Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To Capo or not to capo

apriliaforum Member FuturaWales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_toe_cutter View Post
    Fut, fyi I'm 5 11 with 32 inch leg with just a shade over stock seat height. Any more it would be an inevitability that shes get dropped paddling around or pulling up on a bad camber. Sat on a raid once, they're lofty. Just an fyi.
    Appreciated, we're not miles apart.
    I'm 6ft 1, still around a 32-33 inseam.
    Worth me thinking about....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    2003 Caponord ETV 1000 Rally Raid
    Formerly owner of a specced out Futura....sorely missed.

I think Si Evans "Raid" is Raid only in paint scheme and being a MK2, so don't expect the beefed up frame and suspension which would come with a genuine Raid. Don't take my word for it though, check with Si himself if you are in discussion with him.
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord
    NC705X DCT - The Blue Toad
    Honda PCX125 - White Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by nerald View Post
    I think Si Evans "Raid" is Raid only in paint scheme and being a MK2, so don't expect the beefed up frame and suspension which would come with a genuine Raid. Don't take my word for it though, check with Si himself if you are in discussion with him.
    You're correct, and also, hes not selling it.

apriliaforum expert the_toe_cutter's Avatar
    Hey Nerald, wow never knew the frame was different!
    Brum Brum

Quote Originally Posted by the_toe_cutter View Post
    Hey Nerald, wow never knew the frame was different!
    More bracing round swing arm and headstock

Quote Originally Posted by FuturaWales View Post
    You're correct, and also, hes not selling it.

Yes and I remember now it is a MK1 and I think it was Chrisonords bike - the bike of many a woe but well sorted now!!
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord

Yes and I remember now it is a MK1 and I think it was Chrisonords bike - the bike of many a woe but well sorted now!!
    Lol the very beastie is it! Fair dues, i remember the angered woe he used to heap on her haha would take a man of means to iron out that saga
    Brum Brum

capo is awesome if you know how to deal with its little issues. if you are from futura tribe I'm assuming you familiar with it.
    regarding 1050\1200 - way more boring engine, a bit worse wind protection but especially good suspension. also I like how capo handling better that gs. regarding engine - rotax way more reliable then boxers.
    any way - both bikes are awesome you will no miss if you choose any of them
    pegaso cube 1998 -> etv 1000 2006

Went to see a localish Capo last night. Sadly wasnt for me. Was just too rough, needed lots of little things seeing to and gave me a bad vibe. So I had to walk away and waste the 3 hour round trip coming away empty handed. Rather that than buying a turd project bike that I throw crazy money and time at for no reason though.

Tony's is still the preference, but can't get to Norwich yet. Will hopefully still be around when I can get there, but knowing my luck it will be gone.

What is it with these bikes and their silly clocks.
    Never had a problem with my Futura dash, but both the Capos I've seen so far have had dodgy clocks

Went to see a localish Capo last night. Sadly wasnt for me. Was just too rough, needed lots of little things seeing to and gave me a bad vibe. So I had to walk away and waste the 3 hour round trip coming away empty handed. Rather that than buying a turd project bike that I throw crazy money and time at for no reason though.

Tony's is still the preference, but can't get to Norwich yet. Will hopefully still be around when I can get there, but knowing my luck it will be gone.

Never had a problem with my Futura dash, but both the Capos I've seen so far have had dodgy clocks

Its the reason why 25% of capo and futs end up for sale, at least over here lol.
    It's not insurmountable
    Buy Tonys, that is all.
    Brum Brum

I truly believe the clocks are killed by bad earthing on the bike. My clocks went when I had starting issues which were resolved by cleaning the all the contacts in the starter motor circuitry (and eventually a new starter motor - Several years and 30,000 miles later). Pressing start on the bike world fire the starter but not quick enough to actually turn the engine over, this initially happened at a fuel station in Fort Augustus, we had to strip and clean the connections to get the bike to turn over and start. When it started the clocks were toast. I finished the trip using my phone as a speedometer.
    When I got home I fitted extra earths and found the clocks had blown a couple of circuit board tracks, possibly due to the starter taking any earth available to it. So the clocks probably aren't to blame just poor conductivity of other electrical components.
    08 ETV 1000 Caponord

I truly believe the clocks are killed by bad earthing on the bike. My clocks went when I had starting issues which were resolved by cleaning the all the contacts in the starter motor circuitry (and eventually a new starter motor - Several years and 30,000 miles later). Pressing start on the bike world fire the starter but not quick enough to actually turn the engine over, this initially happened at a fuel station in Fort Augustus, we had to strip and clean the connections to get the bike to turn over and start. When it started the clocks were toast. I finished the trip using my phone as a speedometer.
    When I got home I fitted extra earths and found the clocks had blown a couple of circuit board tracks, possibly due to the starter taking any earth available to it. So the clocks probably aren't to blame just poor conductivity of other electrical components.
    Is it possible/plausible have a separate earth for the clocks?
    Brum Brum

apriliaforum expert
    You could add another ground for the gauges but it's probably easier to add the extra ground on the front right side of the cylinder. KB made an excellent post about it:
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ghlight=Ground

The ground to the gauges would be a rather thin wire so anything else finding it's way there would likely do what your surmise happened. You'd have to run that ground for the gauges down to the engine. To get crazy about it you could put a floating ground in just for the guages, a nice chunk of solid copper of sufficient size to dissipate the current as heat. It gets complicated with no benefit over adding a better ground close to or for the starter.
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 07-11-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    ETV stands for Extra-Terrestrial Vehicle. The only thing better than having one is having two.

So the decision has been made and maybe I'm mad, but I've gone with Mawse's Rally Raid and I'm collecting it tomorrow!

There's no doubting how well looked after and probably perfect Tony's Grey capo is, but for some reason it just didn't do it for me in the same way that the RR does. It took a lot of mulling over to ask myself what I really wanted from this bike.
    I must be a weirdo, because i know many people dislike the colour scheme.....but I like this kind of odd stuff. Plus, the added goodies (despite the fact I know they can be bettered with aftermarket stuff) are appealing, as is the increased ride height and seat height without having to change anything straight off.

I've got some initial plans for personalising it that may or may not come to fruition quickly, but for the most part it should be ready to go.
    I hope someone else here get's the pleasure of buying Tony's though, as it's was a very close toss up between the two and if anything, I've gone against the sensible option in favour of my gut.
    Regardless, I'm looking forward to riding it home tomorrow!

Congrats man! Pics when she lands home and book into the capo doo!
    Brum Brum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast