Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck on a new bike choice

apriliaforum newb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3923.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	384524
    its strange to think i was not alone in the Ducati vs Aprilia decision. i was set on the V4s and had test driven it twice, i loved it. the look, the power and the prestige of owning one. i was also looking at the new BMW and the R1M. the local Yamaha dealership said a FLAT NO to a test drive so that put that one out of the running. i test drove the BMW and like it but not as much as the V4. when i was told no at the Yamaha place on the way home, AF1 was on the way. i went in having never thought of Aprilia in the running until i visited the dealership. they had no qualms about letting me have a 25K bike to test drive. even before i test drove it, i was given a tour of the entire dealership. i was made to feel like i was the important part of the decision. i even told the salesman that Ducati was my first choice and he did his best to show me what Aprilia had to offer. for me it had to be the 1100 RSV4 Factory. i took my time in the process and it took me about 3-4 months to actually decide. i had a 2001 996 and i loved that bike more than anything. when the V4 came out it was the same love all over again. from the first test drive it was awesome. i loved how when you gave the throttle a twist it just went like a rocket ship without loosing control, it felt amazing on it. but for me put against the RSV4 it couldn't compare. the V4S was going to set me back 30k. it may or may not have been hampered by recalls but i did not want to take that chance. again, for me the famous "heat" was an issue that i could not overlook. i was not treated as well as i could have at the Ducati dealership partly because i didn't drive up a Ferrari and have the wealthy look. The Aprlilia was very compareable to the Ducati. it was 3k less and i would have to spend extras getting it where i wanted. the quality just seemed better in the plastics and just nuts and bolts and it was a proven V4 design that had all the kinks worked out as the design is 10 years old. the only thing i didn't like was that i couldn't get it in red. it already had spools for the rear track stand. it has an Akra exhaust (yes its stock) but Akra titanium none the less. all that along with how i was treated at the dealership was what sold me. plus at the dealership when i purchased, you get 15% of parts and no labor to put them on which gave me the ability to have almost everything i wanted on it and still only pay just a tad aver 27k. Ducati just couldn't beat that. i have had my RVS4 1100 factory for 3 weeks and its the Bike for me. every time i go into my garage i just have to stop and look at how amazing it is and that it sits in my garage. if money wasn't a factor id have a V4 but i don't regret my decision at all. AF1 made sure of that. get what you want and think youll be happy with but for me the Aprilia won the battle.
    Last edited by cmdrmaxwell; 07-15-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding pics

apriliaforum Member
    Is it just me or someone might have a similar thought that:
    I would personally compare V4R to RSV4 RF(1000cc) for more track fun with higher rev, V4s to RSV4 1100 Factory for more street sprint.

As you know I have already sat in Ape camp with the 1000cc RF, while always tempted to V4R, never pull the trigger(yet)

apriliaforum newb
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryDbQBBVJIg&t=1097s
    not the 19 rsv4 but great review.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrmaxwell View Post

Congrats on your new Aprilia!

Although I lust after the Panigale V4 S Corse (mostly for the livery) ;I just can't pony up $30,000 for it. Especially after I add the Akra slip on for another $5000!

Until then I'll just have to keep my clapped out 17 Rf. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrmaxwell View Post

