Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going Italian

apriliaforum Member
    you. will. not. regret.

this is a great bike. from the part where the tires touch the road to the bar-ends touching your pinky... it will make you smile every time you twist the throttle.

i am just as excited to leave a movie or get out of the shower before work knowing i'm going to get on this machine... and,

sunday mornings in the twistys - tucked up tight against the tank, outside foot raised up, knee in the tank, inside foot gripped on toes, knee out - is the highlight of my week.... every week.
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
    2017 Triumph Bonneville T120 Black
    1987 Honda Sabre 750
    1983 Honda 450C
    Others in here can't remember...
    1979 Yamaha 125 or something. It was purple. Left in pieces in my Mom's shed. RIP.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
    Let me guess... wrong polarity? What happened? Did your ABS motor go wacky ?
    Yes wrong polarity...it blew the fuse in the tailpiece. I was horrified for a few minutes.
    Last edited by Two Oh No; 08-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    2016 Factory...Cujo
    2004 Hayabusa...Tango
    2006 Honda ST1300...STella
    2003 Zuma...no nick name

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtich View Post
    you. will. not. regret.

sunday mornings in the twistys - tucked up tight against the tank, outside foot raised up, knee in the tank, inside foot gripped on toes, knee out - is the highlight of my week.... every week.
    It's Saturday for me but I agree. I have never ridden anything quite like this.
    2016 Factory...Cujo
    2004 Hayabusa...Tango
    2003 Zuma...no nick name

apriliaforum prov-nov
    IMO, buying a Japanese motorcycle is like buying an appliance. Buying a Euro bike like an Aprilia stirs the emotion and maybe even the soul. I don't know if there's a reasonable explanation besides just do it...and decide for yourself. It's a different experience for everyone (until your stator goes out and leave you stranded. Just kidding).
    Current rides

2016 Aprilia Tuono
    2016 KTM 1190
    2015 Kawasaki ZX14r
    2015 Yamaha FJR1300es
    2013 Triumph Speed Triple
    2013 Victory Vision

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVILDAWG View Post
    IMO, buying a Japanese motorcycle is like buying an appliance. Buying a Euro bike like an Aprilia stirs the emotion and maybe even the soul. I don't know if there's a reasonable explanation besides just do it...and decide for yourself.
    This for me. I finally just did it. Been riding Triumph triples for years until finally just doing it. I finally got the Tuono Iíve been lusting for! And itís great!
    I canít speak much to longtime ownership since I only have had mine for two months. However, I can say the bike does something different than anything Japanese Iíve owned. Idk, maybe we think it speaks to the soul because itís actually our conscience attempting to justify spending so much money on something ďa little differentĒ but weíre distracted by that lovely V4 and ignore all rational thoughts, or maybe they do have a character that tugs at your heart strings. Who knows!

apriliaforum newb
    I was the same, 50 odd jap bikes and a few triumphs, and off roaders, get a test ride. This bike is on another level, every mile is a joy, has to be the best road bike ever, it is faultless, and that noise, where as the R1, has a shit riding position/brakes/no midrange, jap bikes are soulless appliances imao

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by ianzz View Post
    I was the same, 50 odd jap bikes and a few triumphs, and off roaders, get a test ride. This bike is on another level, every mile is a joy, has to be the best road bike ever, it is faultless, and that noise, where as the R1, has a shit riding position/brakes/no midrange, jap bikes are soulless appliances imao
    Yeah, but they (jap bikes) win races, and the reliability stakes over all.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Yeah, but they (jap bikes) win races, and the reliability stakes over all.
    Er- 54 world titles, and this is about a road bike, durr.............. might be slightly more unreliable but then so is a Ferrari and i'll take that anyday

