Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 07 Tuono runs rough, 'cuts out', feels like fueling issue?

apriliaforum newb

07 Tuono runs rough, 'cuts out', feels like fueling issue?

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. This is my second Aprilia 1000, last one was an 07 RSV, this one is the Tuono because I'm too old for clip-ons anymore...

I've worked on a lot of bikes, but not many that are fuel injected, so I'm looking for the best things to start with to try and figure out why this Tuono runs like crap. It was in decent shape when I got it, only shows 8k miles which I believe as the chain looks stock and isn't worn out. Its a standard Tuono but someone put on an Ohlins shock and the 4-pad Brembos. They also relocated the reg/rec to under the tailsection. The kid I bought it from only owned it about a year and all he did was ride it, he didn't know much about it, so I don't have any history on it. Ran rough and I hoped it just needed ridden but I've now put about 750 miles on it, including running injector cleaner through it, and its not getting any better. It feels like it 'cuts out', sometimes stalls (though not much), you have to be ready with the clutch in 1st because its real jerky as it cuts in/out. Higher in the revs its not as noticeable but still feels like it surges a bit more than it should. sometimes around midrange revs (let's say 4k) if you open it up quickly it will stumble and feel like it has to clear out and then goes like it should. Fuel mileage seems about right, 35-38mpg.

Anyways when I got it it had stock pipes. I installed MIVV slip-ons and it doesn't run any differently. I have no idea which map the ECU is in (is there a way to tell via the dash?). When I first got it and it was running really poorly it would show "SERVICE" on the dash, but turn it off/on and that would usually go away. The dash has always shown an icon of a key with lightning bolts around it. I think that's some sort of issue with the chip in the key but it does it with both of the keys that came with the bike (one of the keys doesn't look original). I changed the plugs and checked the valve clearance and all was ok. I think the charcoal canister has been removed (its under the back seat, right?).

It idles more or less ok. I've seen threads on syncing the throttle bodies but wouldn't think that would matter much with the midrange running - when I synch carbs on other bikes its because of a rough idle...

What would you all suggest I check out first? Or does anyone around Cincinnati want to get into a project?

Thanks in advance for the help,
    Billy
    Last edited by BillyBB; 08-03-2019 at 12:24 PM.

A common cause for poor performance/surging are the 2 very thin vacuum hoses on the left side of the TBs- they are frail and can crack/split. Another possibility could be a dirty fuel filter. Also check the voltage on the stator. Aftermarket pipes require Map 2 installed. Charcoal canister is behind the seat so yours has been removed

apriliaforum expert johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyG View Post
    Another possibility could be a dirty fuel filter.
    That was my problem recently
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyG View Post
    Aftermarket pipes require Map 2 installed.

Not necessarily . See my thread on this

Like Teddy sugests the 2 small vacuum lines on the left side of the throttlebody is a good place to start. Make sure all the vacuum lines are installed correctly on both sides.
    The icon you are refering to is temperature icon, it's supposed to look like a themomoter. To remove the SERVICE reminder you need to access the dash from the front of the left switchblock. Press once to scroll, press and hold to select. Scroll to the service/diagnostics, the number for access is 13432. From there you can delete the service reminder, access fault codes/errors...

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks guys. I'll check the vacuum lines and generally inspect all the hoses going to the airbox sensors/etc. I also searched and found a thread on the fuel filter, along with the fuel pump/line recall kit. I'll go ahead and order those parts if I don't find any issues with the vacuum lines. I wouldn't doubt fuel filter issues since all we get around here is gas with ethanol in it, and again, this bike being 12 years old with just 8k miles means it must have sat a fair amount at some point, which means stale alcohol/gas to much up the filters.

I searched a bit and couldn't find a thread detailing how the lines should be run when the charcoal canister is removed. Any help here? Want to ensure that was done correctly.

On the stator check - rather than check the AC output on the yellow wires, it should be good enough just to check the DC across the battery to ensure its around 14.5V when revving a bit, no? Or is there something unusual about the stators going bad on these bikes? The battery seems to charge fine, so I wouldn't expect a stator issue to be the culprit, or am I missing something?

On that thermometer on the dash - thanks for pointing that out. I'm guessing nothing is wrong by seeing that icon and it just means I'm in the mode to display coolant temp. It stays around 170-200 when I'm riding it so that seems fine.

Will let you know what I find.

Just remember, the tiny vacuum lines will often LOOK fine, but they are in fact compromised. They're so small and the cracks can be so small that it's almost not perceivable, but it makes the bike run like complete shit.
    Current: '07 Aprilia Tuono Factory, '07 BMW R1200GS
    Past: '14 Aprilia Tuono V4, '17 KTM RC390, '07 KTM Superduke 990, '07 Husqvarna SM610

Just remember, the tiny vacuum lines will often LOOK fine, but they are in fact compromised. They're so small and the cracks can be so small that it's almost not perceivable, but it makes the bike run like complete shit.

As far as your lines on the charcoal canister. You should have your solenoid plugged or it completely removed, and the inlet on the throttle body or airbox (wherever the canister line went INTO) plugged. Other than that, you should have an overflow and a vent line out of the tank. They may be combined into one. It should vent directly to atmosphere.
    Current: '07 Aprilia Tuono Factory, '07 BMW R1200GS
    Past: '14 Aprilia Tuono V4, '17 KTM RC390, '07 KTM Superduke 990, '07 Husqvarna SM610

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks to the pointer on the canister removal, I had just found it but it did take me a while. I'm planning to get into the bike today and start checking things out, will update what I find.

Check the MAP MAF Pressure Sensor under the seat, as well.

see this thread:
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...54#post4471854
    Dionysis

79 CX500C
    07 RSV1000R
    08 WR250R

IBA#58777

had same issue with wifes 08 tuono..tiny vacuum lines on left side of injectors were cracked and then switched to map 2..
    Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    04 Aprilia RSV1000r (destroyed 8/23/19, was my first )
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

apriliaforum newb
    OK I dug into it last night. I wanted to remove the tank to give plenty of access to everything and figured if I don't find anything else wrong I'll do the fuel filter "recall kit". Let me just say I cannot fathom why Aprilia didn't see fit to do quick disconnects on the fuel lines. Maddening! I mean really, I can have a most any other fuel tank off in 10 minutes but this one resulted in all sorts of cussing, time spent draining/siphoning and gas all over the floor/bike. Yeah sure, user error and all but still - pain in the ass! OK, rant over.

It looks like the guy did the cannisterectomy correctly - 2 tank vent lines are venting to atmosphere. Line on the injectors is plugged. I didn't find a solenoid so I'm guessing he removed that.

The 2 small vacuum lines. I'm guessing these are them:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190807_223231544.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	386085

They look fine. I removed them and they still feel soft/pliable and I could blow through them into the intake manifold. They all seem to be routed correctly as far as I can tell (let me know if anything in the pic looks out of place please).

I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank. Nothing seems amiss - can you tell from the pic if the recall parts are on it?

Name:	IMG_Ape_fuel_pump.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	386086

I didn't check the MAP sensor under the back seat yet. What am I checking for, just to ensure its plugged in?

When I removed the fuel pump there were a couple of large clear thin plastic pieces of something in the tank. I doubt they were restricting fuel flow but don't know where they came from. Strange.

OK so the only thing I can figure at this point - when I was screwing with the fuel tank and went to unplug the fuel pump/sending unit electrical connector I saw that it was already unplugged and sitting a couple inches from its connector in the harness. This is likely due to me moving the tank around while I was draining/etc it, but I thought it odd that I didn't have to push the clip on the connector down to unplug it. Hmmm... The bike shouldn't run at all without this being plugged in, and the fuel sending unit being unplugged would be obvious because the fuel level on the dash wouldn't show correctly, and the bike has been showing me a low fuel light when the tank gets low, so it must have been plugged in. But maybe it was a bit loose and sporadically losing connection. No clue.

With nothing else to go on, I'll do the fuel pump recall kit, replace the rubber fuel line and vacuum hoses just in case, and check the MAP sensor. Or does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks again!

apriliaforum newb
    Oh another thing - I'm guessing nothing is supposed to be connected to these outlets on the airbox - there's one on each side:

Name:	IMG_Ape_right_ab.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	386087

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ressure-sensor
    If I recall correct, I got an Error Code on the dashboard when my MAP sensor died.
    Dionysis

79 CX500C
    07 RSV1000R
    08 WR250R

IBA#58777

apriliaforum newb
    Does anyone know an equivalent vacuum hose to the Aprilia part AP0960112? Its $14.70 for a 110mm length of it at AF1 - I'd need 2 or more of those depending how much I want to replace. I'd rather just buy 20' of it or whatever if I can find an equivalent. Maybe I'll take it to a NAPA and see if they'll match it up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast