Thread: decided to keep my futura! actually like it better than my new bike!

apriliaforum Member chefdanny69's Avatar

decided to keep my futura! actually like it better than my new bike!

Hello all! well i decided to keep my futura! i just got a 2018 kawasaki c-14, i had it 3 months now and put 7k miles on it and i must say i really like my futura better! the c14 is great on the highway and really long distances! but the futura is something special! i find myself wanting to ride the futura more and more! i used to think it was big! compared to the c14 its small, lighter and much more agile and just as fast! i do have my future geared down!

Now my question! should i keep my futura stock? its been stock its whole life! not many stock futuras i think? i still have my frame stickers on it! also does anyone have a picture of the stock tank sticker set up?

i also will need to do my own service on my bike, since my service shop closed! i need to do a clutch slave cyclinder replacement and oild change and clutch lever replacement! any help would be great!

always The chef

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Search this forum, plenty of great info on all the servicing. As far as stock, we have itentified what factory componets fail, so thats up to you knowing they might not have the longevity you require. Glad you decided to keep the Futura. I am always drawn back to it as well.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

Maybe if you'd sprung for the H2, you'd not feel the same.

Your Fut is likely in need of a new shock by now, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Leave it stock.

But take those damn stickers off, lol.

For the greater Fut crowd - I switched to an ohlins rear shock a while back, which leaves me with the OEM shock sitting in a box. If someone wants to "borrow it" while they have theirs rebuilt, let me know.
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdanny69 View Post
    Hello all! well i decided to keep my futura! i just got a 2018 kawasaki c-14, i had it 3 months now and put 7k miles on it and i must say i really like my futura better! the c14 is great on the highway and really long distances! but the futura is something special! i find myself wanting to ride the futura more and more! i used to think it was big! compared to the c14 its small, lighter and much more agile and just as fast! i do have my future geared down!

Now my question! should i keep my futura stock? its been stock its whole life! not many stock futuras i think? i still have my frame stickers on it! also does anyone have a picture of the stock tank sticker set up?

i also will need to do my own service on my bike, since my service shop closed! i need to do a clutch slave cyclinder replacement and oild change and clutch lever replacement! any help would be great!

always The chef
    If you are replacing the clutch slave cylinder, I recommend the Oberon unit, it improves the leverage ratio of the clutch action.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggisbash View Post
    I recommend the Oberon unit, it improves the leverage ratio of the clutch action.
    and more significantly uses two double lipped seals, making clutch fluid leaks from the slave cylinder MUCH less likely.

apriliaforum expert bikerdennis's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8971B7A3-B1B9-4826-91A2-EC393B15FF13.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	386726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C589ACE-EE5D-4764-845D-34A33C8BCE62.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	386725
    '02 Futura, Ash Grey(Original Owner)
    Custom Corbin Seat
    PCIII USB
    Famsa Tank Bag
    BagsForBikes Pannier Liners
    K&N Air Filter
    Rick's Hot Shot Rectifier
    Shorai Battery
    Metal Fuel Quick Disconnect
    Powerlet Socket
    Brown Connector Eliminated
    Trottlemeister Bar Ends
    more to follow...

apriliaforum newb
    I would say you would benefit from marking a bit lighter by replacing the stock exhaust. I pound miles on my bike and after 6 to 7hrs you'll appreciate any lightness gained when stopped and fully loaded. Of course only if that’s your thing. But the sound you’ll uncork and getting a new map (eprom) is a well received side effect. Second is to flush out the coolant and use water wetter. The bike will thank you!