Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Futura throttle hesitation, hanging idle

apriliaforum prov-nov

Futura throttle hesitation, hanging idle

Hi All,

I've noticed recently that my futura has some intermittent hesitation when I blip the throttle. It also is sometimes slow to return to idle from 2-3000 rpm after said throttle is blipped. The bike is stock with '05 map, no fpr mod, and aftermarket mufflers. It is just a bit annoying at this point, I am mostly aware of it when trying to match engine speed for downshifts. The bike otherwise runs perfectly, start, idle, running, etc.

I'm thinking maybe stepper motor and/or vacuum lines to throttle bodies or TB sync ?

Suggestions welcome...….Thanks!

If any of those hoses are still OE, definitely replace them. A vacuum leak or air getting past the IAC can do this. Even if those big black hoses going to the stepper motor look OK, replace them.

Assuming the throttle cable and linkage in front of the TBs are clean and OK. another spot that can cause issues is where the throttle plates make a seal in the throats of the TBs. Goo tends to build up right there and can result in the throttles not completely closed. So carb cleaner or lacquer thinner and Q-tips will deal with this easily.

Once you het this sorted, you'll want to check the TB sync - though it's usual quite stable.

I must confess that I havent changed the large hoses to the stepper motor. Dont think they will crack easy.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I replaced all the hoses around the TBs a while ago, using these nice squishy silicone tubes. The wall thickness was a little greater than the OEM hoses and the hose clamps larger, so one of the hoses was leaking. It made throttle response off idle a little hesitant.

I sold the bike recently and the new owner emailed shortly after to say that he'd checked the hoses and fixed a leak, and now the bike runs great. So I'm glad not to have sold a dodgy bike, and he's glad to have a bike that runs even better than he expected.

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    I must confess that I havent changed the large hoses to the stepper motor. Dont think they will crack easy.
    Yep, they get a tad brittle but don't crack. I guess if one never took the air box off, they'd never leak air. But as those hoses get stiff, they don't seem to make as good a seal.

I've had high idle issues and a couple of hot start-up troubles that were fixed by replacing them. I, of course, replaced them one at a time, so I've had the problems pop up twice. live and learn.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thank you for the input...……..I'll get under the hood (bonnet?) in the next few days and see what I find. I'm definitely being picky about a very minor issue at this point, but if there is an issue I'd rather catch it before it catches me 500 miles from home.
    Best Regards to all

apriliaforum newb
    Of coarse, Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Those hoses can get mighty crispy.

I had a similar issue with a fast idle that was cause from a faulty Thermosensor.
    The one for the engine is on the left side. It is possible to swap sensors,IE, Coolant temp for the gauge with engine temp for ECU which is good for diagnosis purposes.

Balanced throttle bodies are important too.

Have also a fast idle pb on a buddy's fut. I spent two days to clear it . All checks done I think . When I close stepper hole with finger engine die so that I suppose have no leak on TB.
    As the bike ride well I do some runs of 100 km then idle now is down from 3000 to 2000 & sometime I get 1200/1300 when cold engine starting or with the first gear , brakes on, release clutch a little & engine get right iddle !!!
    On this bike I replaced elec loom by one in very good condition, replaced ECU last year , get no default on tuneEcu & battery is 12.7V. Change stepper motor twice (by two in good condition , tested "off airbox" & key on/off) turn 180° his position .
    I ask to my buddy to ride like this and I believe that ECU will do the job after some rides ??
    BKMO post : https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ght=hight+idle
    Hans post : https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...t=erratic+idle
    If that rides don't work, I'll try to swap temp sensors but I never see pb with this sensor then after try an other ECU ??
    Any thoughts ??

I don't think the ECU will learn anything - on its own w/o telling it thru Tune ECU or other software.

My bike has done this a couple times over the 16 years I've owned it and it was always something mechanical that could be fixed by cleaning, lubing or changing out tubing.

Make sure the throttle plates are closing completely - clean the bores of any gum that's built up around the throat of the TBs where they seat.

Lube the throttle cables and clean/lightly lube the return spring assembly at the front of the throttle body assembly

Has anyone ever messed with the throttle stop screw on this bike? It's really something that should not be touched.

Have you tested the one way poppet valves in the vacuum lines?

For me when I plug/clogged-up the hole of the stepper in the air box (air box open) and the engine stop immediatly, I suppose I'm clear with : throttle blade tight, throttle cables play, all vacuum pipes, I'm tight between throttle blades & intake valves & idle is only adjusted with the stepper . I try to fit 3 stepper that work on my other fut, I also try with other spacer (between air box & stepper), checked shape of ceramic plugs & clean/polish them, check that after each on/off ignition key the stepper motor do the job (whenI put off it take it's zero by closing then re-open of 2 mm), turn 180° the stepper, check if not hard point in moving , etc, etc....
    And now ?? Have to pray ?
    I think it will be one way to check valves clearance ?? Or try another ECU again ? First I will let my budy ride a good pair of kms

Have you tried using TuneEcu to reset the stepper?
    TPS reset?
    Can also try to increase the idle fuel trim to see if it helps.
    Last edited by deefred; 07-26-2019 at 01:15 AM.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

keep in mind that, at idle, all (100%) of the air that gets into the motor goes thru that stepper motor. You could have a small leak there that will raise the idle, but not allow anywhere near enough air to allow the motor to keep running if you plugged the tubes completely.

Quote Originally Posted by deefred View Post
    Have you tried using TuneEcu to reset the stepper?TPS reset? Can also try to increase the idle fuel trim to see if it helps.
    Thank's Deefred, I reseted TPS twice & next time I get the bike I'll try to play IFT.
    To RAS , I think I'll do/try something with my vacuum gauge to test if all is tight.

with the bike good and hot, spray some contact cleaner or carb cleaner at the points where the stepper hoses mount - both at the IAC and the TBs. If you have any leaks there, the idle will change

I belive this is a software problem. Have been Futura owner for 18 years, and had this problem 4-5 times. Sometimes it just goes away.
    The safe way in my experience is uploading the 05-program and then reset the TPS.
    Read the Tuneecu manual to do the resetting correct.
    Hans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast