Thread: Backfires, misfires and TuneECU results

apriliaforum newb

Backfires, misfires and TuneECU results

I've been struggling to get this bike running right since I got it. I've:
    - cleaned out the air filter box
    - cleaned the sensor in the airbox
    - changed the air filter to a new one
    - changed all spark plugs to iridiums (old ones were a bit white on the tip)
    - changed the brown/cracked vacuum lines I saw 1 by 1 (a bunch had plugs at the end)
    - changed the oil
    - removed the airbox snorkel (saw it on this forum as a to-do)

I'm waiting on o-ring and washers as I have oil seeping from the oil filter cover and the oil tank drain plug. Upper oil tank mount broke so I'm also waiting for a replacement. I re-connected the tank on top but haven't bolt it back on yet (if there's something else I should check while in there...)

Bike is a 2003 with ~37, 000 km (~23K miles).
    TuneECU can't find my VIN and the current map is 50114 (which I didn't see listed as regular maps. From what I understood, the 50113 is the most common stock one).
    ECU type is listed as 7E01-03

Here are the TuneECU results:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	385167
    Engine cold

Name:	IMG_2744.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	385168
    Engine warm

Engine warm video (may be loud)

Problems:
    On cold, the engine seems to misfires and I occasionally hear a "thunk" noise from the engine. It sometimes cuts off after a loud "clank" but restarts no problem after. On warm, it backfires quite a bit as seen on the video.
    PO overfilled the engine (but it ran ok) and had some oil seeping from the airbox hose and oil tank drain plug. I changed the oil to Motul 15w-50 semi-synthetic and the misfires seemed to begin. The video is after changing everything listed here.

The voltage seems similar on all 4 coils which would lead me to believe they're fine, right? Is there something else I should check on TuneECU? I ran all the tests seperately and no error showed up.
    I thought I might be running lean and I could try to change the map but I'd like to double check in the instance there is something else wrong. The misfires and clunking doesn't seem like something a lean condition would make.

What else should I check? Or should I change to different map? Bike is stock and has the cannister.

I've had a map load incorrectly and cause some severe running issues. If you're adept at loading maps, try refreshing.

You're running Tuneecu with a wrong map. Load a Caponord map on PC before, it is not necessary to download in the ECU. The Tuneecu beackgroung will change with Aprilia logo and will change the decoding of data too. Then reconnect the ECU and read VIN data again.

apriliaforum newb
    Wait, you load the map on TuneECU and then connect to the bike?

I thought you could only load maps onto the bike, not onto the software. I'll give that a shot! Thanks!

apriliaforum newb
    Okay, apology if I'll sound like an idiot but I tried with the 2011 050428 map (oxygen sensor and canister) and the logo remained as Triumph.

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	385185

Cold engine:

Name:	IMG_2746.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	385186

warm engine:

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	385187

I re-read the user guide for TuneECU. It seems that in order to upload or even save the current map I have (50114), I should click download under ECU but the option is always grayed out. Actually, most options are typically grayed out with the engine running or off. The headlight fuse only seems to be to preserve battery, right?

What am I doing wrong here? Are any of those readings wrong? The bike didn't "thunk" this time but died out shortly after the warm engine pic. It had some backfiring but not too much misfiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	385182  

Name:	IMG_2746.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	385183  

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	385184  

Last edited by Funky_Mad; 07-25-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Cropped pics for better visibility

Sounds like you have an air leak. Spray Wd40 or easy start on the air line joints while the engine is running. If this changes the engine revs/sound then you will have located your leak. TunECU with a map loaded into your laptop try reading the map from your bike to the computer.
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord
    NC705X DCT - The Blue Toad
    Honda PCX125 - White Lightning

apriliaforum expert
    He can’t read the map the ecu comes up with a cant read map message(map not recognised) he can’t read or download and I think previous owner may of corrupted the ecu in loading an incorrect manufacturer map like a triumph map renamed as a file 50114

i agree the chuffing is vac leak related and the fuel vapour recovery wants removing leaving the servo valve plugged in to avoid fault codes.

Sort the chuffing and tb’s back fire before anything else and the fact you state the old plugs were white signals lean burn which is air leak related and also an indication of vac air leak in the system.

The read download issue I think is a locked ECU and I don’t know if @moto_abruzzo can help with that but it’s looking like an ecu swap might be needed.
    Me n' Mine:-

2006 Caponord ETV 1000 "Twiki"
    2004 Tuono Racing Rep, Full Carbon with SBK 2-2 Akro's
    2002 ZX636 A1P Ninja list of mods is endless
    "Made in Italy....Perfected in my Garage"
    I've never questioned why I ride, it's as basic as breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
    He canít read the map the ecu comes up with a cant read map message(map not recognised) he canít read or download and I think previous owner may of corrupted the ecu in loading an incorrect manufacturer map like a triumph map renamed as a file 50114

i agree the chuffing is vac leak related and the fuel vapour recovery wants removing leaving the servo valve plugged in to avoid fault codes.

Sort the chuffing and tbís back fire before anything else and the fact you state the old plugs were white signals lean burn which is air leak related and also an indication of vac air leak in the system.

The read download issue I think is a locked ECU and I donít know if @moto_abruzzo can help with that but itís looking like an ecu swap might be needed.

I saw the Qs on the TuneECU thread. Your quess of Truimph file renamed might be right. Load correct map, connect to ECU, Then ECU - Recovery option to download correct map.

Good luck,

Catfish ...

apriliaforum newb
    Hi everyone, I will relive this post because my motorcycle has similar symptoms, although the reason is different, in my case Backfires, misfires plus an unstable idling started when I have removed the DB killer for one day trip and now i put it back but still the same problem .

For info: ETV 1000 from 2002 with 45.000 km + GPR furore + Iridium spark plug + Filter K&N + swordfish Map

Here two videos with TuneEcu mobile with engine sound and Tune ecu PC with out sound;

Any input will be really welcome!

thank you