Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough room between footpegs and knee indents in tank

apriliaforum newb

Not enough room between footpegs and knee indents in tank

I'll see if I can fix this when I'm home but just wondering if anybody else has the same experience with an easy fix:
    I have only had my 2005 Tuono for a couple of days but today noticed that my lower leg seems too long on my left, Iím 6í and maybe my legs are slightly longer than most but not really. Between where the tank curves out over my knee and the footpeg my leg feels ďjammedĒ and it is restricting gear changes and movement a little. I will have a close look tonight but is there adjustment in the footpeg or just the shifter?

apriliaforum prov-nov blacklines's Avatar
    Yeah I have a 2003 Mille, I'm 6'6" and I think the sharp edges on the tank are annoying. In all other ways it's a big bike, it's just that sharp cutout that wedges your knees in so you have to ride on your toes and can't use the rear brake.

Do you have rearsets? What worked for me was pushing them as far back as possible. Can go down a bit but personally I prefer them one down from the highest setting. So long as they go back far enough they will point your knee downwards away from the lip on the tank.

I still can't comfortably use the rear brake but I don't feel trapped in position like I did before. My mate gave me some sets that go an extra 20mm further back and I think that will improve it further. Failing that I considered some spacers under the tank bolts at the front.
    Owen

apriliaforum expert
    I had the same problem with the Falco. My inseam is 95cm and I'm 191cm tall, and that severly limits my choice of bikes. Try these rearsets. They're pretty and solved my leg problem.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...R-EVO-rearsets

It's the tank that's the issue really. Rearsets are the solution we have but it's treating the symptom, not the problem.

The problem is the sharp lip low down on the tank. I had a ride on my mates GSXR 750. Although that felt smaller my legs felt great because the sides of the tank were more flat. When I've sat on an RSV4 the tank is also flatter on that. I wonder which tanks will fit a gen 1.
    Owen

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I’m 6’6” and just learned to live with it. The rest of the bike is big so it’s all right.

If you can find some rearsets that are further back without necessarily being lower it will lower your knees a surprising amount. Found this with Woodcraft.
    This is America. Use your turn signals or WE WILL KILL YOU - remember Sandra Bland

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks guys will consider rearsets if i find I can't live with it.

If you're running a single pipe, did you know you can reverse the footrest hangers?

Left to right and so on.

Gives you over an inch extra legroom.

If you have a 2-2 system, the hanger fouls on the left hand pipe.
    Some people will tell you that slow is good Ė but Iím here to tell you that fast is better. Iíve always believed this, in spite of the trouble itís caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.
    Do Not Be Offended By Anything I Post. I Generally Talk Out Of My Arse.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Oh hell...I’m trying this!

did not know that..feel stupid, doing it to one tomorrow.
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by GC6269 View Post
    If you're running a single pipe, did you know you can reverse the footrest hangers?

Left to right and so on.

Once you have ruined your reputation, you can live quite freely

04 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia Tuono
    04 Aprilia RSV1000r (destroyed 8/23/19, was my first )
    08 Aprilia Tuono (hers)
    04 Aprilia SR50 (hers)
    13 Honda cbr250r (hers)
    16 Honda cbr500r

get yourself the knight design lowered pegs .it really worth it.i'm 6'' tall myself,and the knight design pegs changed the whole picture.before i was really not confortable ,and now i'm really confortable.it's drastic as is.seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    get yourself the knight design lowered pegs .it really worth it.i'm 6'' tall myself,and the knight design pegs changed the whole picture.before i was really not confortable ,and now i'm really confortable.it's drastic as is.seriously.

I’m using the Slingshot Racing pegs and have them adjusted back rather than down, working out great.

6’4” with a 34 inch inseam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic View Post
    Growing old is compulsory............but growing up isn't!!

Yes, back rather than down if possible. 0.5" back is better than 2" down in terms of clearing that tank cutout with your knees.

I'd previously tried my sets upside down (and left to right) giving over an inch drop. It helped a bit but I didn't like how low the pegs felt. Not for clearance, it just felt a bit crap and more like a commuter bike than a sport bike.

I then put them back the right way up and went to the next setting back. I'd avoided it before because the 0.5" further back it went also meant I had to go up 0.5" at the same time because the lowest holes were higher than the previous row. This immediately felt better and I then tried at the highest setting before settling on the one down from highest. It feels sporty and nimble again now, while still giving more knee room than when it was dropped. There has to be at least 2" difference in height too so that small amount back made a hell of a difference.
    Owen

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by GC6269 View Post

Left to right and so on.

Holy sheet that's the answer I was looking for, thanks will try that. I don't need much, an inch will do the trick.

The 2 bolts holding the tank down, mill a couple of bushes/spacers and lift the tank 3/8". Did it on the falcon and with dropped pegs it really helps
    Fire Red Falco, my 1st Love.
    sidestand mod (Hayabusa), charging mod, larger sealed airbox, Gabro chip lower Buell rider pegs, braided lines, custom rider seat, home brew hard panniers, OHlins bouncer
    Add Two Tone RS Touring Futura'04, knock-off levers, charging mod, 05map, NWS hugger, Ohlins shock, 12v socket, lowered rider pegs, 848 twin exhausts, revamped plate hanger with pannier support.
    What's not to love!!.er

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast