Thread: So who lives in Melbourne Australia

So who lives in Melbourne Australia

Just after a bit of information from Australia thinking of coming over for 2 weeks with the middle being the MotoGP

1 bike hire ? What can I expect to pay for a 7 day hire wendsday to Tuesday on something like a bmw 1200 gs or a Africa twin

2 somewhere to stay that the bikes safe near the track

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by haga lout View Post
    Just after a bit of information from Australia thinking of coming over for 2 weeks with the middle being the MotoGP

1 bike hire ? What can I expect to pay for a 7 day hire wendsday to Tuesday on something like a bmw 1200 gs or a Africa twin

2 somewhere to stay that the bikes safe near the track
    Ive been over to PI 5-6 times haga lout. I've stayed in Melbourne a few of those times and hired a car and drove out for each days practice and racing, its about 100kms each way, and straight roads. I've also hired a camper twice and stayed at the track in the camping facility (must be booked). On the Island there is accommodation in Cowes and around, but its horrendously expensive and mostly already booked out. There is a large tent area for bike riders to set up a small tent, but the islands weather is not that great very often, most times I've been its hovered around 12C and less, sometimes tho you can get lucky and see a 20C day. My wife wants to go again this year, but i really want to buy a camper van for touring around NZ.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

As Dave said about the track, most close-by accommodation is probably booked out already, except camping (can turn into mud city), I've don it twice camping with tent & bike, never again.
    I have stayed at Cowes, short ride to track, all amenities & conveniences available. Very expensive at Race weekends, but can work out OK if you are in a house with a group of friends. That gets the price reasonable. World Superbikes year before last we shared a house between 8 of us at Cowes, house was ~$540 per night, but could sleep up to 8 ppl, so ~$200 total per person for 3 nights.

Bike hire, best price I could find on a BMW R1200GSW is $150AU/day for 7 days at http://www.rideaustraliabikerentals....ke-rental.html

here is another rental with BM's, couldn't find an Africa twin. If you're prepared to go a little smaller size bike, the price gets better.

https://www.bikeroundoz.com/motorcyc...urne_bikes.asp

Don't forget to read the terms & conditions. Like the upfront Bond $2000AU +.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    As Dave said about the track, most close-by accommodation is probably booked out already, except camping (can turn into mud city), I've don it twice camping with tent & bike, never again.
    I have stayed at Cowes, short ride to track, all amenities & conveniences available. Very expensive at Race weekends, but can work out OK if you are in a house with a group of friends. That gets the price reasonable. World Superbikes year before last we shared a house between 8 of us at Cowes, house was ~$540 per night, but could sleep up to 8 ppl, so ~$200 total per person for 3 nights.

Bike hire, best price I could find on a BMW R1200GSW is $150AU/day for 7 days at http://www.rideaustraliabikerentals....ke-rental.html

here is another rental with BM's, couldn't find an Africa twin. If you're prepared to go a little smaller size bike, the price gets better.

https://www.bikeroundoz.com/motorcyc...urne_bikes.asp

Don't forget to read the terms & conditions. Like the upfront Bond $2000AU +.
    Thanks for that how does the bond work is it like when you hire a car you pay for hire on credit card and if there’s damage they take it off the same card or do they take it off card first if I can get the trip sorted I’ll be coming over on my own so house is out but a camper like Dave mentioned my be my best option I’d still like to bike it but camper may work out cheaper I’d only need a small on e

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Ive been over to PI 5-6 times haga lout. I've stayed in Melbourne a few of those times and hired a car and drove out for each days practice and racing, its about 100kms each way, and straight roads. I've also hired a camper twice and stayed at the track in the camping facility (must be booked). On the Island there is accommodation in Cowes and around, but its horrendously expensive and mostly already booked out. There is a large tent area for bike riders to set up a small tent, but the islands weather is not that great very often, most times I've been its hovered around 12C and less, sometimes tho you can get lucky and see a 20C day. My wife wants to go again this year, but i really want to buy a camper van for touring around NZ.
    Thanks Dave for the info what’s the ruff price for a small camper as I’ll be coming on my own if I can get the trip to work doing it as part of trip to see my mate for surprise birthday 65th he move to NZ in 1990

Thanks for that how does the bond work is it like when you hire a car you pay for hire on credit card and if there’s damage they take it off the same card or do they take it off card first if I can get the trip sorted I’ll be coming over on my own so house is out but a camper like Dave mentioned my be my best option I’d still like to bike it but camper may work out cheaper I’d only need a small on e
    yeah a bond is usually an authorisation on your credit card that they can use if they have to.

Camper may be cheaper to hire than the big bike, small bikes & cars are reasonable.
    Have a look >http://www.aussiecampervans.com/melb...van-rental.htm

You may be able to single accommodation in San Remo which is just off the Island & only 10 minutes to the track.
    AirBnB is your cheapest option. https://www.airbnb.com.au/a/San-Remo...BoCwRAQAvD_BwE

This shows where San Remo is located relative to the Island, https://www.visitmelbourne.com/Regio...tions/San-Remo

I have done AirBnb in other places & it was very economical, friendly people & no problem with privacy.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Thanks Dave for the info what’s the ruff price for a small camper as I’ll be coming on my own if I can get the trip to work doing it as part of trip to see my mate for surprise birthday 65th he move to NZ in 1990
    18 months back we hired a small camper van in Brisbane, it was an old high milage model, but a reliable toyota. (Go Cheap) i think from memory it worked out around $145nz, $130 Au per day with insurance The campers we hired in Melbourne were modern 4 berth (actually brand new and we ran it in) and was around $400 per day all up. If you can't get a campsite booking for a camper, you could camp outside the track in the many grass car parks, or by a beach. Are you flying to NZ later to meet your 65 year old mate??.........Asked the wife, and she found the hire contract. PS cheapest we could find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0944.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	384810  

Last edited by DaveNZ; 07-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

Thanks Dave for the info whatís the ruff price for a small camper as Iíll be coming on my own if I can get the trip to work doing it as part of trip to see my mate for surprise birthday 65th he move to NZ in 1990
    If you are one out, stay in Melbourne and get the bus out and back to the track each day. Accomí in Melbourne will offer you much more in terms of choices and $ and you get to avoid the cluster fuck that is Cowes on PI at gp weekend.
    Gen 1 Tuono
    Tuono V4

Yes if it all pans out I’m looking at 2 weeks in NZ as I’ve never been

Yes if it all pans out I’m looking at 2 weeks in NZ as I’ve never been
    Cool, if your close id like to catch up, if your tiki touring around, most wellcome to stay, I'm central North Island.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Cool, if your close id like to catch up, if your tiki touring around, most wellcome to stay, I'm central North Island.
    Hi Dave thanks for that I’ve spoke to his wife and now maybe meeting up at Philip island as a surprise I’ve been looking at a organised tour there’s one that does a trip to aus and Malaysian the weekend after that sorts everything flytes hotel everything apart from food beer and suverniers for £3500 for 6 nights in aus 6 nights in Malaysia it mite work out easier for not a lot more