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by ianzz View Post
    Er- 54 world titles, and this is about a road bike, durr.............. might be slightly more unreliable but then so is a Ferrari and i'll take that anyday
    Last World title would be Biaggi? Racing improves the breed. Bike makers enter racing because once upon a time, as a win on Sunday, sell on Monday. IE Lots of Repsol Honda's. Ive had around 20 new road bikes, (4 Aprilia) and only 1 has been Japanese, i personally don't see anything that the Japanese make as anything i want of recent years. They, well big road Jap sports bikes are just not selling here anymore, But theres nothing wrong with the quality, its just the buyers of motorcycles are getting older, hence the limited market for sports bikes.
    Last edited by DaveNZ; 08-14-2019 at 04:43 AM.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

I have a fairly large group of riding friends, not that we all ride together, just small groups of different people. We ride hard. I've offered a ride on the Tuono to a lot of them. They ALL come back saying, "you're cheating. That bike is so good it's not fair".
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered. (George Best, RIP)

apriliaforum expert
    Last World title would be Biaggi? Racing improves the breed. Bike makers enter racing because once upon a time, as a win on Sunday, sell on Monday. IE Lots of Repsol Honda's. Ive had around 20 new road bikes, (4 Aprilia) and only 1 has been Japanese, i personally don't see anything that the Japanese make as anything i want of recent years. They, well big road Jap sports bikes are just not selling here anymore, But theres nothing wrong with the quality, its just the buyers of motorcycles are getting older, hence the limited market for sports bikes.
    Last WSBK title was Sylvain Guintolli on the Aprilia. That was before the sanctioning body changed the rules to slow down Aprilia. Guintolli’s bike had more than 240 HP, and he could pass everyone on the straights.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    1983 Yamaha XJ650LK Seca Turbo
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

apriliaforum Member
    They, well big road Jap sports bikes are just not selling here anymore, But theres nothing wrong with the quality, its just the buyers of motorcycles are getting older, hence the limited market for sports bikes.
    We're getting older and maybe more demanding. As good as the Japanese big four hyper naked bikes are, they're no contest to the Tuono. I made super sure before buying lol.
    2016 Factory...Cujo
    2004 Hayabusa...Tango
    2003 Zuma...no nick name

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I think the Italian vs Jap argument will run and run. I've owned plenty of both in my riding career and I think it boils down to what you like on the day. Like many of us, I'd have a garage full of bikes from various manufacturers and countries if I could afford to do so and I'm pretty sure there would be examples of both in there. Let's face it my 'massive collection' of two motorbikes currently lists one of each! Lol.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum prov-nov
    In all honesty tho, I really wanted to get the new Honda CB1000R, but the insurance rates are double what I pay for the Tuono. The same could be said for the Yamaha MT10 and the other Japanese liter bikes. I can only guess that there are a lot more Japanese liter bikes on the roads in California, which means a lot more insurance claims, and maybe not so much with the Tuono and even the Speed Triple. Even my ZX14r insurance rates are lower then the Japanese liter bikes.
    Current rides

2016 Aprilia Tuono
    2016 KTM 1190
    2015 Kawasaki ZX14r
    2015 Yamaha FJR1300es
    2013 Triumph Speed Triple
    2013 Victory Vision

Quote Originally Posted by 181_Junkie View Post
    Rode jap bikes my whole life currently own 16' R1 and 12' wr450 sumo but was considering getting rid of one or the other (or both) for a newer tuono for a more comfortable ride but also keep the sporty feeling. The R1 just sucks everywhere you're cruising and is only fun when you're in the throttle. Anyways what can i expect different as far as maintenance/longevity compared to the japanese bikes? I've never had a issue out of any of the jap bikes i've owned. I see people trouble free and then I see some with horror stories on their rsv4/tuonos. I don't wanna jump into this thinking theres a 50% chance I'm gonna see problems the first 10k miles and the closest dealership is about 1hr away as well.
    Without doubt the best bike I have ever owned its just fantastic.Does everything you need and the sound from that V4 is unreal, you will not regret it.We have all had Japanese bikes and there is nothing wrong with them except they are a bit boring and their styling will never be what an Italian can do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast