Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of going Italian

apriliaforum newb

Thinking of going Italian

Rode jap bikes my whole life currently own 16' R1 and 12' wr450 sumo but was considering getting rid of one or the other (or both) for a newer tuono for a more comfortable ride but also keep the sporty feeling. The R1 just sucks everywhere you're cruising and is only fun when you're in the throttle. Anyways what can i expect different as far as maintenance/longevity compared to the japanese bikes? I've never had a issue out of any of the jap bikes i've owned. I see people trouble free and then I see some with horror stories on their rsv4/tuonos. I don't wanna jump into this thinking theres a 50% chance I'm gonna see problems the first 10k miles and the closest dealership is about 1hr away as well.

apriliaforum Member
    better low and mid range power band with excellent top end as well.

more upright riding position.

easy to cruise around on or haul the mail, if you're into that sort of thing.

I think by 2017 Aprilia had sorted most of the worrying bugaboos. Japanese machines are reliable but not perfect; R1 transmissions, Honda CBR300R crankshafts; CB500F and CBR500R starter relays, fuel level sensor floats, leaking rocker shaft bolts etc.

Just test ride the Tuono. The rest will handle itself after you've fallen for it
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory

apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    The biggest thing I've found, and most others have as well, is the character the motor has. The R1 is the better of the jap bikes, but they all have a boring power curve and a whiny engine. The V4 in these Italian machines growl, and they have crazy low end for what they offer up top as well. You'll also find the chassis in particular on the tuono/RSV4 to be absolutely top shelf.

Now they bikes arent "unreliable", but I wouldnt call them reliable either. They're much lower volume production wise than say an R1, so quirks in production can take a while to iron out. But that also leaves you with a bike that turns heads, because people rarely see them.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastynacho View Post
    But that also leaves you with a bike that turns heads, because people rarely see them.
    This is true.

It was fun at first, but after a while, having to play twenty questions every other gas stop can get annoying.
    You don't need to earn my respect.
    I give it freely.
    Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    If the budget can afford a 2019 Factory model, with the electronic suspension, and a 24 month warrantee, go for it. Power is nothing without poise and great suspension. Ohlins Electronic suspension is amazing.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

apriliaforum expert
    My Tuono's been to the dealer once for warranty work (wonky dash replaced) and never been back in 39,000 street miles. Perfectly reliable, never stopped running ever, never failed to start. I do the routine maintenance.
    Hoosier, not hoser.
    2000.5 Mille R - Ti Shotguns & lots of Evo shtuff
    2016 Tuono 1100 Factory
    1983 Yamaha XJ650LK Seca Turbo
    2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE

Haven't owned any of the Piaggio Aprilias (post 2009 or so), but have had 5 "older" Aprilias, as well as 20 Guzzis, a few Ducatis, plus some Vespas. Italians have a different philosophy about life--and their products--and it shows. Personally, I would never own an Asian vehicle (have & hated them). They have their own mythology (just as you obviously think Italian vehicles are unreliable). If you have the temperance, passion & understanding to appreciate what is Italian, I say go for it!
    The Patriarch of the SuperNaked: '05 TF

Aprilias formerly owned: '02 ETV 1000 Caponord, '00 650 Pegaso Cube, '04 RST 1000 Futura, '99 RS 50 (70)

learn to do your own maintenance(valve job) ,and once the warranty lapsed,you'd be a happy camper-mechanic. it's true the tuono caracter-personalty is something very special.it,s a superbike with higher bars and relax riding position.the frame behavior is awesome. if they were as reliable as their japanese counterpart,aprilia would sell much,much more bikes .

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Just do it!
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum Member
    My '16 hasn't had a bit of trouble either (except the time I hooked up the battery wrong lol). Best bike by far I've eve ridden. As great as the engine is, I think the suspension/chassis is even better. If you like the twisties, you'll love it.
    2016 Factory...Cujo
    2004 Hayabusa...Tango
    2006 Honda ST1300...STella
    2003 Zuma...no nick name

apriliaforum expert johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Oh No View Post
    (except the time I hooked up the battery wrong lol).

Let me guess... wrong polarity? What happened? Did your ABS motor go wacky ?

OP has the one post. I don't think he's coming back. Troll?
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    OP has the one post. I don't think he's coming back. Troll?
    I’m here just a lot of heaving thinking lol, the super moto is going for sure but debating if I want to keep the r1 or not. I love the bike but just for the track or the mountains. People keep telling me I would put the r1 up for sale after riding the aprilia. I think I just need to test ride one to make up my mind.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by 181_Junkie View Post
    I’m here just a lot of heaving thinking lol, the super moto is going for sure but debating if I want to keep the r1 or not. I love the bike but just for the track or the mountains. People keep telling me I would put the r1 up for sale after riding the aprilia. I think I just need to test ride one to make up my mind.
    Im came from where your standing, fearful of reliability....., how will it ride....., will i hate it... all i will say is i had to ride my CBR after being on the Tuono for 3 months and i said out loud to myself "wow this sucks" ( disclaimer: It was mostly in reference to the riding position)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast