Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MotoGP: 2019 Round 11 - Red Bull Ring - Spielberg AUSTRIA

apriliaforum expert cggunnersmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    Alex has consistently been a front runner in the class, he hasn't dominated like he currently is and it took him a few races this season to gel with the new engine and chassis but he's been in dominant form since that point so I can't see how any of the teams with contracts up at the end of the season weren't looking at him. Moto2 went from peaky 600's to more powerful (with a broader powerband) 765 triple and he's been on a tear the last half dozen races. Granted the KTM's have been largely nowhere, having seriously flubbed their chassis at the start. But not all of the front runners on Kalex's last season have adapted as well to the new package and others who were nowhere on the 600's are suddenly fighting for podiums and wins (looking at you Remy). Time will tell how well the new Moto2 bikes are as stepping stones to MotoGP but I'd have to think it's a bit closer to the premiere class with the more powerful engine and broader power band similar to the big bikes (you know, minus the hundred odd horespower).

Granted winning streaks in Moto2 don't guarantee someone will do great in MotoGP. Bradl dominated the first half of his Moto2 championship season until MM got adapted then he dominated the 2nd half of that season though Bradl was still able to take the title yet Bradl is out as a permanent rider and barely got a couple podiums in his day (granted he wasn't on a Repsol Honda) and MM is shattering records and winning left, right and center.

I don't see Alex having equal talent to his brother but he is talented enough that more than one GP team should want him when he does move up.

Actually that's one thing I haven't looked at yet, if and how much faster are the 765 bikes over the 600's. In both lap times and top speeds. I need to look into that.
    Found this article (https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ower-unveiled/), looks like the Triumph engines only make about 8hp more than the Honda engines, doesn't seem like much considering the displacement advantage. The 675cc Daytonas competed directly against those Honda engines. Granted, first season, probably more concerned with power delivery and more importantly, reliability over the season. I'm sure there's room to improve the HP numbers over the 138hp given.

But still, 8hp isn't a small number considering the power to weight ratios at play and they claimed the Triumph engine is lighter than the Honda. Now I need to look at lap times and top speeds...
    Brent
    Chief Gunnersmate
    U.S. Coast Guard (retired)
    Orlando Area
    '12 Tuono V4
    '03 Tuono (For Sale)
    '01 Speed Triple (RIP) 8/26/11
    '98 GSXR 600 (traded for the Tuoldo)
    '86 VFR Interceptor (died in Puerto Rico 20 years ago)

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by cggunnersmate View Post
    Found this article (https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...ower-unveiled/), looks like the Triumph engines only make about 8hp more than the Honda engines, doesn't seem like much considering the displacement advantage. The 675cc Daytonas competed directly against those Honda engines. Granted, first season, probably more concerned with power delivery and more importantly, reliability over the season. I'm sure there's room to improve the HP numbers over the 138hp given.

But still, 8hp isn't a small number considering the power to weight ratios at play and they claimed the Triumph engine is lighter than the Honda. Now I need to look at lap times and top speeds...
    When the Honda powered Moto2 bikes first came out they made less power than a SuperSport spec Honda 600. It took them a while to get to where they ended up. I suspect it will be much the same for the Triumph engine. That said, the difference in peak power is likely only half the story. The triple likely has a lot more area under the curve, meaning it makes more power over a wider range of rpm. And likely more torque by a fair bit. That extra torque seems to have messed up some riders and / or chassis's and helped others. Alex seems good at using the extra torque. But Binder was spectacular at it last time out.

To be honest, Binder got pretty lucky with people wrecking behind him. He was not the fastest on the track.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by meanstrk View Post
    To be honest, Binder got pretty lucky with people wrecking behind him. He was not the fastest on the track.
    Actually, I think it was Alex that got lucky with that. Not sure he would not have been top 5 if not for the people crashing. But none of them looked to have enough pace to challenge Binder, at least not without crashing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345