Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many are still running MAP 1 with slip-ons?

apriliaforum Junkie
    I've been reading the thread with some curiosity as my bike is running a set of "cored" Aprilia Racing cans, with an adapted DB killer. To be honest, it is pretty snarky below 3500 rpm, and still very loud. Although I believe the bike is running map 2, I decided to try the original (unused) stock pipes..... What a fucking revelation - it's smooth, quiet and runs along merrily at 2500 rpm, no surging or bucking. I think it may be a little softer at the top end, but if it is, the added rideability sure makes up for it. Think I may just keep it this way for while. If it is map 2, what are the consequences of running the stock pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by YVRFACTORY View Post
    I've been reading the thread with some curiosity as my bike is running a set of "cored" Aprilia Racing cans, with an adapted DB killer. To be honest, it is pretty snarky below 3500 rpm, and still very loud. Although I believe the bike is running map 2, I decided to try the original (unused) stock pipes..... What a fucking revelation - it's smooth, quiet and runs along merrily at 2500 rpm, no surging or bucking. I think it may be a little softer at the top end, but if it is, the added rideability sure makes up for it. Think I may just keep it this way for while. If it is map 2, what are the consequences of running the stock pipes?
    No issues brother. I'm running Map-2 all day every day on my stock pipes. It's just a wee bit richer and you'll have no problemos.
    Current: '07 Aprilia Tuono Factory, '07 BMW R1200GS
    Past: '14 Aprilia Tuono V4, '17 KTM RC390, '07 KTM Superduke 990, '07 Husqvarna SM610

apriliaforum expert johnnyjellybean's Avatar
    Actually with any motor that runs on the rich side, the cats will eventually get clogged. There is lots of info out there on this subject.

I must say this..... when I first installed the Delkevic slip ons, I had them without the DB killers and the bike ran great. I then developed a fuel issue which turned out to be a clogged fuel filter. Once that was fixed, I decided to run the bike with the DB killers installed. When I first put them in, the bike was smoking for a few minutes until the short term trims adjusted in MAP1. After a couple of minutes it stopped and the bike is presently running at its best since I got it. I can literally putt along at 2500 rpm and there are no hiccups. Off throttle response is perfect and I have checked the plugs and they look great. It proves that the ECU definitely has enough room in the parameters to run the bike on MAP 1 even with slip ons. There may be some variance with different brands and lengths but I personally am not even considering trying the bike on MAP 2 at this point. Yes, It's poissible I'm leaving a couple or a few peak HP on the table by sticking with MAP1 but that could only be confirmed by comparing the 2 MAPS on a dyno which I am not about to do.

Antarius, If I were you I'd consider trying MAP 1 again. As long as everything else is good.... ie: fuel pressure, vacuum lines etc, your bike should run great on MAP1
    Last edited by johnnyjellybean; 08-10-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVRFACTORY View Post
    If it is map 2, what are the consequences of running the stock pipes?
    The cats will get hot as you have no fuel trimming and will eventually burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post

Antarius, If I were you I'd consider trying MAP 1 again. As long as everything else is good.... ie: fuel pressure, vacuum lines etc, your bike should run great on MAP1
    My bike actually runs great, but the fuel economy just isn't fantastic with Map-2 -- the issue is I can't switch back because my bike also has a Bazzaz Z-FI fuel controller and as such the O2 sensors are removed and plugged -- if I go to Map-1 it'll throw a code. So for now I have a switch on my handlebar that switches from an actual fuel-map on the Bazazz and just standard Map-2. The bazazz map runs a little better than Map-2, but Map-2 gets slightly better fuel economy.

I don't want to remove the system because it has traction control and a quick shifter, all of which is adjustable via a knob on my left handlbar. Pretty nice.

Anyhow, just picked up some Akrapovic Titanium pipes so I'll slap those on tomorrow and see how she does.
    Past: '14 Aprilia Tuono V4, '17 KTM RC390, '07 KTM Superduke 990, '07 Husqvarna SM610

The Akrapovic cans look and sound nice antarius, and aren't to loud without baffle's, according to police in three Australian states.
    I bought my T new with Akra Factory cans and switched to map 2, so I don't know what it would be like stock.
    I only ever put the baffle's in the Akra's for licence checks.

Since fitting an Evo 1 system and Pipewerx cans, the throttle response is a bit snappier, especially off idle and the the bike wants to stand up more coming out of corners.
    The other bonus is the exhaust note now has more bass in it, and that's with baffle's fitted.

Apart from materials and workmanship, the biggest difference between stock and the Evo 1 system is that the outlet on the Evo link pipe is 60mm and 50mm stock.
    I suspect that a stock system with 60mm link pipes and matching cans would give similar gains.

https://www.smaltmoto-shop.de/epages.../SM-APRRSLON60
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slip_on_tubes_RSV_RR.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	386296
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Those are beautiful!! I wish they made those in standard 50mm to fit my stock header and akra non evo slip on!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12