Thread: Urgent Service message

apriliaforum prov-nov

Urgent Service message

Yesterday, while on a ride, I got the dreaded urgent service warning in flashing red, bike would go in to limp mode etc... Noticed the screen was flickering which leads me to think it might be an electrical issue. I check the battery connection this morning and noticed the positive side was really loose so I tightened it.

Anyone else had similar issues?

apriliaforum newb ascarry black16's Avatar
    Sure, mine is doing it occasionally, mine doesn't stay on though. But never had a flickering dash! oh no. I think mine has to do with a gear selection issue, it always goes of within a few minutes while i disgracefully plan my next move..it still scares me like a thousand expensive stallions are exiting my anus or something and my eyes bulge and begin to sweat... its happened to me 3 or 4 times in a thousand kms. Plus i have had two blinker red lights to the same effect, from leaving my turn indicators on. thats it bro. Mine always has the abs and flashing orange on startup that goes off when i start riding.

This isnt a pro response but maybe you should check your fuses for proper connections too.

You asked and i gave you my problems. What happened after you tightened the battery terminal?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Rode in fine this morning. Going to drop it off at the dealer to see if they can read the code it was throwing. My check engine light is still on atm.

apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sliu070 View Post
    Rode in fine this morning. Going to drop it off at the dealer to see if they can read the code it was throwing. My check engine light is still on atm.
    To own this bike, you basically HAVE to own Lonelec cables and use guzzidiag to read random codes that could pop up.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Noted. Gonna look for them now

Quote Originally Posted by sliu070 View Post
    I check the battery connection this morning and noticed the positive side was really loose so I tightened it.
    Looks like you found the cause of your problem, and a ride verified the repair. Case closed.
    2013 Tuono V4R APRC, Sunlit yellow
    2001 Yamaha FZ-1
    1999 TL1000S street fighter

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Bike is still with the dealer. They can't seem to be able to clear the check engine light. Saying its a CANBUS error, but cant figure out what it is.

Ahhh, the dreaded CANBUS.

Yellow Shirt

Still can't get Guzzidiag to work

Quote Originally Posted by Toastynacho View Post
    To own this bike, you basically HAVE to own Lonelec cables and use guzzidiag to read random codes that could pop up.
    I've bought two sets of cables, including a set that supposedly included the chip that everyone says you must have, and using either set (or mixed-and-matched sets) results in ... nothing. I have an early 2012 Tuono V4APRC (US) and am wondering if the very early run of the bike is somehow different than the later 2012s and beyond. I've noticed, for example, that the manual's description of the diagnostic menu doesn't match my diagnostic menu. (But then again, the manual isn't very helpful about much of anything. It sometimes refers to the same component by two different names, for example.)

I've gone round and round with the Urgent Service message; it went away for about a year after I hard-wired the oil pressure sensor, but it came back. I installed a new sensor, and Urgent Service went away, but the sensor itself spewed oil. After I rectified that issue, Urgent Service has returned. To complicate matters, the engine started cutting out, primarily in 2nd and 3rd gear (probably above 7,000 rpm, which seems to be the limp-home rpm limit) and most often on bumpy roads and when the bike is leaned to the right.

Throttle position sensor, maybe? But I can't get Guzzidiag to work.

All constructive comments are welcomed...

Quote Originally Posted by ranneya View Post
    But I can't get Guzzidiag to work.

All constructive comments are welcomed...
    It's not the bike model, it's either user error or bad cables.

Just buy the Lonelec cables & be trouble free. https://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?...&product_id=51

If you need conformation of that then read all of the following thread to see how many people had cable problems from other sourced cables.
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...idiag-for-RSV4
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Yellow Shirt

Unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by plocky View Post
    It's not the bike model, it's either user error or bad cables.

Just buy the Lonelec cables & be trouble free. https://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?...&product_id=51

If you need conformation of that then read all of the following thread to see how many people had cable problems from other sourced cables.
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...idiag-for-RSV4

... those are my cables; I followed the advice contained that thread. But thanks.

On a happier note, I pulled apart the connectors at the throttle position sensor, which came apart a bit too easily. When I went to put them back together, they required a lot of force to get them to click in. The good news: The Urgent Service message and the engine cutout ceased, at least for my 20-mile test drive on a bumpy road. The bad news: The locking mechanism of one connector broke while I was putting pressure on the connector. So now I either have to trust duct tape to do the job, or I need a new connector. The duct tape has worked for 20 miles.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    ... those are my cables; I followed the advice contained that thread. But thanks.

On a happier note, I pulled apart the connectors at the throttle position sensor, which came apart a bit too easily. When I went to put them back together, they required a lot of force to get them to click in. The good news: The Urgent Service message and the engine cutout ceased, at least for my 20-mile test drive on a bumpy road. The bad news: The locking mechanism of one connector broke while I was putting pressure on the connector. So now I either have to trust duct tape to do the job, or I need a new connector. The duct tape has worked for 20 miles.
    cable tie around it end to end ,,,it won’t come apart.

Yellow Shirt

Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve37 View Post
    cable tie around it end to end ,,,it won’t come apart.
    Thanks! Great idea.

Yellow Shirt

Happy to be mistaken

... those are my cables; I followed the advice contained [in] that thread. But thanks.
    Turns out I was wrong -- I must have been on a different thread, with the result being I do not have the Lonelec cables. They're on order now. Thanks to plocky, et al.