Thread: Battery draw

apriliaforum newb

Battery draw

Hello all. Anybody run into what seems to be a battery draw issue on there Tuono? I have a 2018 factory had the battery replaced at 2,000 miles under warranty, less than 1 month and 500 miles.......dead battery . Taking it back to the dealer for another try Tuesday.

apriliaforum Member
    Yep, if I don't ride the bike within two weeks and forget to put it on the charger it won't start. On my second battery still does the same, all electrics check out.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I had a battery draw on my 2019 few months ago: stopped at a petrol station and after refuelling the bike didn't start. Battery replaced under warranty now seems ok.

The factory battery has a rated capacity of 9.5Ah. Figure the battery would be considered "dead" at a 25% SOC that means the usable capacity is 75% of 9.5Ah or 7.2Ah. If you had a 20-milliamp (0.02-amp) draw to power battery-backed memory in the ECU and the clock, memory backup and anti-theft circuits in the instrument panel your battery would be dead in 2 weeks.

This is just demonstrative of how so-called "quiescent" current draw (i.e. current draw when the key is off) can drain a battery over time. If you're worried about it, buy a DMM and measure it on your own bike.

Otherwise, buy a battery tender and connect it when you're not going to be using the bike for longer periods of time.
    2017 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    The factory battery has a rated capacity of 9.5Ah. Figure the battery would be considered "dead" at a 25% SOC that means the usable capacity is 75% of 9.5Ah or 7.2Ah. If you had a 20-milliamp (0.02-amp) draw to power battery-backed memory in the ECU and the clock, memory backup and anti-theft circuits in the instrument panel your battery would be dead in 2 weeks.

This is just demonstrative of how so-called "quiescent" current draw (i.e. current draw when the key is off) can drain a battery over time. If you're worried about it, buy a DMM and measure it on your own bike.

Otherwise, buy a battery tender and connect it when you're not going to be using the bike for longer periods of time.
    Yep, you got it, battery tender is the way to go.

Even tells you in the owners manual to disconnect & charge the battery if bike is not used for 2 weeks or more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3406.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	386052
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for the feedback. I ride the bike 3 to 4 times a week. At most the bike will sit for 2 days seems like there is a excessive drain on the battery. Its back at the dealer I will update soon I hope.

apriliaforum newb
    Do you lock your steering when parking your bike? Sometimes I get careless when I do, and turn the key all the way to parking position which turns on the daytime/rear tail light on, draining the battery.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Do you have a GPS/theft system? My buddy had one on there and it turned out it was sending signals every time it detected motion, which since it was set really sensitive turned out to be basically all the time. His battery would be dead in like 2 days. He disconnected it to be sure and didn't have any other issues.