Thread: Another bad day for motorcycling.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar

Another bad day for motorcycling.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/178...by-hill-crash/

Very sad news, both bikers in their 60's, I hope the car driver is Ok. this is a road I know very well, not far from where I live.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum expert
    RIP and peace for the families involved.

I had the closest near death ride of my life yesterday. Riding solo, about 65 mph, approaching a long left hand sweeper (2-lane road), and a dodge durango is in my lane and i mean the ENTIRE vehice was coming stragiht at me.

I got over to the edge of the road as far as i could go without going off the road at 65 mph....actualy pulled my shoulder in and stood the bike up for a split second and squeaked by the side of the incoming car.

I turned around immediately, chased the car, laid on my little horn, throwing my arms up in the air like a madman, hoping they would pull over. Followedd them for a few miles. I stopped. Turned around and continued my ride. About 2 miles down the road, and i'm kinda in shock and mindfucked, realizing how close i was to being dead. I turned around again and came home.

I've only ridden 9000 miles on the street since 2013.....I feel like im low risk of a street crash just because of how little i ride the street. But man, odds were agaiist me yesterday.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    At least you are still here to tell the tale, do you think the driver was high on drugs or drunk?
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    At least you are still here to tell the tale, do you think the driver was high on drugs or drunk?
    Nope younger girl with 2-3 teenage girls in car, new durango....Like a big sister taking the younger sisters to the mall or something. I'll assume she was texting, playing with the radio or something besides paying attn to the road. She totally blew the corner on exit....she was speeding for sure.

Damn i wish i had my cameras with me. I'd gone viral on youtube....or not.

No license plate taken? Darn it.

Glad you're ok.

Dogs are the best people.

sorry to read about deaths...

i wear camera every day for just this reason..I have cops texting, women texting (few men) wrong lane cars heading at me , boat crashes seen going over bridges, drivers drinking beer..sw florida is a hoot
    Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    04 Aprilia RSV1000r (destroyed 8/23/19, was my first )
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

apriliaforum expert
    I don't chase people down, they are driving a vehicle that can take me out with the twist of the steering wheel or who knows what they have in their car? Be careful about doing the crazy man thing, you never know what others perceive and then you're the lunatic on a motorcycle chasing down some old lady. Far better to let it go and ride on. Let the anger flow to heightened awareness.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Terrible shame, just so sad. We had a fatality in my nearest town last week when a 50 year old learner (on a lesson) clipped a curb, hit a tree & died. There is a lot of suspicion that he may have had a heart attack just before hitting the curb, causing the accident. It's the uncle of one of my wife's staff who is understandably devastated. Time will tell the cause but it's just so sad Darren's gone... Ride safe out there !

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...named-16679680