Thread: Fuel line blowing off

apriliaforum prov-nov Being_a_Racer's Avatar

Fuel line blowing off

Morning gents.

I've starting to have a recurring problem with my fuel line blowing off the pump in the tank. Last summer i replaced the filter, and both hoses. I bought the AF1 kit to fix the small hose that sits between the plate and filter, and some submersible fuel hose to replace the rough looking corrugated OE one. I'm also using the clamps that AF1 sells. Last summer i had no problems, but about 3 weeks ago the bike popped the line while i was riding and left me stranded. I pulled it apart, got a new clamp and really tightened the nuts off of it. Yesterday i go to start it in my garage and boom, same thing. Line came off the pump.

Has anyone ever had this as a recurring issue? I've looked at past posts and there seems to be two camps on what type of clamp to use (Oetiker V Screw). People seem to have success with either. The barb on the end of the pump doesn't have much of an edge to it. I thought of taking a file and trying to make more of an edge so the hose and clamp have more to bite on.

Suggestions are welcome.
    Gen2 Tuono 1000R
    MIVV Ti Exhaust | Map 2 | Airbox mod | Vortex Clipons | Pazzo Shorties | Racetech Cartridges | hilns Shock | Carbon Bodywork

`01 SV650S Trackbike | '82 Yamaha XV920J Cafe project
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '05 GSX600F | '95 ZX-7 | '01 TL1000R | '10 R1 | '04 ZX-6R | '97 VFR750 | '03 SV1000 | '16 Street Bob | '05 XVS1100

apriliaforum Member
    I've had excellent luck with Oetiker clamps. Some use the "high pressure" style found (for example) here:

https://www.belmetric.com/stainless-...c-15_142_1238/

No problem here with both standard, and high pressure type clamps on the lower hose. Last few rounds I've used some BMW (submersible) 13mm OD fuel line, but the factory short hose also works. I use the corrugated hose, also with Oetiker clamps. (I suggest buying the correct tool--often found slightly used and inexpensive on ebay.)

When tightening the clamp around the lower hose to the fuel pump flange, short of gorilla strength, you shouldn't be able to twist the hose on the fitting. Intuitively, it might seem as if the clamp is just slightly too tight around the hose. I have never had a lower hose blow off, though I did once mistakenly end up with the corrugated hose too close to the level sensor rod--once the hose swelled a bit, the rod wore through the hose, leaving me stuck (fortunately!) just a few miles from home.

Edit: The Oetiker clamp is sized correctly when it slips over the hose without compressing it, albeit with some friction. The clamp should then expand somewhat as the hose is pushed onto the barb/fitting.
    Last edited by Leone; 07-05-2019 at 12:07 AM.

apriliaforum prov-nov Being_a_Racer's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up finding some much better clamps at a local hydraulic shop. I'm a lot more confident in these than the ones i picked up from Napa. I also bought a fuel resistant endoscope. I always wanted to have one, but now every so often i can poke it into the tank to check the condition of the hoses.
    Gen2 Tuono 1000R
    MIVV Ti Exhaust | Map 2 | Airbox mod | Vortex Clipons | Pazzo Shorties | Racetech Cartridges | hilns Shock | Carbon Bodywork

`01 SV650S Trackbike | '82 Yamaha XV920J Cafe project
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '05 GSX600F | '95 ZX-7 | '01 TL1000R | '10 R1 | '04 ZX-6R | '97 VFR750 | '03 SV1000 | '16 Street Bob | '05 XVS1100