Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Starter Motors - Beware

apriliaforum expert
    There is the whole "It's a race bike with lights" thing, which is very true in this case...

It was designed to be a light as possible, so things like starter motors are designed to just be capable and as light as possible...

It is an Aprilia/Piaggio problem as I would expect that AF1 purchase the starters from the OEM...

I would rather pay twice the cost for a quality part that lasts, then half the price but have to buy three of them over the same life span...

Some people are short term thinkers and only want to pay the smallest amount possible without looking at the bigger long term picture, and suppliers in a way have to satisfy those people to ensure sales...
    Last edited by S4R; 07-05-2019 at 08:31 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Due to the fact that the commutators are different sizes I can't just swap the rotor from a genuine to a non genuine to prove the windings are the issue...

I am now going to look at the cost of repairing original starter against the cost of the WR Starter mod...

Eventually I will need another starter and I won't be buying one from any of the Aprilia suppliers...

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    It kinda blows my mind that we are talking bad OEM starters on a bike built in the late 2000, early 2010's. Shame on you Aprilia....
    after reading through the thread yesterday i checked the starters i bought from aprilia superstore and sure enough they are not mitsuba starters ,gutted ,i've wondered why the bike not been starting good so i checked the other bike and it has a mitsuba starter so i tried that on the bike and frapp up it did straight away shame on you aprilia ill look for mitsuba in the future

apriliaforum expert
    Someone decided that Mitsuba were to expensive so went the cheap Chinese route is my guess...

Then we the consumers get sold a product that is not fit for purpose and the retailers cover their arse with a non return clause...

If in fact Aprilia has switched to selling inferior Chinese parts, it surely is a sad day. It would be nice to have some dealer / distributor confirmation on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by S4R View Post
    Someone decided that Mitsuba were to expensive so went the cheap Chinese route is my guess...

Then we the consumers get sold a product that is not fit for purpose and the retailers cover their arse with a non return clause...
    wheeew....seems pretty much it.

unfortunately.

for aprilia owners.

Quote Originally Posted by rolph View Post
    ill look for mitsuba in the future
    do you know where to look for their products?

edit: found the website,while they don't sell directly....
    Last edited by rollracer; 07-06-2019 at 08:59 PM.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollracer View Post
    wheeew....seems pretty much it.

unfortunately.

for aprilia owners.

do you know where to look for their products?

edit: found the website,while they don't sell directly....
    i was looking at the ones listed on ebay there is one with the photos that show the M stamp on the back of the starter i would be asking the seller next time the make of the starter ,others listed show no M stamp ,when you see a aprilia box you would think its the genuine one ,i found when i opened the aprilia box it had a smaller box inside and just the same packaging as the chinese ones.

i was looking at the ones listed on ebay there is one with the photos that show the M stamp on the back of the starter i would be asking the seller next time the make of the starter ,others listed show no M stamp ,when you see a aprilia box you would think its the genuine one ,i found when i opened the aprilia box it had a smaller box inside and just the same packaging as the chinese ones.
    YES!! after some research i've found some online....amazon and ebay.i also see that ''arrowhead''' starters seems quite popular in the UK.made in UK,quite in the same price range compared to MITSUBA units.may worth a look at those as well.

the chinese units sells for 18 to 20$!!! i wouldn't feel full of joy at all learning my dealer sell me that crapp for 150$ !!!

apriliaforum expert
    So where is the link for these better starters? Half the summer is gone and after plugs, refreshing the fuel pump, threading the needle with the idle screw, fixing a fork seal, replacing pads and changing the gear and motor oil, my starter just took a shit in front of my house. I might be ready to sell this bike. Id rather be riding.

apriliaforum Junkie
    after reading through the thread yesterday i checked the starters i bought from aprilia superstore and sure enough they are not mitsuba starters ,gutted ,i've wondered why the bike not been starting good so i checked the other bike and it has a mitsuba starter so i tried that on the bike and frapp up it did straight away shame on you aprilia ill look for mitsuba in the future
    WHAT??? I bought one from them a while ago to keep on the shelf as a spare. Came in the Aprilia box and everything, so didn't think to open it to check, but I guess I'll have to now.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Relax View Post
    WHAT??? I bought one from them a while ago to keep on the shelf as a spare. Came in the Aprilia box and everything, so didn't think to open it to check, but I guess I'll have to now.
    At least I bought it from their EBAY store and used PAYPAL, so I have some recourse.

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Relax View Post
    At least I bought it from their EBAY store and used PAYPAL, so I have some recourse.
    so did i ,so does that mean we get a refund as its not OEM ,thing is its sold as OEM not sure how that would work ,they will say what is OEM its in there box ,i can post a picture of the chinese package and this oem one and you can see there made in the same place ,i must say it did last longer than the chinese ones advertised ,just didn't crank the bike over fast enough ,just nipped in the garage and yahhoo the bike fired up this could be a big problem for most xv fans ,so every one needs to look for a M on the back of there starter before they do anything else ,i really should hate this bike but i don't.ill be giving it a good thrashing on sunday

apriliaforum Junkie
    Phew! Mine has the “M” on the back of it.

apriliaforum Junkie
    so did i ,so does that mean we get a refund as its not OEM ,thing is its sold as OEM not sure how that would work ,they will say what is OEM its in there box ,i can post a picture of the chinese package and this oem one and you can see there made in the same place ,i must say it did last longer than the chinese ones advertised ,just didn't crank the bike over fast enough ,just nipped in the garage and yahhoo the bike fired up this could be a big problem for most xv fans ,so every one needs to look for a M on the back of there starter before they do anything else ,i really should hate this bike but i don't.ill be giving it a good thrashing on sunday
    I think the bottom line is that it was misrepresented even though they said it was OEM. The other angle is that it didn’t work when you received it (DOA). I’m pretty sure EBAY and/or PayPal usually side with the buyers, so try making a claim under one or both reasons and see what happens. You’ve got nothing to lose. But maybe before that, contact the seller to try an resolve it first.

apriliaforum Member
    Always claim via eBay. Under their SNAD policy, seller is responsible for return shipping. If you purchased outside of eBay using PayPal, buyer is responsible for return shipping.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast