Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Marzocchi fork seals & oil - Shiver 750

apriliaforum prov-nov

Changing Marzocchi fork seals & oil - Shiver 750

I see no articles or DIY for Marzocchi forks, and all I read is that they are crap, non adjustable and you cannot replace the cartridge because they are swaged during assembly. There is a certain set of bumps that do really mess mine up making them nearly go rigid, but I think that section of road is the perfect storm, the rest of the time they are fine. I do have a bad seal in the left leg at only 7,400 miles. I think that's a little early for a problem, but the bike is a 2014, so....
    The process is: lift the front of the bike, remove the axle nut, loosen the pinch bolts on the axle, fender and then the 4 caliper bolts. remove the axle, loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts then the fork caps can be loosened. Next loosen the lower triple clamp bolts and carefully slide out each fork leg. Since the fork caps are loose, you can spin those off by hand now. On the left leg there is a 13mm lock nut holding the cap to the rod. Get a wrench on the cap and one on the lock nut and loosen the cap. I spun the 13 mm nut down and was able to us that to hold the rod while turning the 19mm cap off. I've heard it is a good idea to measure the distance to the fork fluid at this point. since a bunch of mine leaked out I skipped this step. The outer fork leg will slide off now. I'm going to try to post some pics now.

Hi Spinman
    I described replacing the fork oil in Marzocchi forks here: https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...arzocchi-forks
    I didn't need to replace the seals. Perhaps try a Sealmate before you disassemble the forks.
    Interested in how you get on.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    HereĀ’s a picture of the disassemble fork. The problem is after installing the new seal the left one leaks. I only changed fluid in the right one I left the seal alone because it was fine. I see no scratches gouges or where marks or any reason for the new seal not to function properly. I put 500 mL in each leg, which may not be optimal that’s about what one leg had in it. the other leg had leaked out quite a bit plus I can’t find any specs so 500 mL is basically a best guess from everything I read online. That also brings it up to approximately the same level as the fork leg that did not leak. I measured that level before draining the old oil.

Oh and Frodo yes, I did see your post on changing the oil that helped a lot, it inspired me to do this post. The bike has been “Honda like” until now. 7400 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6D15756A-0733-463F-B21A-0EF3DE3494A8.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	385832  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AB03072F-4420-4242-BF31-F3D09CDD0B08.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	385833  

Last edited by Spinman; 08-04-2019 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Because Siri can’t dictate where the shit sometimes

apriliaforum prov-nov
    It's still leaking like a siv. Could be that I bought an old seal from an unknown source on ebay? I'm going to try another one from AF1 and hope that works. Any suggestions?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I found SKF makes seals for this, so I ordered some and they should be here in a couple of days. Hopefully the fork leg is ok. If not, I would need to buy another or have this one chromed to build it up. ARRG, I hope the fresh seal solves this very simple issue!

apriliaforum Member
    I did my forks 2 months ago(showa) first I bought seals from aprilia dealership in my town and they were old but I said they are original so they should work. After a ride they were still leaking, bought ariete seals and no problems, just make sure you are putting the seals that have spring on both sides because if its only a one side spring seal they dont seal good on upside down forks

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My 2016, with just under 10k miles, started leaking from the right leg.

I just ordered these, I hope this works. http://www.sealmate.net/

If it doesn't, I'm still under warranty, thankfully, as I bought it new last year.

Age shouldn't be a thing. My previous bike, an 03 Kawi Z1000, with 26,000 miles, was still fine. No leaks.

Thanks for posting, I may need this info in another 10k miles.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSmitty View Post
    My 2016, with just under 10k miles, started leaking from the right leg.

I just ordered these, I hope this works. http://www.sealmate.net/

If it doesn't, I'm still under warranty, thankfully, as I bought it new last year.

Age shouldn't be a thing. My previous bike, an 03 Kawi Z1000, with 26,000 miles, was still fine. No leaks.

Thanks for posting, I may need this info in another 10k miles.
    I am 99% sure sealmate will not work,sealmate is meant for dirtbikes that go trough mud and dust and it gets stuck in the seal,I am pretty sure that will almost never happen on a roadbike. Just my opinion.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    They demonstrate the sealmate cleaning the seal on an fj1300, a street bike. The video shows dirt being removed by the tool.

If you think dirt doesn't get on your fork stanchions on a road bike, you are incorrect.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSmitty View Post
    They demonstrate the sealmate cleaning the seal on an fj1300, a street bike. The video shows dirt being removed by the tool.

If you think dirt doesn't get on your fork stanchions on a road bike, you are incorrect.
    yea it's less likely for sure... but doesn't mean it can't happen!
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

apriliaforum prov-nov

apriliaforum expert
    by the wayyyy.

instead of buying seal mates, I just buy cheap cell phone cover screens from the dollar store. You can get a 3 pack for like $1 that makes 3-6 "seal mates" with your own razor blade. Also, the business card technique is known to work well.
    Don't be a jerk... jerk

2016 KTM 250 xc
    2013 KTM 350 xcf ---------------SOLD
    2011 Husqvarna 630 ------------SOLD
    2007 KTM Superduke 990-------SOLD
    2009 Dorsoduro 750
    2003 KLX 400R
    2009 YZ450 -----------------------SOLD
    2007 ZZR600 ----------------------SOLD
    2006 CBR600RR ------------------SOLD
    2009 Ninja 250 -------------------SOLD

I ride my "road" bikes on some shitty roads and once had a seal leak that was fixed by a Sealmate. It was cheap so little lost if it doesn't work. Easier than disassembly.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by splendidman View Post
    I did my forks 2 months ago(showa) first I bought seals from aprilia dealership in my town and they were old but I said they are original so they should work. After a ride they were still leaking, bought ariete seals and no problems, just make sure you are putting the seals that have spring on both sides because if its only a one side spring seal they dont seal good on upside down forks
    What do you mean "springs on both sides"? The original and the replacement only have one spring. Can you send a pic and a link where you got them?

Also, I've never put in a new seal and had it fail, at least not on a fork without damage to it. So I'm concerned that this could get really expensive. I guess I will find out tomorrow when they arrive.

apriliaforum Member
    ARI.118 43x54x11 DCY
    You can buy them everywhere the DCY stands for spring on both sides, they are few bucks more expensive but they seal much better for upside down forks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast