Thread: Just when it looked safe to start saying nice things about the ADD....

apriliaforum Member

Just when it looked safe to start saying nice things about the ADD....

...I’ve now had the bike for a couple of months; 3,000 or so miles on everything from rutted single track (fine until you’re going downhill in something soft) to 6 lane highway (fine, if you don’t mind the buffeting.) Arguably I have other bikes set up with better single purpose suspensions, but this handles everything, all the time, with no messing at all! I just leave it on automatic, and all is well. Maybe a little soft, but well.

Until today, when i went for a ride with a 160 lb passenger and the dreaded red light turned on. Now it appears the rear suspension isn’t adjusting; the red light turns on and the suspension icons flash after a few seconds, no matter what I set the suspension to. Hopefully I can diagnose this down to a hardware problem, and avoid the trip to a dealer for various “resetting” “reprogramming” and “calibrating” of the software. It seems to me that even the dealers don’t fully understand how all the software works.

Pity no one has hacked an ADD control system yet.

Sam

Mmmmm! Sorry to say i had a similar problem, resolved under warranty but requiring a replacement unit for the automatic preload adjuster.

apriliaforum Member
    Thats what I suspect too; perhaps when I threw the extra weight on the bike for the 1st time it moved to an area of preload where it didnt normally go and...got stuck.

As good fate would have it, there was a complete Capo shock with 5k miles on it on Ebay for $200; I snapped that up so I can figure out how one works on the bench top. A further plus is I can shim/revalve/respring it as I see fit and hopefully have a spare.

Sam

apriliaforum newb
    I had the red light and the suspension icons come on for a short period three weeks ago. Bike is under warranty so back to the dealers. No fault code on the diagnostics.
    The dealer told me it was a general warning light and in my case it was a dirty wheel sensor and sticky exhaust valve between pipe and silencer. These were cleaned and reset. The bike now accelerates much smoother and noticeably better. The red light has stopped off.

Thought I would mention it as they are cheap and easy checks.

Mark

apriliaforum Member
    4 week wait for the dealer to check the codes. Ow. Next closest dealer is 120 miles away, and I’m not sure they’d be any faster.

apriliaforum Member
    Swapping the shock out solved the problem. I count myself as very lucky in that there happened to be a shock on EBay for $200, and that I wanted a shock to dismantle/evaluate/rebuild anyway. Changing the shock is a PITA, of course - but actually, getting the bodywork/tank off wasn’t quite as horrible as I feared. I have the shop manual, and it pretty much covered all the bases.

Most importantly, it dropped right in with no calibration. I’m curious what the calibration does: from what I understand it does everything while the bike is on the center stand, so it cant be doing much, other than maybe establishing the full range of travel of the preload, and calibrating it to an internal sensor. I plan on bringing it to a dealer (in a month, when I can get a service appt) and having them do the recalibrate, just in case. I’ll bet I can’t tell any difference.

Checking out the old rear shock will have to wait until fall, when I’m not riding. Worst case, though - the preload motor still works, and I could make a manual electric preload adjuster for my Futura. :-)

Sam
    Last edited by Motoespresso; 08-08-2019 at 09:06 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Hey Sam,

Scary. i am looking a 2015 with 3k miles tour pack to purchase. There are no dealers in Massachusetts as far as i know . this thread scares me.

apriliaforum Member
    Yes, it's a risk. No dealer in MA, seacoast is good but busy, and I hear there's a good shop out in Western CT. But the bikes are so good and so affordable that I don't regret the choice. You hear of all the failures on a forum like this,but I think the bike is mostly reliable. That said, there is no way I'd have this as my only bike!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoespresso View Post
    Iím curious what the calibration does: from what I understand it does everything while the bike is on the center stand, so it cant be doing much, other than maybe establishing the full range of travel of the preload, and calibrating it to an internal sensor.. :-)

Sam
    That's exactly what the calibration does. I had a new shock fitted after it blew a seal and oil all over the back of the bike after just 3k miles. The dealer fitted a new shock and gave me the bike back. A few miles later the ADD warnings came on. Turns out the dealer didn't calibrate it with PADS. Watched them do it, engine running and the pump cycles to full and min preload a few times till the computer says yes and it's good to go.

If you are going to be near a dealer, worth getting it calibrated I'd say.