Thread: Looking for some parts..

apriliaforum newb

Looking for some parts..

I seem to have an oil leak on my bike (among other problems) and I'm tired of waiting 3 weeks for my local dealer to get any parts. PO overfilled the engine with oil so I'm dealing with this. I've changed the oil and cleaned a bunch of stuff. I've tracked my oil leak to what appears to be the o-ring for the oil filter cover and the oil reservoir.

Looking up old threads on here, I saw the oil reservoir screw is a M8X16mm - is there a better washer I should replace it with other than stock? Or a different material? Bonded seal washer? I saw something on the threads about the "KTM mod/screw" and people recommending washers from other brands but no specifics on models to source from or parts number. Can anybody provide more details? or can I just try an M8 washer off the shelf or any recommendations?

For the oil filter cover O-ring, I read something about a viton O-ring to replace the OEM one as it seems to be a common leak issue. Does anybody have any to recommend or knows the size for it?

Ever since I got this bike it has spent more time waiting for parts than running so I'm trying to change that!

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks, I ordered it from the dealer but people mentioned on here that there is another alternative with a different material (viton?) or a slightly thicker one but no links or dimensions.
    Any chance you know the size of that O-ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Mad View Post
    Thanks, I ordered it from the dealer but people mentioned on here that there is another alternative with a different material (viton?) or a slightly thicker one but no links or dimensions.
    Any chance you know the size of that O-ring?
    I use a 60x3 buna-n oring that I get from my local bearing shop. It is 1mm thicker cross section than the stock o-ring. Works for me.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

apriliaforum expert calgaryjeff's Avatar
    For the oil filter cover, I got a 5 pack of 60 mm x 2.5 mm. As far as the oil reservoir bolt, I replace the copper sealing washer every oil change. No drip, no drabs.

All available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/M2-5x60-Viton...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

https://www.amazon.com/Kinugawa-COPP...ateway&sr=8-41

2003 CapoNord
    1985 Honda VF1000R (gone to a new home)
    IBA #23204