Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure whether to go for a S1000RR or a RSV 1100 Factory

apriliaforum newb
    I'm a BMW fanboy lol .... I have an M235i and an R1200RS. My track bike tho is a 2017 RSV4RR.

I rode the new 2020 S1000RR at California Superbike School a couple of weeks ago. I didn't love it. I thought the Beemer was to vibey, the quickshifter was vague and the RSV4 is easier to comfortably lock onto while hanging off. All that said it was fun ... but I prefer my Aprilia.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeracer1098 View Post
    Rode a RSV1100 Factory today and loved it. Feels quicker than my previous RF.

Going to test ride a new S1000RR on Friday, can’t wait.

Then test riding a 2019 Kawasaki H2 next Monday.
    Granted, I dont have the 2020 s1000rr, but 3 different beasts. All are great!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Member
    You can't compare the new BMW with the old one, we're riding both models at Racing School Europe. The old one I call a fast touring bike with the standard suspension, the new one is a racebike (we ride the M package) fast and agile. I can't compare with a RSV1100 but the new BMW is even faster than the old BMW!
    I really like the new BMW but when I'm on my 2011 Factory I think the Aprilia it's still the best steering but under powered bike. To be fare my own bike is set-up with Ohlins race suspension (TTX in the back and modified Ohlins in the front)

For sure the 1100 is the fastest bike at the moment.
    5 comparisons in italy, only one winner.

apriliaforum Member
    I have ridden both on track in stock form. RSV4 motor is exceptional, with the same great chassis. US version S1000RR is a joke with its 50% throttle restrictions in certain gears and RPM ranges. It does however feel incredibly light and nimble and easy to ride. I dropped a deposit on a new S1000RR, knowing that an after market ECU flash will unleash the power it has and turn it into an awesome machine. Still not ready to give up my RSV4, maybe I should get a new 1100 to really get a good comparison

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    I have ridden both on track in stock form. RSV4 motor is exceptional, with the same great chassis. US version S1000RR is a joke with its 50% throttle restrictions in certain gears and RPM ranges. It does however feel incredibly light and nimble and easy to ride. I dropped a deposit on a new S1000RR, knowing that an after market ECU flash will unleash the power it has and turn it into an awesome machine. Still not ready to give up my RSV4, maybe I should get a new 1100 to really get a good comparison
    On the straight I was playing with a Duc V4s and had no problem keeping up with it, even when he had full race exhaust and slicks while I was on a standard bike with mirrors and Metzeler K3's.
    Despite this I would go for the RSV4 because the BMW is kind of boring

The RSV4 is nice and fun, but it's old. Good platform, but old nevertheless. My '17 is cramped (6'1" tall) and often gives me sore knees after 90 or so miles. Around town it's quite fine, but I do a lot of track days and boy does the V4 tire me out. Steering is heavy, and cramp riding position usually cause me to tap long before my last session on must days. Everyone has been raving about how comfortable the BMW is for taller riders and how much easier it's to ride fast. This alone makes me wanna switch, but as mentioned before the US version require an ECU flash if want the rest of your motor. Then there is the exhaust situ on the BMW. Boy that contraption is ugly and would require an expensive full system to remedy. I'm a fire believer that full systems should only be applied to race/track bikes, but BMW forces your hand with the garbage disposal they've attached to the underside of the bike. Oh and unlike Aprilia w/ guzzidiag these boys out here are trying to crush you for 500-700 for a basic ECU flash. Yikes! Then there's the German bean counters who decided to conserve paint and tack on a bunch of unpainted black plastic bodywork, that's going to look like ass in just a few years if you don't replace them with carbon bits.

My humble advice... If your fine with spending nearly 3k extra on flashes and a full system get the BMW. If you want heavier, but solid machine out the box without all the fuss get Aprilia.

apriliaforum newb
    I find it odd when folks say the rsv4 is cramped. I'm 6 ft even, but the two bikes with the most leg room I've ever had are the rsv4 and the panigale twins. My hp4 and my h2 tuck my knees way more

rsv4 still has the best chassis today. before I had a 1299s and this rsv4 is clearly more manageable, the most maneuverable bike I've ever driven. the electronics, unlike the bmw, is calibrated to perfection and is not invasive. the engine is more powerful than the bmw with 200 horsepower at the wheel. The aluminum frame allows to change the position and inclination of the steering head, the height of the engine and that of the swingarm pivot, the only one on the market. The new and faster gearbox allows to decrease gear even with partially open gas, the only sports bike with this function. all these features make it the fastest on the track. don't look at the aesthetics, the rsv4 1100 is totally new, even in the swingarm, redesigned to reduce the yaw effect.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawininja View Post
    Granted, I dont have the 2020 s1000rr, but 3 different beasts. All are great!

Great collection of bikes, which do you prefer of the 3 and how does the H2 compare to the others? Thanks

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    Great collection of bikes, which do you prefer of the 3 and how does the H2 compare to the others? Thanks
    Tough question as they are all quite different and I like them all.

If i had to pick the best all around bike it would be the hp4....just does everything so well. The hp4 is gorgeous in person compared to standard s1000rr. I'm sure the new BMW is a better bike but the hp4 is more collectable and prettier in my eyes.

I like riding the rsv4 the best...just has more character. It is geared so high it's crazy though. The ape has by far the smoothest quickshifter and autoblipper and throttle response. It's a really tall bike compared to the other two.

The H2 is a beast. It's not the bike to be throwing side to side, but it handles open road and sweepers wonderfully. Its build quality is phenomenal and I can just sit there and stare at it. The acceleration is unreal. The ninja is geared super low , so it's weird after getting off the ape. Both the ape and the h2 guzzle the gas. If you get the h2 you have to ditch that horrible can and flash the ecu to wake up the beast.

apriliaforum newb
    Buy this months Practical Sportsbikes mag, [I know....] but it incorporates the old Performance Bikes mag, Micheal Rutter tests the RSV4 1100 and raves about how easy it is to ride, he says the BM variable cam system in nowhere near as smooth as the V4 is, and is a very easy bike to go fast on, read the article, very good report for the Aprilia.

apriliaforum Member
    If this has anything to do with you smudge 46, god help you.............

apriliaforum expert
    Just buy the BMW so us V4 guys can be the minority even more so

apriliaforum Member
    I think the comments about the RSV4 being near perfect right out of the box is spot on. The US BMW out of the box is crap. And despite the RSV4 looking old, it is quality. The BMW is more 'plastic -y' than Japanese bikes, vibrates through the bars, does not have that awesome sound. But if you are looking to go fast on a race track, and are willing to fix the BMW issues and live without the sound and character, the BMW seems like it will be the better bike. I cant wait to get my BMW track ready to give it a shot. Definitely not planning on selling the RSV4 yet.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast