Thread: Shiver misfire

apriliaforum newb

Shiver misfire

Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can shed a bit of light on this little problem on my Shiver.

The bike seems to have random hesitation/misfire across the whole rev range, but gets worse at higher revs so much that it struggles to rev past 8500 rpm. Also, the fuel consumption is shocking - only about 70 miles til the light comes on and last week i ran out of fuel 18 miles into the countdown!

I have fitted new spark plugs and tonight i changed the MAP sensors, but its still the same.

I am going to try and run the Guzzi diag program but i have the wrong size connector for the bike.

Anybody had a similar fault and cured it?

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

BTW the bike has a decat and arrow exhausts fitted bu the previous owner and a fatduc but this is currently set to the minimum.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by mick160 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can shed a bit of light on this little problem on my Shiver.

The bike seems to have random hesitation/misfire across the whole rev range, but gets worse at higher revs so much that it struggles to rev past 8500 rpm. Also, the fuel consumption is shocking - only about 70 miles til the light comes on and last week i ran out of fuel 18 miles into the countdown!

I have fitted new spark plugs and tonight i changed the MAP sensors, but its still the same.

I am going to try and run the Guzzi diag program but i have the wrong size connector for the bike.

Anybody had a similar fault and cured it?

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

BTW the bike has a decat and arrow exhausts fitted bu the previous owner and a fatduc but this is currently set to the minimum.
    You'll have to search through here a bit but I'm pretty sure I've seen posts before with similar issues to yours.
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalTireSkid View Post
    You'll have to search through here a bit but I'm pretty sure I've seen posts before with similar issues to yours.
    Thanks, i will have a bit search around.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Maybe disconnect fatduc and see what happens. Or put it back to the standard middle setting and see where you are after the engine reacclimates to the change. Maybe ignition coil is giving problems and engine is trying to compensate. Buggered up o2 sensor or lambda? Cleaned air filter lately? I know the older ones had that foam that breaks loose under the tank and cause gum things up a bit. Sorry not sure just giving some ideas based off what I have read here and experienced with my 09. Nothing has happened like this to me yet though. Good luck.

apriliaforum newb
    Yeah, might try disconnecting the O2 sensor and fatduc and see what happens. Ive only had the bike a couple of months and the issue is a bit annoying. I know the previous owner fitted a new O2 sensor when he fitted the decat and pipes and it has not done many miles since then.

Ive been away from biking for a few years and this Shiver is my reintroduction. From an old school point of view it 'feels' like an ignition misfire, but with all these newfangled sensors i am not sure lol.

PS, ive put a new air filter in also and the tank breather hoses are ok.
    Last edited by mick160; 08-05-2019 at 04:52 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Progress

I got the Guzzi Diag fired up tonight and read the codes. Only P0134 stored - Lambda probe P0134 - voltage without variation. So i removed the FatDuc and went for a short test ride. Initially i thought aha she feels a bit smoother already, but after she warmed up a little and i opened her up the same problem occurred - stuttering and hesitation and refusing to rev over about 8k.

Since i have been suffering from poor fuel consumption i thought i would check the instant fuel consumption on the trip - it was jumping all over the place from about 32mpg to 24mpg, down to the low teens and then back up!!!! So i pulled in and disconnected the O2 lambda sensor - instant transformation . She's revving freely all the way up to over 10.5k and sooo smooooth - hallelujah, shes back baby!!! (Inerestingly there was no service warning with the sensor disconnected ). Will order a new O2 sensor and get it fitted when i get back from holiday.

Happy days. Thanks for the input people.

apriliaforum expert
    The error for a disconnected O2 is silent, it will be recorded in the ECU. Interesting that your sensor caused such awful running.

I've decided that mine's now "permanently" disconnected, it runs so much better without it. Just watch out for the eventual richening up over time (the disconnected sensor is interpreted as "lean" by the adaptation routines). I reset it every other ride or so using TuneECU / GuzziDiag etc. I will be getting a remap or something to disable the lambda functions completely in the future.

The rev limit is 10k stock; is yours mapped?
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    The error for a disconnected O2 is silent, it will be recorded in the ECU. Interesting that your sensor caused such awful running.

I've decided that mine's now "permanently" disconnected, it runs so much better without it. Just watch out for the eventual richening up over time (the disconnected sensor is interpreted as "lean" by the adaptation routines). I reset it every other ride or so using TuneECU / GuzziDiag etc. I will be getting a remap or something to disable the lambda functions completely in the future.

I am not aware of the bike being remapped - i have only had it 2 months ish but i know the previous owner hadn't had it mapped. I am going to try a new O2 sensor and see how it runs.

apriliaforum newb
    Fitted the new O2 sensor today (nice easy job ��). Took her out for a spin and she's running beautifully ��. Nice and smooth and so much better mpg. Looking forward to putting a few more miles on her tomorrow. ��

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    Yes, you're right - limit is 10k (don't know where I was looking when I thought it was revving higher ������).