Thread: HGT Regulator

apriliaforum newb

HGT Regulator

Hello Guys,

Can anyone explain how this works and what's the advantage to have it. Also do you have any photos of how to install it.
    For Aprilia Sr 50 Ditech Morini 2003

apriliaforum prov-nov
    The HGT regulator was made by a former member (now banned, long story) and was a fuel pressure regulator that increased the amount of fuel delivered to the combustion chamber. This gives benefits in tuning, all the way from a stock 50cc cylinder with mods (exhaust, etc) to a 70cc kit. HGT did a dyno here which shows the improvements achievable on 50cc and a Leovince ZX pipe. Not sure if this was with a Morini or Piaggio engine...

In fact, it was originally intended as a replacement for the Polini "bowlini" regulator, which is supplied with the Polini 70cc kit in order to increase the fuel pressure for it. The advantage of a fuel pressure regulator over the "Bowlini" being the ability to easily adjust on the fly (the "Bowlini" being way more cumbersome and requiring that you detach the whole unit and add washers behind the spring, then reattach it), and being able to see the fuel and air pressure in real time (useful for diagnosing engine trouble as well) – the disadvantage being a much higher price for the HGT regulator over the "Bowlini".

The "Bowlini" also had a design flaw, being that one of the supplied parts in plastic quickly wore out. Forum members (me included) have had success replacing the part with a metal one, but this requires access to a shop or advanced mechanical equipment (I'm sure there are potential simpler solutions as well, but nobody has provided an example of it with directions where to get the parts).

There are some forum members that have found the parts included in the HGT regulator online (WAY cheaper), and made their own fuel pressure regulator kit. You can check the thread here, and you'll probably find relevant info scattered around the forum in other posts too, if you do a search.

Personally, I'd love a more straightforward guide for how to do it. I haven't invested the time in gathering and investigating all the info yet.

The main feature of the HGT regulator compared to the DYI solutions, as far as I know, was a back-off plate, which allows you to regulate the fuel below the stock pressure, which is only relevant in very high altitudes. Very few need this.

The Malossi 70cc kit comes with a (way more expensive) solution to increase the fuel pressure – an electronic solution which modifies the electronic signal from the ECU, causing the fuel injection port to open longer. This is different from increasing the pressure on the stock ECU signal with a fuel pressure regulator or Bowlini, but gives the same result.

In fact, there have been members that have combined the two, adding a Bowlini (with weaker spring) or fuel pressure regulator on top of a Malossi ECU (Morini engine)/TC-unit(Piaggio engine), allowing one to achieve more fuel than each of the solutions can by themselves, combining the increased fuel injection time from the ECU with a higher pressure.

The HGT regulator is no longer being sold, and haven't been for some years now. HGT mentioned that he was working on a new, small ver.4 before his business closed down after he went through some sort of personal troubles, but continued taking payments from customers that never received their stuff(!). From what I understand, he also had some disagreements before that with AF1 on how he promoted his own business on this forum. He was also known for being an uptight assh**e at times, and banned lots forum members for simply disagreeing with him and not taking any shit from him over it.
    Last edited by Vor; 08-02-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    2006 Aprilia SR50 Factory (Piaggio Purejet C361M)
    ECU v. 2.8.0 derestricted

Quote Originally Posted by Ivo7337 View Post
    Hello Guys,

Can anyone explain how this works and what's the advantage to have it. Also do you have any photos of how to install it.
    For Aprilia Sr 50 Ditech Morini 2003
    Where the heck did you manage to find one!? Can you link to it please? That's the one part I don't have but really really want!!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you very much for the info! I didn’t find any i just saw it as a photo in google...
    Aprilia Sr 50 Ditech Morini 2003
    Denso Iridium IU24
    Malossi Multivar 8.0gr
    Malossi Fly Clutch
    White clutch springs
    Malossi yellow contra spring
    Belt Athena
    Stock exhaust
    Oil Bardahl-KGR injection 2T
    Top speed 90km/h