Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 Riders dead in So Cal. 2 bikes collide.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by CapoEVT View Post
    Turns out one rider with a passenger tried to pass a car by going over the solid yellow and hit the other bike head on. There was a passenger on that bike too, all dead.

Maybe it's a California thing but crossing over solid painted dividers to pass cars and trucks is a thing here.
    Some simply consider it part of their right to engage in "Lane Splitting". If you take anything to an extreme it eventually does not turn out well for you and unfortunately you many times share that outcome with others making them your victims.

You do end up having the deal with the bad that comes along with the good side of any policy.

Quote Originally Posted by CapoEVT View Post
    That thing about being illegal doesn't mean it's not safe doesn't seem right. Id bet that most motorcyclists killed by car drivers are dead because the car driver thought what they were doing was safe and following the rules of the road didn't apply, they knew better. I doubt most collisions happen because everyone was following the rules or laws.
    You are thoroughly twisting his words, and if you aren't doing it on purpose it would explain why you don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Some simply consider it part of their right to engage in "Lane Splitting". If you take anything to an extreme it eventually does not turn out well for you and unfortunately you many times share that outcome with others making them your victims.

You do end up having the deal with the bad that comes along with the good side of any policy.
    i don’t see what crossing a double yellow line in the middle of a corner has to do with lane splitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    The greatest bikes ever made that nobody knows about....

This crash sounds like judgment failure on the part of one of the riders.
    That being said, another CA thing is that the hyper greenie Pious drivers in charge of the state are trying to make the pleasure of motoring against the law. They want us to drive electric cars at 20 mph everywhere, wearing Birkenstocks. To this end the state has been on an aggressive program to paint continuous double yellows on all two lane roads making it illegal to pass on the entire highway, even where it safe - and where there have been passing zones for decades. If you strictly obey the law you can be stuck behind a motor home for 50 miles.
    We ride high power sporting motorcycles for a reason, and it's not to be stuck behind slow traffic till dooms day.
    As usual, there is more than one side to the story.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

apriliaforum expert
    If it was a car driver who did this there would be outrage here. Now there is lane splitting, electric cars and too many solid painted lines, none of which had anything to do with this. Everyone has their own idea of what safe is and almost everyone fudges on some of the rules or laws. When you think the roads are your race track, that is unacceptable.and it doesn't matter if you have a turbo hyabusa or a Dodge hellcat.

Just ride safe out there and don't think it's only bad car drivers we need to be aware of, it's everyone.
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 07-11-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

Again you are twisting what he said.

Let me ask you a question. If you were out in the desert with an air temp of 70F (21C) during a clear day, no bugs, on a straight very nicely paved debris free road where you could see for many miles, there is no one on the road other than you, no animals crossing the road, your bikes is fully tuned in proper shape with new scrubbed in tires, you are wearing the proper gear, you have not been boozing/smoking pot/etc, there is no virus, illness, chemical, or condition impairing your judgement or senses, and the speed limit is 45mphwould you feel safe breaking the law by riding at 45.1mph?

And to address this from your latest post: California has always considered lane sharing legal. This is not a "new" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE View Post
    This crash sounds like judgment failure on the part of one of the riders.
    From what it sounds like the North bound rider that caused the collision had been boozing it up at Cook's. If this is the case it just goes to illustrate how dangerous it is to drink and ride. Even one beer is enough to effect your judgement. That's enough to cause someone to die. I'm sure there are plenty here that can rationalize how they can have one beer and ride, but really that's a totally irresponsible position. If you (in the general sense) want to booze then do it without a bike. It really is that simple.

I should also point out that booze isn't the only mental influencer to negatively effect your judgement. I know a guy that regularly gets into verbal fights with his wife, gets into, or on a vehicle, and causes a collision. That's just as bad as boozing it up. If your head isn't on straight then stay off the bike. Period.

Combining drinking with riding is the very definition of bad judgement.
    A finish is a win! Moderation is the key! More wine!
    And never lend a faggot your hat

Proud Member of Team Punisher and The Texas Mile 200 MPH club
    Motorcycles are not just fun toys. They are a catalyst for the enjoyment of life. - NaimChase
    When you ride a bike that tries to crawl out from underneath you at 150MPH with a slight twist you know you're on the right path. - TRexRacing

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post

Let me ask you a question. If you were out in the desert with an air temp of 70F (21C) during a clear day, no bugs, on a straight very nicely paved debris free road where you could see for many miles, there is no one on the road other than you, no animals crossing the road, your bikes is fully tuned in proper shape with new scrubbed in tires, you are wearing the proper gear, you have not been boozing/smoking pot/etc, there is no virus, illness, chemical, or condition impairing your judgement or senses, and the speed limit is 45mph—would you feel safe breaking the law by riding at 45.1mph?

And to address this from your latest post: California has always considered lane sharing legal. This is not a "new" thing.
    I'm not twisting anything. 4 people are dead.

"Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it isn't safe"

Maybe use that. My speedometer doesn't read in 10ths and this isn't about some isolated road where you are the only.one on it, you can see miles and the world is perfect. This was a traveled road, the rider was passing and crossed into oncoming traffic. That isn't lane sharing, splitting or anything else. It's vehicular manslaughter. I'm not going to argue about the virtues of 200hp bikes and those who think buying them justifies their use of the roads as personal raceways.

Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post

Let me ask you a question. If you were out in the desert with an air temp of 70F (21C) during a clear day, no bugs, on a straight very nicely paved debris free road where you could see for many miles, there is no one on the road other than you, no animals crossing the road, your bikes is fully tuned in proper shape with new scrubbed in tires, you are wearing the proper gear, you have not been boozing/smoking pot/etc, there is no virus, illness, chemical, or condition impairing your judgement or senses, and the speed limit is 45mphwould you feel safe breaking the law by riding at 45.1mph?

Nobody on his forum endorses or even turns a blind eye to drinking and riding. Nobody.
    Lane sharing is quite different from lane splitting. In Washington State we can share but not split. We are trying to change that. But if you suppose the south bound couple had been paired up with friends on another bike and they were lane sharing the death toll could have been six.
    My commute is on the nightmare that is the I-5 corridor south out of Seattle and I cross four lanes of traffic in one sweep often. But it is clear and I make haste in doing it. Is it risky? Probably. But I think I am as safe as I can be doing it. Not for everyone but risk is a choice. The North bound rider chose his risk. But three other innocent people paid a horrible price....

KB

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I speed. I pass on double yellow lines. I've even been known to use my horn when it isn't an emergency.

However, I do so taking into account what my actions might cause, both to myself and others.

I like to think of myself as an offensive/defensive rider as opposed to a defensive rider which we are all taught to be.

I've seen more wrecks caused by a group of cages holding up traffic or clogging the passing lanes than anything else.

I try to navigate through and/or around them as safely and quickly as possible.

Some may agree with me some may not.

That's just me though...............

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    it's sad that people died on motorcycles. rip.
    i ride a lot. i don't drive because it's not something i choose to do so in the sf bay area. i have a nice gas guzzling german suv for the dog.

without a trip to the store my commute is 22,000 miles per year. down 11k from 33k the last 4 years. all inside the bay area. i typically split lanes 40 miles every weekday afternoon. no need in the morning as i get in to work at 5:30ish. as you can imagine i've seen just about every type of distracted driving there is. you learn to see it before you get there. i've been bounced between a tech bus and a corolla. knocked down by a mustang. a near miss or close call every day really. on weekdays people are traveling to work even when distracted driving. commuters have a very slight edge over weekend drivers probably based on doing it often and muscle memory. on weekends like when these folks crashed the vehicle operators are generally doing something they may not have much experience doing. i'm more than happy to stay home on the weekend. i can always get a cool ride in on some occasional week day.
    Last edited by dadsafrantic; 07-13-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: a doh moment
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12