its strange to think i was not alone in the Ducati vs Aprilia decision. i was set on the V4s and had test driven it twice, i loved it. the look, the power and the prestige of owning one. i was also looking at the new BMW and the R1M. the local Yamaha dealership said a FLAT NO to a test drive so that put that one out of the running. i test drove the BMW and like it but not as much as the V4. when i was told no at the Yamaha place on the way home, AF1 was on the way. i went in having never thought of Aprilia in the running until i visited the dealership. they had no qualms about letting me have a 25K bike to test drive. even before i test drove it, i was given a tour of the entire dealership. i was made to feel like i was the important part of the decision. i even told the salesman that Ducati was my first choice and he did his best to show me what Aprilia had to offer. for me it had to be the 1100 RSV4 Factory. i took my time in the process and it took me about 3-4 months to actually decide. i had a 2001 996 and i loved that bike more than anything. when the V4 came out it was the same love all over again. from the first test drive it was awesome. i loved how when you gave the throttle a twist it just went like a rocket ship without loosing control, it felt amazing on it. but for me put against the RSV4 it couldn't compare. the V4S was going to set me back 30k. it may or may not have been hampered by recalls but i did not want to take that chance. again, for me the famous "heat" was an issue that i could not overlook. i was not treated as well as i could have at the Ducati dealership partly because i didn't drive up a Ferrari and have the wealthy look. The Aprlilia was very compareable to the Ducati. it was 3k less and i would have to spend extras getting it where i wanted. the quality just seemed better in the plastics and just nuts and bolts and it was a proven V4 design that had all the kinks worked out as the design is 10 years old. the only thing i didn't like was that i couldn't get it in red. it already had spools for the rear track stand. it has an Akra exhaust (yes its stock) but Akra titanium none the less. all that along with how i was treated at the dealership was what sold me. plus at the dealership when i purchased, you get 15% of parts and no labor to put them on which gave me the ability to have almost everything i wanted on it and still only pay just a tad aver 27k. Ducati just couldn't beat that. i have had my RVS4 1100 factory for 3 weeks and its the Bike for me. every time i go into my garage i just have to stop and look at how amazing it is and that it sits in my garage. if money wasn't a factor id have a V4 but i don't regret my decision at all. AF1 made sure of that. get what you want and think youll be happy with but for me the Aprilia won the battle.

It's funny that you've chimed in as I'm almost certain I saw your bike up on the lift at the dealership with the paper plate. I live near Cedar Park area, as you've said overall the vibe I get at AF1 is your treated more like family and not like a money bag in a suit. I demoed both and overall the choice for me is still hard but the aprilia still has so many positives going for it including the dealership it's undoubtedly hard to say now. I've wanted a aprilia ever since the old mille. Most brands will try to sell you on exclusivity but in truth in larger cities you're definitely not going to be the only one lol.
    Overall though I feel like the aprilia is the safer bet.

However some of my reservations are : Let's say in 2 years I may transition to something else so resale is a factor and aprilia seems to have a smaller market, therefore less value holding. The previous units with the spring issues, though I'm sure this has been rectified. However I'm always on top of keeping the maintenance schedule. I know the desmo system while costly service if you add them up for mileage intervals overall they are roughly the same in total cost.

The big negatives hold me away from the Ducati are parts tend to run higher and the exhaust is astronomical. Also the heat issue but I try to avoid riding in 90+ weather anymore only in the evenings if that's the case. Also the kick stand is a pain in the ass lol.

In the end I feel its a tough call as I'm looking at 25k + fees on the duc and 24K + fees on the aprilia. So price wise not that far off, but back to brooding I go!
    Last edited by Vengure; 07-15-2019 at 09:07 PM.

You're in Austin......... as is the premier Ape dealer on the planet.

Questions?
    JD

Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme_Coke View Post
    Is it just me or someone might have a similar thought that:
    I would personally compare V4R to RSV4 RF(1000cc) for more track fun with higher rev, V4s to RSV4 1100 Factory for more street sprint.

As you know I have already sat in Ape camp with the 1000cc RF, while always tempted to V4R, never pull the trigger(yet)
    I would agree that's a better comparison but I do like how MCN stated that the new RSV4 Factory lapped mugello faster than the v4r as more of a poke to the eye lol.
    One of the locals has a V4r and said its probably the bike he's owned that he likes the least.

apriliaforum Member
    I had a RSV4 prior to trading it in for a 1299 Panigale. Arguably, the Ducati is the prettier bike and comes with the theatre you would expect; but it is flawed and those flaws only really become apparent after spending a lot of time with the bike. The 1299 was/is horrible at town speeds, it bogs down and fights you all the way, increasing the uncomfortable nature of these sports bikes and this becomes tiring after a while. The heat in the summer generated by the underseat piping can at times be agony and can impede the enjoyment of the ride.
    Granted, we're now talking about a different bike in many respects, but I test rode the Ducati V4 and whilst it was a beautiful bike to ride, it still has the characteristic flaws mentioned above.
    The Aprilia gives the impression of a more polished and developed machine - it's easier to ride at low speeds and the sound and the feel of the engine is in my opinion better. The chassis is sublime and for mere mortals like us, gives more confidence to push harder. I don't think the new bike is as attractive as the Ducati and I'm surprised Aprilia haven't given it a fresh makeover in that respect, but as a piece of engineering brilliance, I don't think you can look past it.
    I had the chance to upgrade to the new V4 and despite being massively tempted, almost by the looks alone, I've gone back to the Aprilia - it's just too good.

apriliaforum expert
    Just too good....and what’s not being brought up enough in my opinion is the RSV4 is the best sounding bike on the road with only a Desmosedici being possibly better(possibly).
    The new road going v4 Ducs just don’t compare.

apriliaforum Member Toastynacho's Avatar
    I get a vibe that some people think Aprilia is second to the Ducati. When it really is the other way. The only place the Ducati excells is power and in a straight line, but on a track the aprilia nearly slaps the ducati, particularly from a stability standpoint. The only real reason id consider a ducati, is if i wanted more dealer support. You made a good choice.

apriliaforum Member
    I've never ridden the duke or the BMW but my RSV4 is the best bike ive ever ridden on but the V4S hits me right in the groin everytime i see it. I even like the look of the new BMW and it really intrigues me to experience that engine especially as its still only 1000cc.

I feel the fact Aprilia have never done a major uplift in appearance in 10 years effects people coming to aprilia. I was really hoping that they would provide and new gob smacking bike like the first time i saw the RSV4 at the NEC this year on its 10th anniversary.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by marc.r1 View Post
    I've never ridden the duke or the BMW but my RSV4 is the best bike ive ever ridden on but the V4S hits me right in the groin everytime i see it. I even like the look of the new BMW and it really intrigues me to experience that engine especially as its still only 1000cc.

I feel the fact Aprilia have never done a major uplift in appearance in 10 years effects people coming to aprilia. I was really hoping that they would provide and new gob smacking bike like the first time i saw the RSV4 at the NEC this year on its 10th anniversary.
    People didn’t come to Aprilia in 2009/10 either when the looks were new.
    Bottom line...9 out of 10 cats won’t choose Aprilia when throwing down hard earned/loan on a new machine.

apriliaforum Member
    I just took delivery of a 2019 RSV4 Factory on Saturday. This is my ninth Aprilia and my third RSV4 Factory. I have never ridden a bike that fit me and my riding style as well as the RSV4. I'm in the motorcycle business and when Ducati came out with the Panigale it was love at first sight. We took one in on trade in 2014 and I was pretty much convinced I was going to buy it but, after a spirited ride I couldn't wait to get back on my Aprilia. The trans felt sloppy, the vibration was excessive and it was like riding an oven. The back of my right thigh was best red through my leathers. The BMW is pretty impressive but lacks character after you have gotten used to riding a V4. I haven't really had a chance to put my 1100 through the paces yet but it feels much smoother than my 2012 and pulls like a freight train. If you buy the Aprilia your bike will spend much less time in the shop than the Duc and parts are generally less expensive. Not to mention the bike is three grand less to start with.
    2007 Mille Factory
    2007 KTM 450 XCW
    2003 Tuono Race

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmoon61 View Post
    I just took delivery of a 2019 RSV4 Factory on Saturday. This is my ninth Aprilia and my third RSV4 Factory. I have never ridden a bike that fit me and my riding style as well as the RSV4. I'm in the motorcycle business and when Ducati came out with the Panigale it was love at first sight. We took one in on trade in 2014 and I was pretty much convinced I was going to buy it but, after a spirited ride I couldn't wait to get back on my Aprilia. The trans felt sloppy, the vibration was excessive and it was like riding an oven. The back of my right thigh was best red through my leathers. The BMW is pretty impressive but lacks character after you have gotten used to riding a V4. I haven't really had a chance to put my 1100 through the paces yet but it feels much smoother than my 2012 and pulls like a freight train. If you buy the Aprilia your bike will spend much less time in the shop than the Duc and parts are generally less expensive. Not to mention the bike is three grand less to start with.
    I totally agree with this. I have one of the old, obsolete underpowered 2015's but I cannot think of any other liter bike I would trade it for other than a a new RSV4. I certainly wouldn't pay someone way over twenty thousand dollars to ride a portable microwave oven.

Just wanted to let everyone know I put my deposit down on the 2019 RSV4 1100 Factory today and pick up the bike next week. While I was very close to choosing the Ducati. I just couldn't deal with the idea of the heat, along with the costs of parts to mod the bike in the way I do all my bikes. The sound of the RSV4 is just glorious and even though she's a little old and fat, so am I lol. But truthfully I look forward to some good rides and great ownership experience with AF1 in my area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast