Thread: 2009 Sport City 250 rear tire removal HELP

apriliaforum newb

2009 Sport City 250 rear tire removal HELP

Need to change rear tire but "swing arm" casing will not just slide off the wheel axle. What specific tool or method would be of assistance the get the swing arm off and the wheel out?

apriliaforum expert
    Rubber mallet and a few gentle taps is all I've ever needed. You do have to release the brake caliper first, remove the muffler, remove the axle nut and then remove all the fasteners holding the swing arm extension to the motor. It can get galled into place especially if ridden on roads that have road salt residue or see coastal flooding in which case the axle shaft and some other areas may require some PBlaster to be applied and allowed to soak in overnight. WD40 is not a substitute as its for displacing water and light cleaning not for freeing parts that are rusted or galled together.

You usually will have to work it off a fraction of an inch at a time by tapping and pulling alternately on each end.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Rubber mallet and a few gentle taps is all I've ever needed. You do have to release the brake caliper first, remove the muffler, remove the axle nut and then remove all the fasteners holding the swing arm extension to the motor. It can get galled into place especially if ridden on roads that have road salt residue or see coastal flooding in which case the axle shaft and some other areas may require some PBlaster to be applied and allowed to soak in overnight. WD40 is not a substitute as its for displacing water and light cleaning not for freeing parts that are rusted or galled together.

You usually will have to work it off a fraction of an inch at a time by tapping and pulling alternately on each end.
    First of all, thank you for the tips.

Made it sound easy, though this seems to be a very a pesky axle & bearing, it would just not come off. So I borrowed a 2 jaw gear puller, one where the jaws can slide in or out at the top, in my case to offset the center. Still would not come off. I brought in my tire guy who works on the race circuit on weekends, he'd has a bit more muscle. I took some doing but all of a sudden, pop and off she came.

I bought the Sportcity still in the crate 8 years ago, not a lot of miles on it now and always garaged. But that does not mean much if the rear wheel never comes off for ten years. We had rust spots on the axle which were sanded off with a fie paper, polished with 1500, a bit of anti-seize on it and all is good.
    Last edited by skifast; 07-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Some times you do have to plan ahead and apply the PBlast well ahead of time. Thing is that tires get too slippery to be safe for motorcycle use after a few years so technically should not be on a bike for over 3 years unless its a museum piece or in storage not being ridden.

Be careful to use the correct anti-seize formulated for parts that contain aluminum so you do not get a corrosive reaction that could make things worse.

Glad you got it off and hopefully next time a puller won't be required. Finesse is always preferable to going Gorilla.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skifast View Post
    I bought the Sportcity still in the crate 8 years ago, not a lot of miles on it now and always garaged. But that does not mean much if the rear wheel never comes off for ten years. We had rust spots on the axle which were sanded off with a fie paper, polished with 1500, a bit of anti-seize on it and all is good.
    Im a 1/2 mile from the ocean. Ive never had any issues pulling the rears off a Vespa or Sportcity... Probably have done over 30 of them.
    I cant believe you put any miles on the stock tires...those things are horrid & scary. What tire did you get as a replacement?

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    Im a 1/2 mile from the ocean. Ive never had any issues pulling the rears off a Vespa or Sportcity... Probably have done over 30 of them.
    I cant believe you put any miles on the stock tires...those things are horrid & scary. What tire did you get as a replacement?

Michelin Power Pure SC, not too many tires made for the Sportcity 250

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Some times you do have to plan ahead and apply the PBlast well ahead of time. Thing is that tires get too slippery to be safe for motorcycle use after a few years so technically should not be on a bike for over 3 years unless its a museum piece or in storage not being ridden.

Be careful to use the correct anti-seize formulated for parts that contain aluminum so you do not get a corrosive reaction that could make things worse.

Glad you got it off and hopefully next time a puller won't be required. Finesse is always preferable to going Gorilla.

..huh, you are absolutely correct about tire age. I just never gave it much thought because I just use the machine around home, going to town and back 8 to 10 miles. I did have my share of fast two wheelers in my life and really ought to know better.
    The sport city is actually fun to drive, though I realized that these tires did no quite perform up to standards any longer. Most of all I noticed sidewall cracks just above the rim and decided to park it until the new rubber arrived. Wow, what a difference now, I can even hang off the side just a bit up here on the curvy New Hampshire roads.

In any case, getting back to rear wheel removal; it would have to be part of routine maintenance to take the rear wheel off at a very maximum three year interval. Then this would not happen.