Thread: Ominous engine sound

Ominous engine sound

Was riding at @ 45 mph and heard a metal breaking/snapping sound inside the engine and the bike cut out. I immediately pulled in the clutch so there was no rear wheel lockup/skidding. Did not try re-starting it and had it towed back. So far I've drained the oil and found no metal shavings or swirl. But in 6th gear w/ plugs removed, when rotating the crank in either direction, the engine advances only @ 1/4 turn before it locks up solid. There's no grinding sounds during this and my next step is to remove the valve covers to look at the cams and timing chain. Any ideas of possible causes from experienced engine builders are welcome, thanks. I'm guessing its a valve/timing chain issue.

apriliaforum Member Skipbarberman's Avatar
    Really sorry man.........that SUCKS.

Total guess.......broken camshaft.

apriliaforum Junkie
    If there was no oil light engine can be fine. Remove left engine cover. Mayby alternator came loose or sprag bolts snapped? They can make it lock.. Also you can look on conrods if you have left cover removed.. Spin the engine by hand without spark plugs with cover off

Wysłane z mojego SNE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I removed the rear valve cover, and while advancing the motor via the crank, one exhaust valve remains in the "open" position and causes the engine to lock up once the cam lobe high point makes contact w/ it. I'll remove the front cover next to see if more are damaged. A local shop adjusted the valves @ 2k miles ago, the motor has 20k miles, I always change oil @ 2-3k miles and never redline it, but it was tracked by its 2 previous owners. I have an idea of what's involved to replace a valve or 2, not to mention possible damage to the pistons so I'll be looking for a donor motor or crashed RSV/Tuono.
    Last edited by TeddyG; 08-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    So valve is bent. Head off and pray. Mayby piston will be fine. Sometimes when the valves are too tight they can unlock them self and fall. Some time ago in my friends gsxr 1000 one valve snapped on the top of it where this two little metal pieces holds it in place. He buy new head and it run fine with old piston.

Wysłane z mojego SNE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka