Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 138 oil filters

  1. #1
    apriliaforum newb ascarry black16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    cairns qld
    Posts
    25

    138 oil filters

    HI i recently bought an oil filter K&N 138 for my ascari black 2016 rr but had a look online and saw they blow the oil all over the road/track a lot! So before i installed it i just got a hiflow 138 RC model. My question is does anyone have any experience to share with oil filters especially the 138 and 138RC version as it sais it is the racing version of hiflow filter which may help cooling and removing wear from the moving parts. I am using penrite 5w-40 with zinc additive and an engine flush prior to oil change. Is hiflow a reliable brand i dont want oil on my rear tire lol!! I am just worried about oil filters now i shouldnt be!

  2. #2
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    88
    If you're that concerned about your oil filters why not get OEM filters? I've used OEM and K&N filters on road and track without issue. Hi-flow is a brand the site sponsor AF1 carries, and although I haven't used one, AF1 doesn't really carry any garbage products.

  3. #3
    Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    37 miles E. of ATX, TX USA.
    Posts
    27,886
    Highflow is safe, OEM standard replacement. Dunno about any claims beyond this however, if you think an filter can improve cooling I’m guessing your far more optimistic than I. K&N we will not sell nor install. A few years back they had mesoscale problems but, still seeing failed filters, personally I’d avoid. Highflow or OEM for me.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

    Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

  4. #4
    apriliaforum expert SquireSCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Highflow is safe, OEM standard replacement. Dunno about any claims beyond this however, if you think an filter can improve cooling I’m guessing your far more optimistic than I. K&N we will not sell nor install. A few years back they had mesoscale problems but, still seeing failed filters, personally I’d avoid. Highflow or OEM for me.
    I used K&N for years and never had an issue. Then I had one on my 2017 Speed Triple S... was up in the Mtns, heading towards Highlands, SC... on Warwoman Rd, which is a really fun bit of twisties....

    I see that my traction control lights are coming on, a LOT. Bike feels a little weird, but I thought maybe there was gravel in the road or something... I come up to a stop sign and my wife comes in on the bluetooth and tells me to get off the road that I am dumping oil everywhere... As I stopped, the oil started hitting the exhaust and it's smoking everywhere...

    Right at the nut, the spot welding had popped. Lost about a quart of oil as it sat there pissing on the ground, as I waited 5 hours for my wife to ride home, grab my truck and ramps and come back for me...

    Took the filter off and made a video of it leaking and contacted K&N, sent them a letter about how it could have killed me, etc... They asked me to send them the filter, sent me a check for $350 for a new set of tires and a week later they recalled the filters.



    I stopped using them that day, and found a new appreciation for just how good modern traction control systems are. My rear tire(Pirella Super Corsa SP) was covered in oil, and I didn't crash in the twisties... The electronics helped keep me upright and out of a ravine...

    I now use the HiFlo filters and crush washers from AF1... I use K&N air filters in some vehicles, and I will still use their oil filters so long as they are the internal style, that go inside and are covered under a seal cover, rather than the external style with the nut.

  5. #5
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    France
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    Highflow is safe, OEM standard replacement. Dunno about any claims beyond this however, if you think an filter can improve cooling I’m guessing your far more optimistic than I. K&N we will not sell nor install. A few years back they had mesoscale problems but, still seeing failed filters, personally I’d avoid. Highflow or OEM for me.
    same here, hiflowRC or standard oem Aprilia. About the same price

    change every two weekends, oil and filter, it’s a race bike

    unless I’m corrected, the RC is the same as 138 only it has the nut lug and hole in order to lock wire it for racing
    Previous bikes : AR50 - AR80 - CB250N - RD350LC - RGV250 - VT400 - TDR250 - VIRAGO 535 - RF600 - RF900 - CBR600 - GSXR750 - TL1000R - T160 TRIUMPH - R1 - PIAGGIO - R6 - RC30 - 916SPS - VFR800 - 675 DAYTONA - CBR600RR - TL1000R - YZF750 - RSV4 FACTORY.

  6. #6
    apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Central virginia
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    I used K&N for years and never had an issue. Then I had one on my 2017 Speed Triple S... was up in the Mtns, heading towards Highlands, SC... on Warwoman Rd, which is a really fun bit of twisties....

    I see that my traction control lights are coming on, a LOT. Bike feels a little weird, but I thought maybe there was gravel in the road or something... I come up to a stop sign and my wife comes in on the bluetooth and tells me to get off the road that I am dumping oil everywhere... As I stopped, the oil started hitting the exhaust and it's smoking everywhere...

    Right at the nut, the spot welding had popped. Lost about a quart of oil as it sat there pissing on the ground, as I waited 5 hours for my wife to ride home, grab my truck and ramps and come back for me...

    Took the filter off and made a video of it leaking and contacted K&N, sent them a letter about how it could have killed me, etc... They asked me to send them the filter, sent me a check for $350 for a new set of tires and a week later they recalled the filters.



    I stopped using them that day, and found a new appreciation for just how good modern traction control systems are. My rear tire(Pirella Super Corsa SP) was covered in oil, and I didn't crash in the twisties... The electronics helped keep me upright and out of a ravine...

    I now use the HiFlo filters and crush washers from AF1... I use K&N air filters in some vehicles, and I will still use their oil filters so long as they are the internal style, that go inside and are covered under a seal cover, rather than the external style with the nut.
    That's actually a really cool story, and really nice of K&N to actually give you cash and not say "sorry we'll fix it for the future".

  7. #7
    apriliaforum expert SquireSCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,604
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastynacho View Post
    That's actually a really cool story, and really nice of K&N to actually give you cash and not say "sorry we'll fix it for the future".
    Yeah, I just emailed them and they reached out to me and I was very blunt... there is a reason why many track day organizations and race groups banned their oil filters... My story was a ruined afternoon and set of tires, but had I gone down hard and broken my back, they would be looking at an 8 figure lawsuit... They were really cool about it and took care of me, and like I said, a week later that recall was issued and I am pretty sure it was my situation that helped tip the scales. YOU'RE WELCOME. haha

  8. #8
    apriliaforum newb ascarry black16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    cairns qld
    Posts
    25
    Oh sweet thanks for the replies peoples. I saw so much on k&n and went omfg, i am afraid to give the k&n away at this stage, they used to be possibly the greatest air filters some time ago... Well, its oil change weekend and locking the butterfly valve open, the hiflow138RC will go in. Got that akra with heat wrap and link pipe sound that is sounding amazing, smoothest - how do i upload possibly the smoothest > 2015 RSV4 sound? Plus the p08-f1-85 air filter is on the way-will need > akra fuel mapping..and want to put on 15-44 sprockets and 520chain..there is next to no chance i will do 260 kms hr these days, actually more chance if it gets there faster... ..and no track for thousands of kms. Found a bike club (sports bike) to think i would otherwise have to talk to harley riders about bikes. But they are everywhere--- i have never otherwise seen black lace stretched so far, reminds me of madMAX..meep

    I now use the HiFlo filters and crush washers from AF1... I use K&N air filters in some vehicles, and I will still use their oil filters so long as they are the internal style, that go inside and are covered under a seal cover, rather than the external style with the nut.[/QUOTE]

  9. #9
    apriliaforum newb
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    28
    K&n are garbage. i put the one on my MV brutale because its all cycle gear had in stock and it leaked from the nut. i was lucky to not slip because of it. it was all over the headers and rear tire. failed after about 500 miles. i just replaced it with the hiflo and so far no issues.

  10. #10
    Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    37 miles E. of ATX, TX USA.
    Posts
    27,886
    Their filters flow more air on a flowbench but I’ve not seen any modern bike motor that really benefited at all from a k&n vs paper filter. Simply put if a paper filter on a turbocharged motor can flow say 400 bhp, there is zero advantage on a 180 bhp motor, downside is FAR greater particulate size that can not be filtered out. Just a guy with a dyno and a strong opinion.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

    Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

  11. #11
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    177
    What i heard from authorized dealer about k&n is that they tend to have bad bunches (QC problem) from time to time, there were recalls recently in my area, they had bad threads.
    As a result they came undone and oil leaked, some motors were,... stopped unexpectedly, so to say during ride time.
    So check the thread before installing. What I tend to do now, is safety wire them.
    They now use only hiflow and oem, k&n only on demand.

  12. #12
    apriliaforum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Nederland
    Posts
    96
    Friend of mine had a K&N oil filter, during endurance race it completely blew off the thread. Result all oil running in the lower fairing and starting to burn!
    Luckily the Marshals could help him and the damage seemed to be minimal, unfortunately he didn't check the engine so 2 track days later the engine broke down completely! Probably because running without oil for a short time

  13. #13
    apriliaforum expert plocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    4,723
    Quote Originally Posted by heuveltje View Post
    Friend of mine had a K&N oil filter, during endurance race it completely blew off the thread.
    Yep & that's why safety wiring wont help this poor excuse for an oil filter.

    See this >> https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...3Bn+oil+filter
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

  14. #14
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    358
    Iíve always heard the stories, but still ran the K&Nís . I just ordered a few HiFlo Race filters to replace the K&N . Also saved money as the HiFlo are cheaper !

Similar Threads

  1. Oil filter cover leaking
    By Choptop in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 10:55 AM
  2. Oil Filter Leak
    By ducatiwv in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 01:30 AM
  3. Changing the Oil & Filter - Filter Screen Cleaning
    By hank in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 09:53 AM
  4. Brake pad and oil filter questions
    By oab97 in forum SL1000 Falco Forum (all years)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:54 PM
  5. alternate oil filter numbers?
    By mtiberio in forum Pegaso 650 Cube and IE
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2001, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •