Thread: Any idea why this is so clogged?

apriliaforum newb

Any idea why this is so clogged?

See pic attached, I tried sticking something in it and it is completely plugged up, before I push any harder or drill trough and screw something up, is it supposed to be like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	735C783A-E583-4C95-9ECC-5D74BBC321CE.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	384929  

That white looking stuff is aluminium oxide (corrosion), so that is likely your vent from the tank cap area to get rid of water to stop it accumulating in the fuel cap area.
    Spray some WD40 on it then poke a thin bit of wire up thru it to loosen it up then blow it out gently from the top with an air gun.
    The other one is you tank vent for internal pressure; that's why it is not corroded, shouldn't be any moisture coming out of that one.
    Last edited by plocky; 07-24-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

I have drilled them numerous times on different tanks.
    Ron
    MSgt USMC (Retired!)
    N2 CR
    WERA # 45
    IBA #38812

RST Futura
    Colin Edwards RSV R Mille #066 (Sold now. Sigh...)
    2007.5 Tuono

For custom paint work, check out https://www.facebook.com/Trading-Paint-162751633826626/

I used some silicone grease on a Q-tip to coat the inside of those aluminum nipples.

Drilling, yep, that'll work - just don't go past the depth of the nipple. Thankfully, to my recollection, no one has reported those plastic tubes inside the tank cracking/leaking - knock wood, lol.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    I used some silicone grease on a Q-tip to coat the inside of those aluminum nipples.

Drilling, yep, that'll work - just don't go past the depth of the nipple. Thankfully, to my recollection, no one has reported those plastic tubes inside the tank cracking/leaking - knock wood, lol.
    Good call, I will do that. Do I need to worry about gas leaking out? I imagine not as the other one didn't leak anything out. Also, would this cause any issues with how the bike runs? It mostly runs well, but off idle Crack of the throttle can be real sluggish. I've looked at the FPR mod and was going to do that, then replace the silicone hoses to the air box if that doesnt work. Just got the bike a few months ago, so this thing is still mostly all new to me

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon684 View Post
    Good call, I will do that. Do I need to worry about gas leaking out? I imagine not as the other one didn't leak anything out. Also, would this cause any issues with how the bike runs? It mostly runs well, but off idle Crack of the throttle can be real sluggish. I've looked at the FPR mod and was going to do that, then replace the silicone hoses to the air box if that doesnt work. Just got the bike a few months ago, so this thing is still mostly all new to me
    As mentioned before, the nipple that's corroded is to allow water that collects around the gas cap to escape so it doesn't get into the fuel. The other nipple is the fuel tank vent to prevent pressure building up.

Both go to ground in a 49 state bike. The vent pipe goes to a carbon canister system in California - unless it's been undone.

Both of those nipples attach to plastic tubes inside the tank that are coated with the same nylon material the tank is made from - think you can see those from above. Putting a drill bit into either would be bad.

As for the running issue, I'd replace all that old clear tubing and the 2 black hoses from the IAC stepper motor before going near that fuel pressure mod - not all of these bikes will run better with that mod, some will run worse. It's not a magic fix all bullet.

Both of those nipples attach to plastic tubes inside the tank that are coated with the same nylon material the tank is made from - think you can see those from above. Putting a drill bit into either would be bad.
    If you'd like to see what that looks like... Inside of a Gen 2 Tuono, but essentially the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuono Tank Inside.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	385090

like something from a sci-fi alien movie.

like something from a sci-fi alien movie.
    or a colonoscopy.

An efficient prep job to be proud of.