Thread: Replacing SS washers and nuts with copper.

apriliaforum expert

Replacing SS washers and nuts with copper.

Not on everything but on those connections where a terminal such as for the wires going to from the solenoid is placed over a SS or nickel plated nut.

I thought about it as I replaced the starter solenoid and looked at how that connection is made. The nice tinned terminal goes over a copper stud and on top of a SS nut. After the terminal it's secured by a wave washer and another SS nut. The terminal only barely touches the stud. So you have this nice thick 4ga wire flowing current through a miniscule contact with the stud while the majority of the contact is through a SS nut.

This is not a big deal but it could be much better. Answer, copper nut, terminal, copper washer and copper self locking but (not the internally plastic threaded type, the flange kind. Now you have a much lower resistance connection which does absolutely nothing in the real world except that it might flow current better, it sure can't be worse. With good sealant, it shouldn't corrode.

This is is totally unnecessary but will be interesting to see if there is any effect.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

Harbor Freight sells a kit with a selection of sizes of copper washers. Metric copper nuts are a little hard to come by in the USA. Copper is not as strong as steel and even though the stud is copper I would see if I could get second copper nut on to act as a jam nut. Finding actual thinner copper jam nuts might be frustrating.
    I have been replacing steel washers for copper on all electrical connections for about ten years now. I use clear nail polish as the sealer or red for positive terminals because it comes in little bottles with a brush cap and nail polish is very good grade of paint. The bright orange I painted the front sight on my S&W M28 357 in 1971 is still there and quite bright still.

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    That is what I was thinking, jam nuts. No kidding about being tough to find. The BMW crowd and some others use them for exhaust manifold because they are so heat tolerant. Those have inside flanges though so they are made for on once take off once and no reuse. I figure I wouldn't be taking the solenoid out and putting it back in, maybe if it fails but otherwise it can sit there.

Hmmm, that Smith is sure a nice one, I bet the trigger is smooth as silk and breaks like glass.
    What do you mean -why do I have 2 ETV Caponords? I also have 2 arms, 2 ears, 2 legs, 2 eyes and 2 butt cheeks, I don't see the problem.

After about the first 10,000 rounds it smoothed up well. I got it in 1970 when they had real craftsmen hand fitting them. When Punta bought them the quality went down.

KB

apriliaforum newb
    Yup, VW 1.9 TDIs have copper exhaust nut on the turbo. Don’t know what size though.
    2002 Capo

apriliaforum expert
    I can find M8s easily but the M6s are.rough to come by. I thought my order had the right size (M6), so goes. I might end up just making them up, I only need two. I mean what good is doing something if you can't take something small and turn it into a major project with questionable real world benefits?

Because we're men, right?

KB

apriliaforum expert
    Darn right. What is " the boys" nonsense I hear once in a while?

In days gone bye they used to be brass, better conductivity than steel/stainless steel, more durable than copper. Also exhaust manifold nuts, always brass or copper plated steel.
    seesecurity.com.au

Brass has more resistance than pure copper. Copper is softer hence the desire to use a jam nut on top. Copper is slightly more tolerant of thermal cycling than brass also.

KB