Thread: Help - Not starting / nothing when you turn the key

apriliaforum prov-nov

Help - Not starting / nothing when you turn the key

Folks, I've managed a while with trouble free commuting, but Peggy is up to her old tricks again today. She worked fine on Friday and i took her out of the garage to go to work this morning, initially things seemed fine. Key in, fuel pump kicks in, dial sweep / diagnostics run.. I press the start button and nothing - other than a kind of click or something trying to work or tripping out near the battery. I turn the key off and back to on, Same again. Then the third time i get an APME 0022 message and nothing else.

Now nothing happens at all when i turn the key, no fuel pump, lights on dash - nothing, just a grey screen. I've checked the battery which is showing as 12.6v, and i've searched this forum for APME 0022, but that seems to be a red herring as far as i can tell. Fuses out and checked - all look fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome (I plan to replace the fuses to eliminate this). Are there any relays that could be to fault ?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Boy View Post
    Folks, I've managed a while with trouble free commuting, but Peggy is up to her old tricks again today. She worked fine on Friday and i took her out of the garage to go to work this morning, initially things seemed fine. Key in, fuel pump kicks in, dial sweep / diagnostics run.. I press the start button and nothing - other than a kind of click or something trying to work or tripping out near the battery. I turn the key off and back to on, Same again. Then the third time i get an APME 0022 message and nothing else.

Now nothing happens at all when i turn the key, no fuel pump, lights on dash - nothing, just a grey screen. I've checked the battery which is showing as 12.6v, and i've searched this forum for APME 0022, but that seems to be a red herring as far as i can tell. Fuses out and checked - all look fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome (I plan to replace the fuses to eliminate this). Are there any relays that could be to fault ?

Many thanks
    What does the battery read when you press the starter?

It may be buggered and not able to turn the battery.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi, i just went out to take a look during my lunch break.

The battery is 12.63 at rest, but as soon as i turn the key it drops to 6v! before it press the start button - as soon as i hit the starter the whole thing just shuts down, so the battery must be at fault. It's only been on the bike about a year, and i cant believe that just the ignition makes it drop to 6v. i will hook it up to a spare car battery i have to see if it turns over.

You've found the problem, the battery is done. if it drops below 9v then it is knackered.

I've never had a problem with cheap £30 batteries, my last one did about 4 years and was replaced before the original Yusa had problems indicating the Yusa is a more robust battery.

However, it stands to reason that the cheapy one are not going to be as good/robust.
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

Hi, i just went out to take a look during my lunch break.

The battery is 12.63 at rest, but as soon as i turn the key it drops to 6v! before it press the start button - as soon as i hit the starter the whole thing just shuts down, so the battery must be at fault. It's only been on the bike about a year, and i cant believe that just the ignition makes it drop to 6v. i will hook it up to a spare car battery i have to see if it turns over.
    Don't use a car battery.
    Things might go pop.
    Just buy a new one. About £40 for the German Brandi use

apriliaforum prov-nov
    New Battery has just arrived and been fitted (Yusa Battery from Tayna - £43 with express delivery) fitted and all seems fine. I thought i was in for the dreaded Dash problems for sure. I've never had a battery read 12.6 before (at rest) and drop so low that it wouldn't even light the dash upon the turn of a key - especially as i use the bike to commute so it had only stood over the weekend.

Thanks Chaps - helped me out as always :-)

New Battery has just arrived and been fitted (Yusa Battery from Tayna - £43 with express delivery) fitted and all seems fine. I thought i was in for the dreaded Dash problems for sure. I've never had a battery read 12.6 before (at rest) and drop so low that it wouldn't even light the dash upon the turn of a key - especially as i use the bike to commute so it had only stood over the weekend.

Thanks Chaps - helped me out as always :-)
    Quick tip if it happens on the road, disconnect head light bulbs. It should give enough surge then

Thats a useful one..

I'll also disconnect the DVD player and sandwich toaster cause I like my bit of luxury!
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dobbi View Post
    Thats a useful one..

I'll also disconnect the DVD player and sandwich toaster cause I like my bit of luxury!
    I do have the handy override switch on the bastard :-)