Thread: Aprilia Sportcity 250 front suspension problems

apriliaforum newb

Aprilia Sportcity 250 front suspension problems

So this is my first post on here.

A few days ago, I purchased a 2010 Aprilia Sportcity 250 with 37000 km on the clock and a full service history from Aprilia. It was a downgrade from my bmw f650, as I felt that I needed something more practical for the city and with not as much power.

Overall the scooter runs and handles great. However, the front suspension seems incredibly soft. It bottoms out on about 80% of the road imperfections. I do live in Bulgaria, so our road quality is not so good, but I still find this ridiculous, I have never had a similar experience on anything I have ridden. I am 86 kg (190 pounds), so my weight shouldn't be the issue.

I am guessing that the front suspension is quite low on oil. Does anyone on here have any Idea how this can be checked and maintained? Also if anyone has any other ideas as to what the problem might be, I would be grateful to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

apriliaforum expert
    I am 260 lbs and have never bottomed out my Sportcity with about 50,000 km on it. The Sportcity has over 118 kg (460 lbs) of carrying capacity so low oil in the front forks is a possibility or that a previous owner thought the suspension was too stiff and tried to soften it up. Some riders who weigh less than 150 lbs feel the forks are too stiff and either put thinner fork oil in or sometimes drill out the orifices to make them softer while others will install Gold Valves in them to make them adjustable. I am the original owner and no modifications have been made to my Sportcity aside from changing to Dr Pulley Sliders. What convinced me to purchase the Sportcity was that the finance manager for one of the largest motorcycle dealerships in the US had one as his daily ride and he weighed over 350 lbs (159 kg) and he had any bike from Aprilia, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Piaggio, KTM, etc, etc to choose from and he rode the Interstate every day with it.

Forks are either MingXing or Kafia and need to be removed from the Single Tree in order to check the oil level.

I highly recommend purchasing the Service Station Manual from our Forums Host, AF1 Racing to get accurate instructions on how to service the bike. Its less than $9 and will be a clean virus free original digital copy from Aprilia and not a pirated one. See: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...+City+Cube+300

The 2008-2010 Sportcity parts listing: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dCategory=1959

The main Sport City Products Page: https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...dCategory=1111

Note that you may get a better response in the Aprilia and Piaggio 150cc-350cc section of this forum.

Welcome to another Sportcity rider!
    Last edited by Rockynv; 07-25-2019 at 08:03 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    UPDATE:

So I talked with the previous owner about the problem and he sent me the receipt that he changed the fork oil about a month ago. When I called the shop, they confirmed and also told me that they added some extra oil, as the previous owner is 300 pounds (135kg), so what I am experiencing is bottoming out on compression.
    Now all I have to figure out is how to take out a bit of oil, without changing all of it.

apriliaforum expert
    As far as I know it would involve removing the forks from the single tree, removing the cap, spacer along with the spring and using a syringe to remove some of the oil. If the oil they put in is higher viscosity than the factory fill then you may need to change it back to the original spec.

The Service Station Manual shows that the forks each take 135cc of fork oil which should be 99mm 1.5 mm from the rim / without spring / fork included. The OEM Spec Fork Oil is AGIP FORK 7.5W.

That a bike shop overfilled the forks so that they could hydro-lock does not speak very well of them. Are you getting any leakage from the pressure extremes that occur when this happens?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Dear OP... looks like youre not getting the help you needed. Of course the poster "helping" has 50,000 miles of what... he cant even keep from crashing a scooter and says he clips 100mph... uh huh.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    If they overfilled, then what you would feel isn't bottoming but rather "locking".
    In other words, more oil leads to stiffer (not softer) suspension.