Thread: 1st Gen Valkyrie?

apriliaforum expert J.R. Bob Dobbs's Avatar

1st Gen Valkyrie?

So a fellow at work just bought one, looks and sounds great and he can’t stop talking about it. There’s a nice one with low miles at a local dealer, I’m considering having a look/ride this weekend. I admit the only attraction is the “excessive”motor. Is it worth my time, or is it just a pretty pig?

My current bike is an 05 Tuono Factory for calibration.
    Jap bikes suck.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    what's that say? oh it's your signature.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

It's a big heavy smooth as silk cruiser that makes a nice everyday bike as well as tourer. The engine is pretty tough and makes nice usable power. You may like it.
    oh well nevermind

apriliaforum expert
    The engine is addictive because it makes you wonder why everyone else is always fiddling with theirs just to make them run right. There is something about the peace of mind that goes along with riding and not wondering what might go wrong today.

With 6 carbs just make sure before it leaves the dealer that they have made 100% certain everything is perfect as can be. Then ride it for 300k miles. Get onto a road with nice big sweepers, a destination a few hundred miles away and relax. When you get there you won't be the one slowly unfolding from behind some tiny fairing or looking like a rice picker with your knees around your ears and your ass 1" off the ground.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I ride a 2013 F6B and am on a forum dedicated to them. Many of the guys still have their old Valk's, and can't shut up about 'em. If you can live with the "Harley" esthetic, you will love the bike. I love my Tuono but having a bike that is virtually hassle free for everyday riding is nice.... Can't beat a flat 6 car engine for that.

I saw a guy with straight pipes on one. Goddam thing sounded like somebody pissed off a nest of yellowjackets. I thought it was cool.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

We built this one for a guy a few years ago. Magnusen blower and an $8K paint job. Harley dresser bags and batwing fairing. He spent around $15K on it. It's been to Daytona,Sturgis and all over the country.Makes 140HP/140lb-ft. Had to have a custom ignition made with 10 advance curves selected by manifold pressure. 9.7:1 CR and 7 pounds of boost made things a little touch and go while tuning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1608.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	385254
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    oh well nevermind

Damn, that thing is cool. Bet It hustles down the road in a nice fashion.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

We installed a belly tank in the space between the rear wheel and engine 'cause they get like 25 MPG on a good day. It had a fuel pump. And while I was sorting it I used it and didn't mount the stock tank. I was out riding it and some guy on a Gixxer pulled up next to me at a light. Said "hey man where's your gas tank?" I said " doesn't need one it nuclear powered." He launched from the light and I powered by on the back wheel and he just shook his head. it's a beast but reliable and gets ridden. I'm kinda proud of that build.
    oh well nevermind

apriliaforum expert
    No doubt he rode to the nearest shop looked at a Hayabusa and asked:

"How much for the nuclear option?"
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.