riders (didn't get her name) led me on a couple of warm up laps to get going, which was much appreciated. Coming down from Vancouver, the only issue was the border; we hit the truck crossing at 1pm and finally got through at 3:40. No idea what the issue was. Then the Seattle traffic was the shits also. With a dinner stop it took us 8 hours to get to Shelton. We will rethink the plan for the next one. I really want to do the Osoyoos track next. Gotta see if there's one coming up.....

It was a great day put on by Optimum Performance. Weather was perfect and they did a good job of running the show, including dealing with an oiled track. It was my first time in the intermediate group, so a little nervous initially, but felt right at home quickly; I was getting passed occasionally, and passing some groups occasionally, so I guess that's about right... one of the monitor riders (didn't get her name) led me on a couple of warm up laps to get going, which was much appreciated. Coming down from Vancouver, the only issue was the border; we hit the truck crossing at 1pm and finally got through at 3:40. No idea what the issue was. Then the Seattle traffic was the shits also. With a dinner stop it took us 8 hours to get to Shelton. We will rethink the plan for the next one. I really want to do the Osoyoos track next. Gotta see if there's one coming up.....
    I hear ya man. The trip to and from are the worst.
    I'd advise leaving Vancouver by at least 10am. Border by 11am. Earlier the better, and you'll just miss the Seattle, Tacoma traffic.
    Last time I went down and got to The Ridge at 5pm. So early that they wouldn't let me unload until WMRRA finished and packed up.

OPRT run a pretty good system. They hosted the Aprilia day back in May.

If you're staying at Little Creek, call-in and ask for The Ridge discount. However, the call-in rate is different than their online rate so do some comparison.

Area27 has a noise restriction unfortunately and if you have an exhaust/slip-on, it won't pass. Kind of a bummer...

Doing any other days at The Ridge this year?

apriliaforum Junkie
    I haven't found anything on Area 27, and didn't know about the noise restriction. My ZX10R has an Akro can and tune; seems pretty quiet tbh, compared to some of the nasty bikes running at the Ridge! I'd hope it passed, but that would sure be a drag to arrive and not be allowed to run.

I haven't found anything on Area 27, and didn't know about the noise restriction. My ZX10R has an Akro can and tune; seems pretty quiet tbh, compared to some of the nasty bikes running at the Ridge! I'd hope it passed, but that would sure be a drag to arrive and not be allowed to run.
    97db is the limit at A27

apriliaforum expert
    Glad your day at the track was a success!

Having said that, do yourself a favor and get some different pads. Even at intermediate pace, the EBC HH pads are the worlds worst pad.

For your pace, i'd recommend SBS 900 RS pads and RBF 600/660 brake fluid.

Good luck and you're welcome.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Well I certainly appreciate the advise. What are the advantages of the items you recommend? I admit to not researching prior to purchase - the Kawi dealer was open, and the EBC's were what he had....

apriliaforum expert
    Well I certainly appreciate the advise. What are the advantages of the items you recommend? I admit to not researching prior to purchase - the Kawi dealer was open, and the EBC's were what he had....
    I was gonna ask, (because it's usually the case), if you bought the EBC's at the dealer. They are the #1 dealer stocked motorcycle brake pad in the world.
    Anything more than standard commuting, and the EBC HH pads are terrible. Sooooo many better options out there.

There are many many threads on brake pads in the Tuono and RSV4 forums.

The Motul RBF 600/660 braking fluid has a higher boiling point. Which = less or virtually no brake fade. Probably the most widely used brake fluid for the track day/ racer. It can also be used on the street with no problems. It's just as happy on the street as the track.

Here's a great writeup of the SBS pads. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...rake-pad-test/

I do use EBC GPFAX race pads in my race bikes. They are on the expensive side (pushing $200/set) and don't last but 3 wknds..

Im using the SBS 900 RS pads and RBF 600 on my street '16 Tuono and they are a night and day difference over OEM.

apriliaforum expert
    This season for the dry, I’ve been using AP Racing 441CRR pads, they initially glaze the rotors with carbon deposits and need heat to work at their best.

*Not good in cold / wet or damp conditions. Use another from their range

competitive price around 100€ the pair for the front Brembo M50 / around 1000km on track, so for a 24hrs Endurance only 3/4 pad - caliper changes are required

Very little rotor wear recorded,

we used to use the GPFAX as these are a great duel conditions pad* btw

https://www.apracing.com/products/motorcycle.aspx
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Here's a great writeup of the SBS pads. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2016/01/05/sbs-brake-pad-test/

You learn something everyday... Great article, thanks.

Agree with motoracerx.
    I had double H sintered EBC on my CBR600RR and those were fading on the track.
    My RSV4 has SBS 901RS and don't experience any fade on the track. Using BMW DOT4 (I get it for cheap)