Thread: Break-in period before Trackday

apriliaforum Member

Break-in period before Trackday

Hi team - so I've had my Tuono for a little less than a month, Seattle unfortunately hasn't gotten much of summer weather even though we're mid-way through July now and I'm stuck at ~600 miles. Thus far I've limited the rev range to 7500, and my understanding is the recommendation is to stick to 8500 until 1200 miles. However, I have a trackday this Sunday and I don't think there's going to be a way for me to crank out another 600 miles unless I do just straight highway riding (which isn't really the style of riding we want to do for breakin period).

My question is...is this 2nd tier of breakin period (1200 miles, <8500 RPM) necessary? Can I just track the bike and ride normally?

Thank you!

apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    I've been absolutely ripping it since the first oil change at 621mi.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    One wordx answer, No. Get the 1st service done or change the oil before the track day and then enjoy it to it's fullest potential

apriliaforum Member
    omg I love you guys, thank you. The limiter light is currently set at 7000, what do you have it set at?

Mine is set to 12,200rpm, but that's because mine has the rev limit of the motor set to 12,700rpm. So I have a little 500rpm window of over-rev between when the shift light comes on, and I hit the actual rev limiter.

Change your oil and do the track day. Modern bikes don't need a long break in period. That's in there because of outdated manuals, and corporate lawyers.

Ride the bike "normal", meaning have fun but don't beat on it, for a hundred or so miles, change the oil and filter, and off you go, ride it as you will. It will be fine.

apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    i cant recall, if i'm not mistaken mine is set to either 12,000 even or 12,200.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    Mine is set to 12,200rpm, but that's because mine has the rev limit of the motor set to 12,700rpm. So I have a little 500rpm window of over-rev between when the shift light comes on, and I hit the actual rev limiter.

Change your oil and do the track day. Modern bikes don't need a long break in period. That's in there because of outdated manuals, and corporate lawyers.

Ride the bike "normal", meaning have fun but don't beat on it, for a hundred or so miles, change the oil and filter, and off you go, ride it as you will. It will be fine.
    thank you! do you recall what the stock rev limit warning light should be set at? I bought the bike used and it was set to 7000 by the dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by carotte View Post
    thank you! do you recall what the stock rev limit warning light should be set at? I bought the bike used and it was set to 7000 by the dealership.
    Just set it at 12,000. The tune I am using raised the rev limiter a few hundred RPM, but if you are on the stock or race ECU mapping it is likely a hard limiter at 12,500 and power probably starts to drop off at 12,000rpm anyway, so shifting there is a good idea...

You can see where mine revs out to around 12,800 but the power is tapering off... I can hold a gear a little longer but 12k is about where I should be shifting if I am trying to accelerate as fast as possible...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-17 14_06_52-WinPEP 8 Data Center.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	384624

apriliaforum Member
    THANK YOU! Setting that as soon as I get home from work. now to fix my front brake...lol

apriliaforum Member East Bay Blake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastynacho View Post
    I've been absolutely ripping it since the first oil change at 621mi.
    ^^
    Truth. Change oil and get out on the track. Have fun. Repeat.

apriliaforum Member
    I did the first service at 457 miles and did a track day that week. 1400 miles and two track days on the bike now, no issues. Another track day coming next week.
    2018 Tuono RR

I had a 180 or so miles on my new Speed Triple in 2011, and I finished the breakin on the track, no issues.