Thread: Trying to figure out how to set up a Mille for a rider that can't use right arm

Question Trying to figure out how to set up a Mille for a rider that can't use right arm

Hey all,

Long story short, I was contacted by someone a few days ago regarding some parts I had for sale. We got to talking and turns out the parts were going to be used to modify a first gen mille to be set up for a rider that lost the use of his right arm. Which got me thinking, what all would need to be done to make this happen? Figured I would pick the collective forum brain and then pass on whatever info that gets gathered.

Thanks in advance

Gitter

apriliaforum expert
    I'm positive it's been done before. same on other bikes as rsv.
    I think long bike histories take up too much space to copy on every post

It can be done. Look at the guy in blue at 2:00 minutes in. That's me at 4:58.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7hBZopKNA
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

dude, thats awesome, thank you for passing along that video

apriliaforum Member
    Thumb operated throttle like a quad bike and either a combined braking foot brake with a bias adjuster or just forego the rear brake and hook the foot brake to the front?
    I also remember seeing a semi-auto kit that you could add onto a standard bike in a magazine years back. IIRC it had 2/3 buttons mounted to the bar and could cut ignition, and operate a stepper motor to move the lever.
    That could free up the left foot lever for other duties and might make life easier than trying to manage the clutch and throttle with one hand.

Motogp style thumb brake or a dual lever like this

https://disabledmotorcycleriders.com/dualever/

pretty neat idea
    2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
    1999 Aprilia RS50
    1997 Honda CBR 900RR (Deutschland Bike)
    2001 Honda RC51 SP1
    2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
    2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
    2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)

I've seen a bike that had front brake lever, clutch lever, and twist grip throttle all on the left side. Seems the easiest way. Would almost necessitate clutchless shifting but still seems the best way. A quick shift system would make it almost perfect. One thing I have never seen but would think is essential would be some build up on the tank so the rider could lean his chest against while braking.

Many years ago I had frozen shoulder, right side. I persisted riding before it was diagnosed. It was hurting so bad one day that I started laying my chest on the tank as much as possible so I wouldn't have to hold myself up. What a revelation that was. Yeah, sure, it reduced my pain and allowed me to ride but the revelation was beyond all that. With the arms no longer required to support my upper body I had steering control unlike anything I had ever experienced. I was already well practiced in counter steering techniques but this was a whole new realm. Pure counter steering. This exercise alone would make anyone a believer. For a one armed rider it would make a huge difference to be able to put the chest against a soft support so the one arm would not have to absorb the braking forces from the upper body.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland