Thread: Decal removal - Part Deux ...

apriliaforum prov-nov

Decal removal - Part Deux ...

Hi folks,

I posted about this quite some time ago, tried some of the suggestions, and just can't seem to figure this out. Like every bike, there are decals on the storage "tank," and I just can't seem to be able to get them off without lifting off the paint. I find that the finish is SO sensitive that I am invariably chipping it off. I've tried heat guns, left the bike in the sun, and even "fingernail picking" causes the paint to lift. I've even tried a decal solvent - no luck, it couldn't penetrate.

Before I totally wreck the paint job, any other suggestiongs for removal? Thanks in advance...

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I used a heat gun set to low at the lowest temp of 450 and a plastic razor.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    the wife had 2 ways to remove decals. the first was lemon oil. worked pretty well. the other was simply crash or drop the bike and get new plastic bits. tada!! no decals.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Update...

So, I've tried (almost) everything to remove these decals, and no luck. Actually, worse than that - whatever I do takes some paint off.

A heat gun, set low, low, low, and plastic razors - absolutely no good. The paint is SO easily scrapeable. Can scratch off paint so easily with just a fingernail.

I bought my bike, new old stock, last year, and still covered by the two year US warranty. It's a 2014. Do you think this might be a warranty claim? Brittle paint, or something? Stored badly? This shouldn't be so difficult!!

Thanks in advance...

No it would not be a warranty claim! FFS you are trying to remove legally mandated stickers, (Regardless of whether they are needed or useful.) and damaged the paint. Your fault. Own it for crying out loud!
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yikers. Been accused of a lot in my day - but not "owning" decal removal is not one them. Had no clue that decal removal is such a hot button topic. I'll crawl back into my newbie hole again, never to ask another question adhesive screw-up related...

Don't be ridiculous. Asking questions about removing warning stickers is logical enough, they are ugly and a bit of a joke and I can fully understand not wanting them on the bike but suggesting that if you damage the paint while doing it it should be a warranty issue is absurd!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Call my crazy, but I've bought lottery tickets that are more difficult to scratch off!

They aren't designed to be easy to take off! Mind you most people seem to be able to manage it without ruining their paint!

We don't have stickers here, certainly not as many as you do in the US, but on bikes I've owned in America I've managed to remove them without any undue issue and I am far from skilled in such removal.

Look, I'm sorry you damaged your paint, bad luck, but it's not the manufacturer's fault so it's not a warranty issue.

Google an eraser wheel, watch a couple YouTubes on them. They're pretty damn magic, and cheap too.

Dogs are the best people.

Based on my experience with designing graphics for vehicles, I'm guessing the warning stickers use permanent adhesive as they are not intended to be removed. Most graphics you see on vans etc use a removable adhesive that just needs warming up to allow the stickers to be peeled off. We always warn vehicle owners not to put stickers on new vehicles as the paint needs several months to cure. The solvents in the glue will reactivate new paint and form a bond as strong as the paint adhesion to the layers below, making removal almost impossible except by mechanical processes and then repainting the damaged surface. Given that the warning stickers were applied in the factory and the bike is new, old stock it seems certain that the stickers have had plenty of time to form a permanent bond with the paint that will almost certainly mean the only way to get them off is to sand them off and repaint.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders