Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help - Not starting / nothing when you turn the key

  1. #1
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    64

    Help - Not starting / nothing when you turn the key

    Folks, I've managed a while with trouble free commuting, but Peggy is up to her old tricks again today. She worked fine on Friday and i took her out of the garage to go to work this morning, initially things seemed fine. Key in, fuel pump kicks in, dial sweep / diagnostics run.. I press the start button and nothing - other than a kind of click or something trying to work or tripping out near the battery. I turn the key off and back to on, Same again. Then the third time i get an APME 0022 message and nothing else.

    Now nothing happens at all when i turn the key, no fuel pump, lights on dash - nothing, just a grey screen. I've checked the battery which is showing as 12.6v, and i've searched this forum for APME 0022, but that seems to be a red herring as far as i can tell. Fuses out and checked - all look fine.

    Any suggestions would be welcome (I plan to replace the fuses to eliminate this). Are there any relays that could be to fault ?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    apriliaforum expert ytc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Boy View Post
    Folks, I've managed a while with trouble free commuting, but Peggy is up to her old tricks again today. She worked fine on Friday and i took her out of the garage to go to work this morning, initially things seemed fine. Key in, fuel pump kicks in, dial sweep / diagnostics run.. I press the start button and nothing - other than a kind of click or something trying to work or tripping out near the battery. I turn the key off and back to on, Same again. Then the third time i get an APME 0022 message and nothing else.

    Now nothing happens at all when i turn the key, no fuel pump, lights on dash - nothing, just a grey screen. I've checked the battery which is showing as 12.6v, and i've searched this forum for APME 0022, but that seems to be a red herring as far as i can tell. Fuses out and checked - all look fine.

    Any suggestions would be welcome (I plan to replace the fuses to eliminate this). Are there any relays that could be to fault ?

    Many thanks
    What does the battery read when you press the starter?

    It may be buggered and not able to turn the battery.

    Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

  3. #3
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    64
    Hi, i just went out to take a look during my lunch break.

    The battery is 12.63 at rest, but as soon as i turn the key it drops to 6v! before it press the start button - as soon as i hit the starter the whole thing just shuts down, so the battery must be at fault. It's only been on the bike about a year, and i cant believe that just the ignition makes it drop to 6v. i will hook it up to a spare car battery i have to see if it turns over.

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert dobbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    shropshire UK
    Posts
    2,602
    You've found the problem, the battery is done. if it drops below 9v then it is knackered.

    I've never had a problem with cheap £30 batteries, my last one did about 4 years and was replaced before the original Yusa had problems indicating the Yusa is a more robust battery.

    However, it stands to reason that the cheapy one are not going to be as good/robust.
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert ytc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Boy View Post
    Hi, i just went out to take a look during my lunch break.

    The battery is 12.63 at rest, but as soon as i turn the key it drops to 6v! before it press the start button - as soon as i hit the starter the whole thing just shuts down, so the battery must be at fault. It's only been on the bike about a year, and i cant believe that just the ignition makes it drop to 6v. i will hook it up to a spare car battery i have to see if it turns over.
    Don't use a car battery.
    Things might go pop.
    Just buy a new one. About £40 for the German Brandi use

    Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

  6. #6
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    64
    New Battery has just arrived and been fitted (Yusa Battery from Tayna - £43 with express delivery) fitted and all seems fine. I thought i was in for the dreaded Dash problems for sure. I've never had a battery read 12.6 before (at rest) and drop so low that it wouldn't even light the dash upon the turn of a key - especially as i use the bike to commute so it had only stood over the weekend.

    Thanks Chaps - helped me out as always :-)

  7. #7
    apriliaforum expert ytc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Boy View Post
    New Battery has just arrived and been fitted (Yusa Battery from Tayna - £43 with express delivery) fitted and all seems fine. I thought i was in for the dreaded Dash problems for sure. I've never had a battery read 12.6 before (at rest) and drop so low that it wouldn't even light the dash upon the turn of a key - especially as i use the bike to commute so it had only stood over the weekend.

    Thanks Chaps - helped me out as always :-)
    Quick tip if it happens on the road, disconnect head light bulbs. It should give enough surge then

    Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

  8. #8
    apriliaforum expert dobbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    shropshire UK
    Posts
    2,602
    Thats a useful one..

    I'll also disconnect the DVD player and sandwich toaster cause I like my bit of luxury!
    “If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.” Douglas Adams

  9. #9
    apriliaforum expert ytc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    2,968
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbi View Post
    Thats a useful one..

    I'll also disconnect the DVD player and sandwich toaster cause I like my bit of luxury!
    I do have the handy override switch on the bastard :-)

    Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
    A square Peg in a round hole - http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

Similar Threads

  1. Do you have to start as soon as you turn the key?
    By mvicario in forum 2008-2016 Shiver 750 / Dorsoduro 750
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
  2. Trouble; My 2006 Scarabeo Stalls When You Relaease The Gas
    By magnet in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM
  3. What is this "input new code" when you turn on the ignition?
    By fnfalman in forum Tuono 1000 R and Tuono Factory (2006-2010)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 08:07 AM
  4. What happens when you leave the choke on?
    By arfeds in forum RS125 Euro-archive
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 01:50 PM
  5. What not to do when you borrow your buddies Mille
    By Homer in forum RSVR and RSVR Factory (2004-2009)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •