Thread: aprilia futura 1000 (2002)

apriliaforum newb

aprilia futura 1000 (2002)

Hi I am new to the forum

I very recently bought a futura 1000 (2002) and the bike has a neutral gear indicator light

there is no gear position indicator. Is this a fault or is it the way it comes from the manufacturer.

can I buy an after market one and have it fitted.

cheers for any info donaldr

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Welcome to the group! Post some pictures of your bike, we love pictures!

You are correct, there is not a gear indicator. You would have to install this with aftermarket parts.

Personally I find no use for a gear indicator. Shifting takes fractions of a second to complete. With enough seat time, you will know when to shift.
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks for reply about gear position indicator

All the bikes I have owned have had gear position indicators so I suppose it just what you are used to

I certainly am not Italian and whether I deserve a Futura is your and best kept to yourself.

Cheers Donaldr.

Quote Originally Posted by donaldr View Post
    Thanks for reply about gear position indicator

I certainly am not Italian and whether I deserve a Futura is your and best kept to yourself.
    I don't think that was directed at you... that's just a quote from his signature that kind of pokes fun at the different philosophy that is Italian engineering.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

One little trick to sorta keep track if yer not sure what gear yer in, with the stock sprockets, 3rd gear gives a 1k rpm on the tach per 10mph. So at 30 mph, the tach will read 3k and at 40mph it'll read 4k, etc.

Off course if you have KPH on the speedo - well, never mind.

wonder how many bikes these days have gear indicators? My MT07 Yamaha does, though I rarely look at it. Personally, I'd rather see them come with an on-board voltmeter - or at least a dash light.

Welcome Donaldr,
    When I ride I look at the road , not what gear is on.
    Fut engine is "alive/rough" enough to feel when you have to change gear, then with a 15 teeth sproket & on 4 gear from 2k to 9k you have enough to play on Scottish twisty roads !
    Take care, it take time to check gear indicator and the next turn come very fast when you look again at the road .
    Yes you can fit a gear indicator , some french fut owners done that ((GIproX) in the past but don't look at it after....

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    One little trick to sorta keep track if yer not sure what gear yer in, with the stock sprockets, 3rd gear gives a 1k rpm on the tach per 10mph. So at 30 mph, the tach will read 3k and at 40mph it'll read 4k, etc.

Off course if you have KPH on the speedo - well, never mind.

wonder how many bikes these days have gear indicators? My MT07 Yamaha does, though I rarely look at it. Personally, I'd rather see them come with an on-board voltmeter - or at least a dash light.
    This is one of the happy quirks of the Futura, the 1:1 revolutions / mph relationship in third. Dealing with scope traces and digital indications every day, I just love observing mechanical needles when riding. Granted, I know they're actually digitally driven steppers, but the dance of those two needles in the perimeter of my vision is a beautiful thing.

Has anyone installed the HealTech on their ride? For years I've been playing with this idea, in fact, every time I have the instrument cluster lifted out. Looks like it will nestle behind the "glass" perfectly in that corner. How about color preference?

Bob

both of my old airhead R bikes and my 96 K11RS could use that 3rd gear trick to know speed. Iirc, the R90 and R100 had redlines of about 6500 and the K was only 8500 RPM, so obviously, top speeds were much slower.

Those bikes had 5 speed gearboxes. When I got the Fut, I found myself lost a bit with that 6th gear. Took a bit of time to get acquainted with that extra gear, but eventually I decided the bike was happier staying in 5th gear until 70mph. Once I was riding it like it was a 5 speed w/overdrive, I was back in sync.

Oddly enough, my FZ7 runs that relative 1:1 speed:tach in 4th gear. Even with a gear indicator (the cluster is way low on that bike and takes an effort to see - form over function) I lose track sometimes and think I'm in 3rd when I'm in 4th. Not a problem until I autopilot click down while coming to a stop and find out the hard way it's in 2nd instead of neutral after letting out the clutch and looking like a total noob