Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering buying an 2016 RSV4 RR - noob questions

apriliaforum newb

Question Considering buying an 2016 RSV4 RR - noob questions

I've owned 3 GSXRs (600 and 2 750's) and a supermoto and am thinking about getting the Aprilia. That said, I don't know anything about these bikes. I mostly ride on the street (for fun, not commuting or in the rain or anything) and the occasional track day.

Looking at one nearby ('16 RSV4 RR) that has 1300 miles, stock (other than fender eliminator and integrated rear signals), and is $9,500. Does that seem like a good deal?

Is there anything to know about these bikes that would be different than the Japanese bikes? Any weird tools? I do most of my own general maintenance (oil change, brake pads, radiator fluid, etc). Is this a difficult bike to work on and needs to go to a dealer for anything specific? I live in Austin, TX, and we have AF1 racing here.

Anything quirky or weird with this bike in particular that I should look at if I go check it out in person? Or anything else worth mentioning that I might not have considered with these bikes?

apriliaforum newb
    Keep in mind that the 2016 is one year prior to the big updates to the RSV4 including the quick shifter (up AND down) and the TFT gauge cluster. $9500 is a good price for the bike with that mileage, but I personally would much rather have any of the 2017+ models of the RSV4...

apriliaforum expert
    Go for it.Sounds like a great deal provided she’s been well looked after.

apriliaforum expert
    Thats a hell of a deal for 2016! Does it have a clean title? If so I would buy it!!!! Keep us posted!

apriliaforum Member a bathing ape's Avatar
    Best year! Great price too considering I was hoping to get ~$10k for my bike with 8-9k miles in a year or two. Aprilias just donít hold their value well.

How have you been a member for over 10 years and not have had an Ape by now?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by a bathing ape View Post
    Best year! Great price too considering I was hoping to get ~$10k for my bike with 8-9k miles in a year or two. Aprilias just don’t hold their value well.

How have you been a member for over 10 years and not have had an Ape by now?
    Why is it the best year? Is that what you have?

Haha, I really don't know how I have an account on here. I've been riding in the Austin scene since '01 or so, and I did some consultant web design work for AF1 around '08. If I had to guess, I think I signed up then, probably to test something
    Last edited by mcoker; 08-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Awesome bike at a great price !
    You could have AF1 ( the best Ape Dealer /service center there is !) do a pre-purchase inspection and get to know the bike and the dealer for future services . They help with tuning the bike for you and some other things you might not want to do .

I guess the biggest issue with these bikes vs the GSXR and alike is the valve service interval is a little sooner and might require shim replacements . Not that itís a big deal , itís just more money on services

. There is no other bike that even comes close to how amazing these bikes are !

The 17 and up feel a lot different than the 16 and prior . All great bikes !

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaTechPC View Post
    Keep in mind that the 2016 is one year prior to the big updates to the RSV4 including the quick shifter (up AND down) and the TFT gauge cluster. $9500 is a good price for the bike with that mileage, but I personally would much rather have any of the 2017+ models of the RSV4...
    Ah thanks MegaTechPC! I'll look more into that. Are they relatively easy to work on?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro69ss View Post
    I guess the biggest issue with these bikes vs the GSXR and alike is the valve service interval is a little sooner and might require shim replacements . Not that itís a big deal , itís just more money on services
    Thanks for that! I just looked up the service intervals, and all I could find was for track use, which looks pretty involved. Do you know where I could find the street maintenance intervals?

apriliaforum Member a bathing ape's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoker View Post
    Thanks for that! I just looked up the service intervals, and all I could find was for track use, which looks pretty involved. Do you know where I could find the street maintenance intervals?
    First service 600 miles, 2nd 6,000 miles, and 3rd (big service/valve check) 12,000 miles. Recommended to cut in half if tracked.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by a bathing ape View Post
    First service 600 miles, 2nd 6,000 miles, and 3rd (big service/valve check) 12,000 miles. Recommended to cut in half if tracked.
    Not bad! Thanks.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro69ss View Post
    Awesome bike at a great price !
    You could have AF1 ( the best Ape Dealer /service center there is !) do a pre-purchase inspection and get to know the bike and the dealer for future services . They help with tuning the bike for you and some other things you might not want to do .

. There is no other bike that even comes close to how amazing these bikes are !

The 17 and up feel a lot different than the 16 and prior . All great bikes !
    Lol I'm curious besides the auto blipper and tft screen on the 17 how can it feel different than the 16? Same engine same everything else.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Serik View Post
    Lol I'm curious besides the auto blipper and tft screen on the 17 how can it feel different than the 16? Same engine same everything else.
    I never drove a 17 but my 16 doesn’t feel much different than my 2011 I had,other than that ‘11 had a better suspension set up for me.
    The 17 might be worlds apart but I’d drop a wager that it’s not.
    My .02.
    Just go for the 16 mate.Thats a stinking deal.Forget this 17 talk.There we’re guys on here saying that the early valve check on their ‘17 wasn’t perfect as expected so that’s not a guaranteed fix either.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by murphc13 View Post
    I never drove a 17 but my 16 doesnít feel much different than my 2011 I had,other than that Ď11 had a better suspension set up for me.
    The 17 might be worlds apart but Iíd drop a wager that itís not.
    My .02.
    Just go for the 16 mate.Thats a stinking deal.Forget this 17 talk.There weíre guys on here saying that the early valve check on their Ď17 wasnít perfect as expected so thatís not a guaranteed fix either.
    There's about 25-30 hp difference between the 11-15 USA model and the 2016+ so if you didn't notice a big difference in power something is up with your 2016.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    16-17 make almost the same power, but are not the same engines....quite a few changes in the 17+ engines, and the whole bike besides just blipper and TFT dash. New ECU, no variable stacks, different stacks, different pipes.

The 16 RSV4 is really a one year bike..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast