Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Braking

Trail Braking

I took a ride down to the beach yesterday stopped by the water and I met a young guy there . He was on a nice KTM Superduke, we were shooting the shit and the conversation got on trail braking. Now when I go in hot to a curve I always tap the front brake and this guy swore I was wrong, he read this book and that book and was taught the rear brake is the way to go. It was apparent we were going to agree to disagree. So when you guys go in hot which brake do you use to scrub off speed?

Rear brake to turn. Doesn't upset the suspension as much.
    Chris
    What kind of bike is that?
    It's an Aprilia!!!
    Who makes them?
    .......... lets go of clutch lever.

apriliaforum Member
    I personally use combined braking as to not upset the suspension as much but more rear to steer and add control .Each to there own

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm like ferret in entering a corner too hot. Both on as it compresses the forks and the suspension will be set up for the turn. But I back off the front brakes entering the lean into the turn and hold on to the rear brakes to trail brake to the apex. The front tire generates most of the turning traction (70%-80%?) so you lose turning ability if the tire has to stop the bike too. The rear isn't really loaded until coming out of the turn passed the apex.
    I am old school rear brake first rider. Most younger riders are taught to use their front brake as primary and they really don't get a feel for the rear. I brake 90% of the time with the rear brake only as it leaves the front tire loaded slightly and 100% of the front tire's traction to manuvor out of a sudden dangerous situation. The old bikes had drum brakes all around and locking them up happens. A skidding rear tire is a problem, a skidding front tire is an accident.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum Junkie
    Use the front brake to trail brake if I need to. Usually don't need to trail brake much on the street as street speeds won't require trail braking as opposed to track riding. It is crucial if you trail brake using the front is to get back on the throttle as you let off the brake and to do both smoothly.

i never could really manage to add the rear brake input with anything remotely resembling finesse so i stay off it unless surface is super slick or all shit is about to hit the fan.

at peak skill i was front trail braking with success. main thing to be aware of is how much contact patch there is to work with....maybe about the size of a computer mouse?

treat the front brake lever like something more than an on/off switch and it's manageable to continue to scrub speed at the beginning of leaning in, compress the forks to settle the bike, then slowly let off as apex approaches.

little things like this can make up .5 second or more in some corners and be the difference between top ten and top three finish in a race.
    Last edited by matty-matt; 07-13-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Front brake for me.

However, not ham fisting it. Slow modulation and release.

No mistake, I am a front brake guy entering corners, settle suspension and roll it on. However, if I'm "hot" and need a bit more turn, I don't like using the front too much when things are compressed. Just tap the rear a bit and bike comes around putting me back where I wanted to be.
    Chris
    What kind of bike is that?
    It's an Aprilia!!!
    Who makes them?
    .......... lets go of clutch lever.

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    No mistake, I am a front brake guy entering corners, settle suspension and roll it on. However, if I'm "hot" and need a bit more turn, I don't like using the front too much when things are compressed. Just tap the rear a bit and bike comes around putting me back where I wanted to be.
    Copy that.

IMHO youíre addressing the wrong problem. Why are you getting into a corner too hot? What makes you think youíre in too hot anyway?

Let me ask if - when you feel like youíre in too hot - either of the following happens:

- your vision snaps to the area in front of the bike (maybe the outside of the corner which you want to avoid)?
    - you suddenly grip the bars a bit tighter?

Your version of too hot is probably still well within the capabilities of the bike to make the turn.

You donít need to brake so much as look through the corner to where you want to go, do not chop the throttle, relax your grip and mind and the bike will get there.

Then to understand how your approach to corner entry affects all of this in the first place.

If youíre in so hot to be unable to do this then youíve seen what happens to the MotoGP guys: they run wide and sometimes off the track to save the bike. On the street this is stand the bike up and hope you have enough braking room to avoid running off the road (or crossing over to the oncoming lane). Not ideal

S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too late to trail brake once your sliding across the pavement.

So, in my case I would consider it a "Survival Instinct".

Could I have made the corner without braking? Probably.

Just not worth the risk in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
    I brake 90% of the time with the rear brake only as it leaves the front tire loaded slightly and 100% of the front tire's traction to manuvor out of a sudden dangerous situation. The old bikes had drum brakes all around and locking them up happens. A skidding rear tire is a problem, a skidding front tire is an accident.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk
    For any children or impressionable adults reading, please ignore this advice, you'll end up hurt, especially those who ride a gen 2 Tuono.
    seesecurity.com.au

My gen 2 Tuono trailed brake beautifully with the front brake. Kept it's line didn't upset the suspension at all . I know it's common practice to have the bike in the proper speed before entering a corner and I like to ride like this but I'm not afraid to use my brake. If I find my self going too fast I like to be on the brake before I enter the corner and I use the front.

use the front brake for most if not all of your braking. The front has 2 rotors and 2 gigantic calipers. The rear has a tiny rotor and tiny caliper. The rear should NOT be used for all of your braking.

To the OP I still trail brake with the front.
    1. I start braking for the corner.
    2. I “trail” off the brakes until just after the apex
    3. If I need more braking I’m still on the front brakes even if I have started my lean. It doesn’t upset the suspension because I never left off the front brakes.

Front brake is by design the brake you you are supposed to use that’s why it has all the stopping power!. The rear is for finesse. I could see it being helpful in a corner but I don’t use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    The greatest bikes ever made that nobody knows about....

apriliaforum expert craigo298er's Avatar
    I was taught that the front does ~85% of the braking and should be used to its max when vertical. Every angle of lean means less front brake can be used. The rear can be used to tighten a line up, but still you can't stomp on it
    7H3 M345UR3 0F 1N73LL163NC3 15 7H3 481L17Y 70 CH4N63
    4L83R7 31N5731N

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast