Thread: '04 AA500 Electrical Issue

apriliaforum newb

'04 AA500 Electrical Issue

I do not know whether it's worth trying to diagnose or whether I should scrap the whole thing. My AA500 starts and off I go. It stumbles a few times, briefly losing power and the EFI light comes on like it turned off and then restarted instantly. I stopped for gas a couple of miles later, turned the key and it was dead. So I rolled it behind the gas station and, just before I started walking home, I tried it again and it started so I rode it home stumbling three or four times on the way.
    Any thoughts of where I can look first, or whether I should even try? I have 19k on it but have maintained it. I don't want to ride it and risk being stranded.
    One of the battery connectors broke last year so I drilled a hole through the remaining stump to make a U-connector. If I knew it was the control panel I would certainly not fix it, but would hate to lose it over something simple.

BTW, don't you just love how the electrical diagrams for these bikes are only "mostly right?"

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Battery.

apriliaforum expert
    Battery or it could be the ignition pickup which can get flaky working intermittently making trouble shooting difficult until they fail completely. They can get microfractures in them that open up only when their hot at first but cool off enough to give a good reading by the time you put a meter on them and it may take a while before the fractures in the pickups widen out enough so that they don't close back up any longer when they cool.

apriliaforum newb
    Thank you all. Rocky, forgive my ignorance, but do you know what they call the ignition pickup? I do not see that on the parts diagram nor find it in the manuals.
    I did replace the battery with an AGM type last summer and haven't ridden much since then - a year ago I bought a Dodge Challenger R/T and it's a lot of fun - and I do keep it on a tender. Still, this issue my have begun to rear its head about that time.
    How could a battery cause this behavior? My experience is that a weak battery won't start it and a dead on won't let it run at all. I really appreciate your help.

apriliaforum expert
    Its hard to say as they had a few different versions of the stator with some including the pickup as a separate part. Some part listing may call it a crankshaft position sensor or something similar.

It should look like the black plastic part mounted on the slotted metal arm seen on this stator from a newer Piaggio 500cc bike however might be integral with the stator on the Atlantic 500.