Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiver lost power

apriliaforum Member

Shiver lost power

Guys I need help I was riding and my speedo lost backlight and just lost power and shutted down, it all started to smell on burned electonics something is definetly fried when I cant turn it back on but when I press start button it just clicks.
    https://youtu.be/dkUhc76TxFA
    Last edited by splendidman; 08-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    It smells on burned electronics on the left side around termostat

apriliaforum expert
    Check the fuses, that will tell you where to look next. Or you might need to read the ECU codes.

If neither bears fruit, the only concrete thing you have right now is the fact it doesn't start, so you're looking at following the standard procedure for that.

You could also check any obvious / accessible connectors that might be implicated and look for signs of shorting etc. (I notice it's raining in your video; was it wet / raining at the time it died?)

Note: the main ECU is above the thermostat. But there are relays, power resistors and all sorts under there too. You'll have to pull the tank off to properly assess the starting problem anyway.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum Member
    Im on an island on vacation and it happens in middle of nowhere a lightning just strucked in front of me and the speedo looses power I stop and it starts raining, cant get any better then this, I just checked all the fuses and they are good, I need to find someone with a truck to bring it to my house.

apriliaforum expert
    Ah, well if you can at least get it to start again you might be winning. Will it bump?

EDIT: lightning is indicative of a very strong electric field (gradient) that might have messed with the bike's circuits, even perhaps drained the battery!
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum Member
    I tried bump starting it but it started raining and the rear cant spin, I will wait till tomorrow, currently I found many had the same problem with their RSV1000 so im reading what the problem was with their bikes.

apriliaforum Member
    You really think that lightning can fry it, because it smells really bad somewhere around cdi maybe at the fuel injector cdi that is where it smelled really burned up and probably fried the starter relay. I am really frustrated at the moment because my bike is like in the middle of the island on the side of the road and I cant do anything because it is raining like hell outside and this is how my vacation ends up hahahah.

apriliaforum expert
    Nope, I have no idea. Sucks that it's affecting your holiday!

It is weird that the key-on works, but I don't think pressing the starter button should cause the backlight to go off on the dash. That really needs to be your starting point.

At least you don't have the "ECU disconnected" error on the dash, that's a good sign the ECU might not be completely dead...

Aside from the dash, there are two "computers" on this bike: the main ECU (MM IAW5DM) on the left-hand-side of the airbox, and the ride by wire slave unit (also Magneti Marelli), actually attached to the throttle body support inside the airbox. I don't think it's either of these, the bike would be making much more fuss.

As I said, there is an awful lot more under the tank that could just as easily be at fault.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum Member
    Got the bike home. Starter motor is fried completely already found a second hand one for 50euros in my home town. Here are the pictures.
    https://ibb.co/Rp7fxKj
    https://ibb.co/dpmqZf4

apriliaforum expert
    Wow, the rotor somehow got chewed up by the magnets? Hoping it's a simple fix now.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    Wow, the rotor somehow got chewed up by the magnets? Hoping it's a simple fix now.
    Yes a piece fell out and shorted it out, good news is I can push start it

Definitely fried.
    I wonder if water got in during the rainstorm and this was the straw that broke the starter.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Definitely fried.
    I wonder if water got in during the rainstorm and this was the straw that broke the starter.
    The rain started 2minutes after the bike shut down leaving me soaked while I waited for my friend to pick me up hahahah.

apriliaforum Member
    I just got in contact with the previous owner(he is the first owner of the bike) and he said he had 2 starter motors fried and they were replaced under warranty and the last time it happened was in 2009, is there a way I can find out if the map has been updated to the one where the starter wont spin if the engine is running because this is the only reason it got fried.

apriliaforum expert
    Yes, if you go to the service menu, enter the code (12398) and select "update", it will tell you the version. If you then switch the bike off, it will complain (service light) for the next few key cycles, but it should clear eventually, possibly after many miles traveled.

I did this years ago, and it was fine. I use GuzziDiag / TuneECU / another tool to tell me what map version I have via OBD now. You can try that instead if you prefer. They can also clear error codes.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast