Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar end stuck

Bar end stuck

So, I've got a bar end stuck in my throttle side handle bar. Not sure what's going on inside. I'm able to rotate the screw but something must be stripped inside. I am able to enter the handle bar from the other end with a small screwdriver. I've tried tapping it out but it didn't budge. I shot WD-40 into the bar to see if I could break it loose but still nothing. Any other ideas? I'm to the point of going full butcher and just sawing the end off but I thought I would ask here for any other more delicate suggestions.

Thanks!

The reason I want the bar end off is to replace it with a heavier one. I think the bar end isn't doing it's job anymore. My hand is going numb after about 5 minutes at a constant speed. My left hand is fine.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    StreetCred

2003 Silver, wiring mod, fuel line mod, de-restricted airbox, HoMade exhaust.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    can you die grind the inside diameter of the bar just a tad to let the weight out the end?
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

Quote Originally Posted by thesprocket26 View Post
    can you die grind the inside diameter of the bar just a tad to let the weight out the end?
    The opposite end of the bar has a very small diameter hole ~ .25".
    StreetCred

Can you post a picture? That would clear up some questions.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

Is the bar end weight still attached?

I put a set of vice jaws on the black end to steady it, then loosen the hex head hardware inside the black end. After that I think you need a box end wrench to pull the innards out of the bar. Does this seem correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	386871

When you turn the screw, is the weight also turning? If so, you'll need something to grip the weight so it does not turn while you are unscrewing the center bolt.

Something like a plumber's strap wrench https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alltrade...yABEgJyZPD_BwE

or a pair of padded, curve jaw pliers - or if you don't care what the OE one looks like after the fact - channel locks.

Quote Originally Posted by thesprocket26 View Post
    Is the bar end weight still attached?

I put a set of vice jaws on the black end to steady it, then loosen the hex head hardware inside the black end. After that I think you need a box end wrench to pull the innards out of the bar. Does this seem correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	386871
    Yeah, the weight is still attached. From what I remember, these aren't the normal expanding rubber bar ends. They have two steel/aluminum wedge blocks that lock to the inside of the handle bar when you tighten the screw. I'll have to take the left side off and take some pictures.
    StreetCred

I just checked mine and the weight does turn with the bolt. Just holding the weight by hand doesn't give enough leverage to hold the weight from turning. Gonna need help - like that strap wrench.

It's either a cone wedge or a split wedge like what you'd find on a bicycle stem. Once you get the bolt loose a bit, giving it a tap inward will unload the wedge.

Oh, you might be able to hold the weight by hand if you have an air/electric impact wrench to bang on the bolt

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    I just checked mine and the weight does turn with the bolt. Just holding the weight by hand doesn't give enough leverage to hold the weight from turning. Gonna need help - like that strap wrench.

It's either a cone wedge or a split wedge like what you'd find on a bicycle stem. Once you get the bolt loose a bit, giving it a tap inward will unload the wedge.
    I can hold the weight by hand and turn the screw. That leads me to believe that something in stripped inside. I think I have the split wedge type. I'll try giving it a smack from the outside. I can put a hex bit into the screw head so I'm not hitting the weight.
    StreetCred

I don't know if there's a nut inside or the bolt threads into the wedge. You don't want to completely unscrew the bolt - especially if there's a nut in there that'll fall off.

Hah, this is clearly not the 1st time you've been frustrated by this.

from 2102 https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...r-ends-removal Once the crew is out, the entire assembly should just pull out. Seems they get rusted in and take some lubrication and persuasion to come out.

I've not touched mine. Hope not to have a need

Hah, this is clearly not the 1st time you've been frustrated by this.

from 2102 https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...r-ends-removal Once the crew is out, the entire assembly should just pull out. Seems they get rusted in and take some lubrication and persuasion to come out.

I've not touched mine. Hope not to have a need
    Yeah, I do seem to remember going down this path before. That was to get the original bar ends off. Now my replacements don't want to come off.
    StreetCred

If you haven't gotten it out, think I'd remove the bolt and spray some silicone or maybe even PBlaster or whatever in there and let it cook over night.

If you haven't gotten it out, think I'd remove the bolt and spray some silicone or maybe even PBlaster or whatever in there and let it cook over night.
    One step ahead of you. I tried prying it out last night but didn't have any luck. I can't get the bolt out. It just spins. Doesn't matter what I do with the weight - hold it or let it spin. The screw or bar end assembly will not come out.

I sprayed it last night and will have another go at it tonight.
    StreetCred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast