Thread: commuting

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar

commuting

is anyone commuting on their shiver? i've had great success on the old capo, the new capo and a mana. i may ditch the mana (2008) and get something newer. presently i'm doing about 22,000 miles per year on the mana. i have 86,000 miles on my '15 capo but haven't really ridden it in almost 2 years, other than weekend stuff, due to mpg of the mana. i am wondering what the distance per tank capabilities are. also what kind of luggage and wind screens do you all have? the commute might drop to 1,500 miles per year in which case i'll be talking dorso and an electric bicycle.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
    is anyone commuting on their shiver? i've had great success on the old capo, the new capo and a mana. i may ditch the mana (2008) and get something newer. presently i'm doing about 22,000 miles per year on the mana. i have 86,000 miles on my '15 capo but haven't really ridden it in almost 2 years, other than weekend stuff, due to mpg of the mana. i am wondering what the distance per tank capabilities are. also what kind of luggage and wind screens do you all have? the commute might drop to 1,500 miles per year in which case i'll be talking dorso and an electric bicycle.
    I've done some commuting on my shiver. My conclusion is there might be better commuting bikes out there. It's not bad but there are some annoyances. On my commute i have a mix of highways, inner roads, city driving and quite some traffic jams.
    - luggage options are really hard to find. hepco / becker makes side panniers but they only carry about 5 kgs of stuff each. Also they stick out quite a lot. I had them on order but cancelled it because of this.
    - I emailed Givi and they say the shiver 750 options for side and top cases should also work for the 900. So this could be an option
    - I have the OEM wind screen and it basically directs all the wind to my head and shoulders (im about 185 cm) which is annoying on long highway stretches. Have not tried the PUIG screens yet but might give it a go if I start to do more highway commutes
    - Right now after the run in period im getting about 200 kms out of one tank. Its about 15 L tank and on highways i get about 20-25 km / L (based on the avg fuel counter on the screen)
    - Also filtering through long traffic jams is not the best as you will be clutching a lot.

On the positive side.
    - I do find it still fun to drive. Quite some torque in all gears
    - riding position is comfortable. Seat is pretty good. I've driven a few hours without any problems