Thread: What is my RS-MkI or Mk II?

What is my RS-MkI or Mk II?

I purchased an imported (from Italy, and not imported by me) RS250 Chesterfield a couple of years ago which I have kept in storage since buying. The registration document issued by the DVLA in the UK shows the declared manufacture date of 1999.

Now I will have time to ride it, the parts needed for it to go for an MOT test, such as front and rear brake light switches and front fork seals, so quoted the frame number (starting ZD4LDA) to Fowlers and ordered these parts.

Parts received today butothing fits. The brake light switches are different and the fork seals are 41mm. My forks are 40mm.

It seems that my bike has a Mark 2 frame, but everything else is Mark 1-instruments, forks, bodywork, etc.

So, has someone put on a new frame, or was it built like this at the factory to get use up the Mark 1 parts on the Mark 2 frame? Everything looks like it has aged the same, which makes me think it may have come from the factory like this, or the frame was changed years ago.
    Last edited by whysub; 07-11-2019 at 01:57 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Post some pictures it would be easyer to tell. 1999 would be a Mk2. Unless some one has put a Mk2 frame on a Mk1 because most of it would fit the only difference with the frames is Mk2 the steering lock is in a different position so Mk2 yokes would have to be used.

As you can see, it looks like a mark 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20171218-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	384370

apriliaforum Junkie
    You have mk1 forks so the only difference in the frame mk1 and Mk2 is the steering lock is a different pace. If you have mk1 yokes and the steering lock works then you have a Mk1 fame. 1999 would be a Mk2 but mabe it was registered with the wrong year

apriliaforum Junkie
    Mine is a 1997 but registered in 1998 so quite possible

apriliaforum Member
    Look at your frame/VIN number. To make thing simple, you have letter S in the middle of VIN, that marks production plant. Letter or number before "S" marks year of production.So, if it is X that would be 1999, W =1998, V =1997, etc...After year 2000 there were numbers 1-9, and then letters again (A = 2010..).You can figure some other things from your VIN, but this is what interests you.Simple.Now, you mentioned critical info there - imported from Italy, and that is key to this "accidental" confusion. In those days, and to some extend now, documentation following vehicle is not 100% correct. Just to mention that even today, on MOT it is not mandatory to "register" (read/report/take note) of traveled km for vehicles (so cars also), implications are clear.T.

I spoke to a former Piaggio UK sales rep, and he says that he is 99.99% sure of two important things:

1. The bike came like this from the factory. Aprilia were (and still are) prone to updating bikes during their production run with new model parts when they run out of old ones. Hence mine has Mk2 frame (and presumeably yokes) when they then found somewhere in the factory, a load of everything else Mk1 to bolt to the Mk2 frame.

2. The date of manafacture recorded by DVLA is based on the frame number. However, he cannot be sure when the Mk2 frames were made, just that the Mk2 model was released

He said although it sounds odd, he had visited the Aprilia factory, and said it seemed to be run along the same management lines as British Leylandwhen that they were in their death throes. Except the Italian Government kept giving Aprilia a lifeline by bailing them out financially.

He said that Aprilia updated the stator and wiring on an RSV 1000 model near the end of the production run, but never kept records as to which engine numbers this change affected. Hence if you ordered a replacement for your RSV using the correct part number shown in the parts manual, you could be sent the one that wouldn't fit your bike

apriliaforum Junkie
    Mk1 forks do not fit Mk2 yokes the forks are different diameter. You have mk1 forks so must have mk1 yokes unless you have some sort of spacer around your forks.

apriliaforum Member
    [QUOTE=whysub;4594587]I spoke to a former Piaggio UK sales rep, and he says that he is 99.99% sure of two important things:

/QUOTE]

Hm...

again.
    1. No, in most cases. plenty of reasons, homologation one of those. Chances that you have mk1 model sold as mk2 - are minimal (at the best). Product update during life span of particular model (previously it was like mk1, mk2..., now we are talking about model year 2009, 2015, 2017), are focused on reliability updates, not cosmetics. Legally speaking, every significant update is new model (new frame prefix).
    2. just guessing here, but your particular bike MAY be produced end of year, and sold next year. And, having said that, I would say not possible, since last of mk1 were 1997, and you quote 1999.

In order to (possibly) clear confusion, post here first 11 digits of your VIN, or PM me complete VIN (no promises).

T.

I think this is just normal Mk1, but for some reason it was registered in 1999. Maybe was just sitting in a showroom, was at display etc, nobody wanted to buy it, it had a high price... At some point of import process, registration officer misread the registration documents from origin country and put the info wrongly in their system. I've seen this happen multiple times with imported bikes and cars.

apriliaforum Junkie
    My Tuoldo from Italy have first reg in 2006 and they put it as manufacturing date when I register it.

Wysłane z mojego SNE-LX1 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Tomi-I've sent you the VIN by PM. You will see that the letter before "S" is X, which you say is 1999.

The steering lock does not work, so again, all points to Mk2 frame with everything else Mk1.

And today the speedo drive fell apart, so its definitely an RS!

Thanks all for your replies and opinions-all of which are welcome.

It's just a late registered MK1 surely